Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website

I'm a bit confused about the software people are using.
    I new to all this but want to be able to share what I find out with the rest of my family as we're scattered around a bit and I can't just show them bits of paper.
    I want to be able to send them to a website for them to see where I'm up to. I don't know anything about this kind of thing but have seen this http://website.1and1.co.uk/website-builder and wondered if this is the kind of thing I need, or is there something else?
    Any advice gratefully received.
    I also want to know how people deal with any 'sensitive' inofrmation they might uncover and how/if they tell people about it.

Thanks.

A website builder like that will get you a basic website, and you can add pages of all sorts of stuff. However that format doesn't lend itself very well to publishing a tree.

Most family history programs will build a web friendly tree (Family Historian definately can), but all that will do is produce a page (or pages) that are open for anyone to view, so doesn't get round the sensitive stuff.

I use a PHP application called Webtrees (http://www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/). It is an open source (free!) application, with a very good support forum.

This allows you to upload a gedcom, and have registered users. The general public only see what you allow, the rest you have to register for.

However it isn't the easiest thing in the world to set up, and some website building and management skills would be an advantage, but the help is quite good. You would still need a web host (like 1&1) to set it up on.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

There are some suggestions on our Genealogy Software page in the reference library. See section: Publishing your data to the internet

There are a few members on here who use The Next Generation software - if you want to see an example click on the link in my signature.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        There are a few members on here who use The Next Generation software - if you want to see an example click on the link in my signature.
        -do -

Also, TNG has a user forum, with a thread where users post their sites:

Comment

Brilliant, thanks everybody, I'll have a look at those now.

Comment

Tribal Pages for me as I am a complete computer idiot. You can have a free tree or pay for something better - the free one suits me fine. You can have various levels of privacy.

I leave sensitive stuff off any online tree. If I set up a good rapport with a contact, I might dish the dirt, depends what it is.

OC

Comment

Working...
            X