Query on a baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query on a baptism

Daniel Knight Bap.jpgI have a Daniel Knight born 30 8 1899 Baptised 3 Apr 1904 along with his Sister Antoinette , The mother is Antoinette Knight.
    On the bap it says Mother is Antoinette Father is Daniel Grady, this has been corrected to show his name as Daniel Knight Mother a single woman.
    Antoinette married Daniel 4 Oct 1903 so she was married at this bap , I am not having any luck finding him at all after 1911 .
    As she had married Daniel by this time why would the curate change his name ? I always thought if the Father was okay about it you could use his surname.

It suggests to me that Daniel was Antoinette's child before she married Daniel senior, when she was Antoinette Knight.

Then as a couple, they baptised their daughter Antoinette and she has the surname Grady.

P'raps?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks STG I did think that but wondered why the curate took the fathers name off? think I have found him now under Grady in the Electoral Role

Comment

Yes if father is OK about it you can use his surname, or any other as long it is not for fraud BUT the curate was recording the fact that Daniel was born to a single mother called Antoinette Knight. If you look at the entries children are listed just by their christian name (surnames are not used in a baptism service) the surname listed is that of the parent.
        Also, as baby Daniel was born in 1899 and Antoinette didn't marry Daniel Grady until 1903 there is no evidence that Daniel Grady was the father.
        Last edited by JudithM; 31-07-13, 15:45.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks Judith am sure I have found him up to 1928 now calling himself Grady, just trying to find either a marriage or a death thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X