Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with newspaper coverage 1861

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the death of a relative - George Beaumont age 22. A slater in Glasgow. He has an accident at work, and died with a fractured skull. He died on 13th May 1861. I can imagine it would have been noted in the newspaper.

Thank you in advance,

Eileen Mcnaught

Eileen, sorry to say I haven't found anything of relevance when searching for George Beaumont in 1861.
    Not all newspapers are on line and no one site has total coverage of all those that are.
    Would it be worth e-mailing the main library in Glasgow with your inquiry? They may at least be able to tell you what newspapers were around then and the web addresses of any relevant sites you could search for newspaper coverage.
    Good luck.
    Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hello Janet,
      Thank you for taking the tim to look for me.
      I´ll keep plodding along.
      Kind regards, Eileen Mcnaught

Comment

Eileen,
        I searched the Glasgow Herald for May 1861 but there were no results for Beaumont unfortunately.
        Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          Eileen,
          I searched the Glasgow Herald for May 1861 but there were no results for Beaumont unfortunately.
          Christine
          Good morning Christine,

Thank you very much for your help. I was about to subscribe to the Glasgow Herald for 48 hours at I think 6.95 pounds.
          So, you have saved me not only time but a bundle of cash too.

Thank you, kindest regards,

Eileen Mcnaught

Comment

Hi Eileen,
            Glad I've saved you some cash - spend it on something nice...
            I don't know where you are based, but here in Lancashire, I can access the Gale 19th Century British Newspaper Archive which includes the Glasgow Herald via my local library membership. It can be accessed from home, not just from library PCs and it doesn't cost a penny so it might be worth your while checking this out for any future newspaper searches.
            Regards,
            Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              Hi Eileen,
              Glad I've saved you some cash - spend it on something nice...
              I don't know where you are based, but here in Lancashire, I can access the Gale 19th Century British Newspaper Archive which includes the Glasgow Herald via my local library membership. It can be accessed from home, not just from library PCs and it doesn't cost a penny so it might be worth your while checking this out for any future newspaper searches.
              Regards,
              Christine
              Hello Christine,

I live in Germany, so have no access to the libraries in GB. I will certainly try and connect up with the newspaper archives. I do have an English membership card for the library, perhaps that will help me. Once again, thank you for all your help. It has been great.

Best wishes, Eileen

Comment

Working...
              X