Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Irish Constabulary Officers

Hi

Wondering if anyone has access to the book 'Royal Irish Constabulary Officers: A Biographical and Genealogical guide: 1816-1922' by James Herlihy.

If so would you be willing to check info on a James Jones Lindsay please.

Many thanks

Dermot

If you don't get any luck here, it might be worth asking on the Royal Irish Constabulary forum, if you haven't already done so.

I joined some time ago and seem to remember it wasn't simply registering on the site and posting on the forum - I think I had to submit my query first before they would allow me to join!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the link Elaine

Comment

Dermot,

Another option is to contact the PSNI Museum in Belfast. They have all the former RIC officers service records and will let you have a copy for a fee. (£25 I think, but you’ll need to verify that). See:

Elwyn
        Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Probably not much help to you as you live in Devon, but they do have a copy in The National Archives at Kew. Maybe if someone is going to TNA Kew, they may be able to help, otherwise it will be the cost of a search through Kew which can be quite costly, probably the same as Belfast. You could also google TNA Discovery

to see if the name comes up, but not everything is on Discovery so that may or may not work. Best bet is to see if someone can help you re a visit to Kew.

I was able to look at this book and from it find the records at TNA of a Great Uncle who was serving in the Irish Constabulary, before it became Royal Irish Constabulary. All the records for the IC/RIC are at the National Archives Kew. The RIC give pension details but the IC records do not! That was my bad luck!!

I also got in touch with Jim Herlihy himself as he is pleased to hear from people who have relatives in the IC/RIC, although I did this after I got the records from Kew, as he is after all, interested in selling his own books. He has written many books, google Amazon for more information.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 29-07-13, 15:08.

Comment

Working...
          X