new search ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new search ideas?

I am posting this query from another forum. I can't give the name of the lady being searched for in case she is still alive, but I'm just trying to get suggestions of where someone could search next for more info.
    The lady was born in June 1916 in England (birth reg found, certificate obtained)
    She got married and had 3 children in the 1940's, in the same area as she was born (all certificates obtained)
    Her last child was born in 1948, and her husband died 2 years later (certificate obtained, informant is his mother)
    All the children were placed in care, and 1 daughter was adopted and moved to NZ. It is a relative of this daughter who is helping her search.
    The daughter already has her adoption file, and knows from this that the mother's whereabouts were known until the late 50's, but that in 1960 she left her rented accommodation and gave no forwarding address. Prior to that, she had tried to regain custody of her children, and this info is also in the file.
    Her daughter has searched for a re-marriage or death with no luck so far.
    I haven't posted in the adoption forum, as the daughter already has that info, but can anyone suggest somewhere/something to help her find out what happened to her mother after 1960?
    Thank-you all
    Darannon

The most obvious answers is to check the electoral registers, start locally and work outwards from the last known address.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Also, put a tree everywhere on the internet, with minimum and non-embarrassing information. Although it is unlikely that a 97 year old lady will be doing her family tree, someone else related to her might be.

If money is no object (!) then a tracing agency could be used.

OC

Comment

Re electoral registers, thank-you for the idea, I will suggest that. The lady who is searching is in NZ and her mother was last known in West London in 1959/60. Does anyone know if she can search online for the registers, or does she need to ask the local archives to physically search?

Comment

Just to clarify...... Is it known what happened to the other children... Is there any contact with them?
          If not, is it worth tracing them in the hope of a lead ..?
          Did the mother have a known trade or occupation..? ( thinking this might have a bearing on location where she later lived )

Gwyn

Comment

Press archives like http://www.ukpressonline.co.uk in the very outside chance she may have been mentioned in an article. Register to carry out more complex searches. Tip: when searching select> Display as Gallery. That shows the text as opposed to an thumbnail image of the page which is next to useless.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Have you tried, 192.com.................it might throw up something.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - before marriage, the lady was a children's nanny, the only photo of her that is known to exist shows her in her uniform in the 1930's. Her own 3 children weren't kept together, but have all had some contact with each other. I may be wrong, but I think it is only the daughter in NZ who wishes to search and find out what happened to their mother. She has gone over the usual possibilities of remarriage/death but found nothing. The lady left her last known address after failing to regain custody of the children, she fought very hard to prevent them being adopted, according to the court papers her daughter has seen.
                After her husband died in 1950 she couldn't cope with 3 young children, and spent several years in an asylum. The daughter has already seen records about this, and also has the last known address in 1960.
                Of course, the mother may have left the area and changed her name, to try and make a new start.
                Is there any way of searching for a death just by using the birth date? People have tried searching under her married and maiden name and found nothing so far.
                Thanks again
                Denise

Comment

Bit of a tangent but have you tried the Bona vacantia lists that start 1997 forthose who died intestate.
                  A list of unclaimed estates held by the Treasury Solicitor. Last updated 26th March 2024

failing that have you tried scotlands people ?
                  Angelina

Comment

have you considered emmigration?

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas, I am feeding them back and will let you know if any are successful. The lady was born 7th May 1916, her 3 children were born 1945, 46 and 48, and her husband died in 1950. She left her last known address in 1960. Based on no re-marriage or death being found, her daughter had assumed she was still alive. However, she would now be 97 so it's getting less likely.
                      IMO the lady left the area and changed her name after failing to get her children back, and this will make it near on impossible to find out what happened to her.
                      Still, the truth is out there somewhere, so fingers crossed they find something
                      Denise

Comment

I've just seen on another thread that I can give more detail, including name, by PM - if anyone would like this please let me know
                        Thanks
                        Denise

Comment

She could also have died recently - deaths from about 2007 forward are not on line and never will be, as I understand it.

I'm not sure why you think she would have changed her name - to what end? (Unless she remarried).

OC

Comment

Working...
                          X