Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone researching the Jay family in Blaxhall Suffolk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone researching the Jay family in Blaxhall Suffolk?

Hi everyone having got a birth certificate for a member of my family, Robert Jay who was born in June 1842 in Blaxhall Suffolk. His father was Robert Jay, mother was Harriet Jay, formerly Gooding. Appreciate any help from anyone who may have any information on this family, also if there were any other children. Loving all the information that is available on the forum. Thanks for any help you can provide. Emmie

Emmie,

do you have the family on the census at all? do you subscribe to Ancestry or Findmypast at all?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Emmie, have you had a look in our Gedcom at all... click on the link http://www.familytreeforum.com/ged_index.php enter the surname Jay in the second box down

you might be very surprised if you get a match, then click on the members username on the far right and you can then send them a PM [private message] to initiate contact.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Emmie View Post
        Hi everyone having got a birth certificate for a member of my family, Robert Jay who was born in June 1842 in Blaxhall Suffolk. His father was Robert Jay, mother was Harriet Jay, formerly Gooding. Appreciate any help from anyone who may have any information on this family, also if there were any other children. Loving all the information that is available on the forum. Thanks for any help you can provide. Emmie
        Not specifically the Jay family. However, my great-grandfather's sister Louisa Sadd married Alfred Jay in Blaxhall, 14 October 1882. His parents were James and Hannah.
        There is an interesting book called Blaxhall's Living Past.
        Joy

Comment

For information, searching for the marriage of his parents in https://familysearch.org/search I see that they married 16 October 1836 Blaxhall.
          Joy

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for all the help. Has given me a lot of information to work on.

Comment

Hi
              I am afraid I cannot help you in relation to your specific Jay ancestor, but I have done a lot of work related to the Jay family from Cavendish Suffolk. They are a fascinating family. If, at a later date you find yourself linking into Samuel Jay, Cavendish b.1756, would willingly share information related to this side of the family.
              Last edited by bubblebelle; 01-08-13, 12:19. Reason: missed word
              Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks Bubblebelle, that will be great if I find a link to your family, to share any information. We seem to have links to Akenham and Witnesham as well. My main line at the moment is Robert Jay born 1842 who married Matilda Cracknell born 1843 in Witnesham. He also married Rosa Lydia Kidby born 1852 in Grundisburgh. Think I will have to obtain some more birth and marriage certificates to check the information I have, fascinating trails keep appearing. Emmie x

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                  Hi
                  I am afraid I cannot help you in relation to your specific Jay ancestor, but I have done a lot of work related to the Jay family from Cavendish Suffolk. They are a fascinating family. If, at a later date you find yourself linking into Samuel Jay, Cavendish b.1756, would willingly share information related to this side of the family.
                  MHI Bubblebelle. Samuel Jay 1756 is my 5X GG father. I would be delighted to know what information you have about him. I also notice that you are interested in the Perry family. My GG grandmother was a Perry.

Comment

Hi DrJ
                    Good to hear from you, it is always intriguing when someone makes contact.
                    Perry is not an uncommon surname, and I found 2 ladies marrying into the Jay family.
                    Dorothy Annie Perry and Maggie Maud Mary Perry. I do not believe there is any other link between these two ladies. My link is via Dorothy, although I do have another link in via Margaret Catling more commonly known as Peggy. Obviously if you descend from Dorothy there is a great deal more I can share and I would be intrigued if you descend from either Sally or Eric. Before the mods get into a frenzy these persons are all dead.
                    However if you descend from Maggie, I am happy to share details of the wider family, as I say the Jays really are an interesting family with a wealth of information available. I do not know how far you have delved into them but they are worthy of an episode of WDYTYA. I will private message you regarding Samuel Jay of Cavendish and some of the profile I have built up from old newspapers etc and then if you do not already have the information if you let me know your branch of the family I will share what I may have in relation to them and anything else you may be interested in. Bear with me if it takes me a while to do this.
                    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks Bubblebelle. Maggie Maud Mary Perry is my family's connection and I am based in Australia where she lived most of her life. I was in England in 2011 - in the very early stages of doing some family history investigations and got back as far as Samuel and Mary Jay. I was really delighted to find their tomb in Cavendish. I know that they owned a shop there at some point and were obviously quite wealthy (where did the money go???) but I haven't really succeeded in getting much more information about the family or being able to push that family line back very far. You are giving me great hope! My late grandfather (Philip Stafford Jay) had such an interesting life that he alone could take up half an episode of WDYTYA I'm sure. I will look forward to getting the private message from you.

Thanks so much - DrJ

Comment

Working...
                      X