Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marriage by Superintendent's & Registrars Certificates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage by Superintendent's & Registrars Certificates.

I may have asked this question a few years ago either here or another Site.
    One assumes that the issue of these certificates are recorded by the person issuing them. Has anyone any idea where the inspection of such 'Records' may be found. For such an important document, I'm surprised there isn't a Reference for them other than the Marriage Certificate.
    Another point; Who gets to keep the Superintendent's Certificates ?

Do you mean for people married in the Registry Office rather than a church/chapel?

Don't think they're viewable anywhere (e.g. Ancestry, FMP) you just have to order the certificate. Could be wrong though.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

As far as I know its just a marriage cert the same as any other. They can bee seen (as Guy often tells us) at the local register office but I think you have to be persistent and know your rights!

Marriages by these certificates were/are usually registry office marriages or else those which took place in non-conformist churches where the priest was not licensed to produce a certificate, unlike a C of E vicar.

Anne

Comment

I agree with the above posts. All marriages, no matter who performed them and issued the certificate, are recorded at the local Register Office and then at the GRO. They are no more "important" than any other certificate.

OC

Comment

The superintendant registrars certificate is just to certify that a notice of intended marriage has been displayed at a register office. If marrying in church the certificate is then given to the vicar to prove that the notice has been displayed. The marriage would then be registered in the normal way and a normal marriage cert issued. If you are asking where the s.r's certificate would be found - probably nowhere as there would be no need to retain it.
          See this link to the Church of England websie http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/you...rtificate.aspx
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

What prompted my post was that I'm transcribing a Marriage Register in Liverpool c 1861 and a few such 'certs' have appeared when I seldom see them. Obviously these are marriages where Bride & Groom wanted a Church Ceremony.
            I'm only interested in the 'Records' of such Certificates and it seems to be that none are kept.

Comment

> Obviously these are marriages where Bride & Groom wanted a Church Ceremony.

I'm still not understanding this. Can you possibly bear to explain a little more?

Comment

Well if Alan was transcribing a church register the couples he found must have married in church. The SR certificate means that instead of having banns read out in church the intention to marry is displayed in a register office. Perhaps these couples didn't want their names read out in public for some reason.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks JudithM. I get it now!

Comment

A modern example is a groom living in England marrying a bride in Scotland in the Church of Scotland. The bride has the banns read 3 times in her home church where she is to be married. The groom has details displayed at his local register office for 3 weeks and is then given a certificate to give to the Church of Scotland minister. At least, that's how I remember it - it was more than 45 years ago!
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

John, do you know what happens to the 'Certificate' once the Marriage Ceremony is over?...............who retains it?

Comment

Probably the vicar conducting the service - he would also get a "note" from the vicar of the "away" parish if the banns had had to be read in two different parishes.
                        In the days when one was allowed to handle the original registers (rather than viewing on film and then fiche) I came across one marriage register where the vicar had popped such notes (or copies he had made) into the appropriate pages of the register. He had also included notes to record parental consent had been given in the case of minors.
                        What made a big impact on me was how tiny the pieces of paper were - it was heavy quality paper, and after the message had been written it was cut out and the tiny scrap of paper folded and preserved. As I was copying out each marriage of interest onto its own sheet of paper, it made me realise just how precious a commodity paper had been a century or so ago, and how you would have found it in only a very few homes.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Fascinating Jay...........thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                            John, do you know what happens to the 'Certificate' once the Marriage Ceremony is over?...............who retains it?
                            No idea - all I retained was the bride and a marriage certificate!
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

So you retained a Bride, John....................giggled when I read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X