Help with Scotlands People Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Scotlands People Search

James Stewart was born ca 1797 and died on 5 Jun 1845, according to the gravestone I have found, he was buried in Dunnet, Caithness. I am trying to find his death reg on Scotlands People in the hope that I might find more details on his birth/parents. At the moment the only entry for a James Stewart I can find who died around that time is one who is registered on 14 jun 1845 in Edinburgh. Would that be likely to be him - were all deaths registered at that time?

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

It's a bit of a puzzle! James is not with the family (wife Helen and children) in 1841 but is this him in 1841?

Piece: SCT1841/24 Place: South Ronaldshay -Orkney Enumeration District: 6
    Civil Parish: St Mary Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
    Folio: 15 Page: 1
    Address: Brough

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    STEWART James M 40 Mason Outside Census County (1841)
    CROW Alexander M 25 Mason Apprentice Outside Census County (1841)
    REID James M 20 Mason Apprentice Outside Census County (1841)
    BROTCHIE David M 15 Mason Apprentice Outside Census County (1841)

The death registered in Edinburgh is the likely burial date which is different from that in Dunnet (picture of the gravestone is at http://www.oddquine.co.uk/gravestone...t/SN853394.jpg) so I suspect it is not him. Also the gravestone lists daughter Margaret who died 1847: I can't find her death on Scotlandspeople either.

Interestingly there seem to be no OPR deaths at all recorded in Dunnet parish on Scotlandspeople so there is a mystery here.

(familysearch is playing up at the moment so I can't look at the baptism records of the children etc)
    Last edited by Bertie; 31-07-13, 18:29.

Comment

Parish of Dunnet death OPRs only exist for the period 1751 - 1756, according to my information from Aberdeen and North East Family History Society.
      Death OPR's tend to be few and far between in Scotland in general.
      Statutory registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Linda - if you go to caithness.org there is someone who will look up Kirk Session Records as they contain payments for the bell being rung, coffin, shroud etc.

I think it would be a good idea to contact the person on the thread and see if there are Stewart records.

If none, you will probably just have to accept that there is no burial record as such - in any event records before 1855 are very unlikely to contain names of parents.

I suspect the STEWARTs were from elsewhere as there is no baptism in Dunnet for a STEWART before 1820: do you have options for a James born c.1797 elsewhere in Scotland?
        Last edited by Bertie; 31-07-13, 19:25.

Comment

Hi Bertie, that certainly looks a good possibility for him in 1841, he is proving very elusive. I have a copy of his marriage entry from 1831, but that gives no details of parents - he married Helen Spence. I think he was local, at marriage his residence was Dunnethead, and if the headstone is correct was born about 1797.

It looks like he took a load of apprentices to Orkneys for work. I wonder if there would be records for apprenticeships?

Thanks for your help.
          Linda

Comment

If you think James took the apprentices to Orkney, then perhaps they all came from the same place?

Why not try and locate them in the 1851 census? There’s only 3 Alexander Crow entries (Aberdeen, Angus & Glasgow) and 1 David Brotchie (in Thurso). Might be worth a few credits on SP to see if they both came from the same place?
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions, will go through them properly tomorrow and see if I can get further with him.
              Linda

Comment

as herkie said civil registration began in 1855 in scotland. from the 16th century-1854, you have parish registers. now, scotlandspeople only has those for the roman catholics and the church of scotland. all the dissenting churches (non conformist) are not online.

deaths and burials were very rarely recorded in scotland pre 1855. i have no idea why. have you looked for a will? the index is free to view results. and costs 10 credits regardless, if you find one.

so i would say there are no burials recorded period, or he may have been non conformist. parish registers are pot luck too.

Comment

Working...
                X