Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 Census Clarification.

Morning all,

I've got an 1841 census off GR but it's all blurred. Could someone look on FMP or Ancestry to see if they have a census that is more readable and what information it holds?

The gentleman in question is William Smith born Derby Hills, Derbyshire abt 1813. I think he was living in Hartshorne, Derbyshire in 1841.

This is him in 1851 and 1861 Census. By the 1851 Census he had married Mary and had children.

1851 - Ticknall, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire

William Smith 38 Linen born Derby Hills, Derbyshire

Mary 33 born Ticknall, Derbyshire

Elizabeth Smith 8 born Ticknall

Thomas Smith 7 born Ticknall

Job Smith 2 born Ticknal

Robert Smith 4mths born Ticknall

1861 – Ashby Road, Ticknall, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire

William Smith 47 Linen Quarry Man? born Derby Hills

Mary 43 Ticknal

Robert Smith 10 Work At Brickyard Ticknall

Ann Smith 6 Poh? Worker Ticknall

William Smith 3 Coal Miner Ticknall

I don't know what number they lived at in 1851 and 1861.

Thanks

Craig

There are quite a few William Smiths. Is there another name on the page that you could read, perhaps?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Hi SmallTownGirl,

A couple of names up on the census looks like William Toft aged 25?
      Craig

Comment

In 1841 Census Ref; HO107/191/15/Civil Parish, Derby Hills..............a William Smith is listed living with 60 yr old mother presumably?
        This William is living Derby Hills where yours was born.

Comment

Think I've got him. Want to PM me your email address?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
            In 1841 Census Ref; HO107/191/15/Civil Parish, Derby Hills..............a William Smith is listed living with 60 yr old mother presumably?
            This William is living Derby Hills where yours was born.
            Thank you AlanC
            Craig

Comment

The 1841 census that you've got has William as born outside the country, so perhaps you should re-consider the other 1841 entry

I think it says "widow" crossed out against Mary's name, but I can't read her age. At first glance it looks like 100 to me!

Comment

I agree with that STG. Thanks for that.

The age does look like 100 but also looks like 65. Maybe some more pairs of eyes are needed here to get the general consensus of what this is.
                Craig

Comment

Am still a bit stumped with that 1841 census.

Do you have his marriage certificate to Mary? If not, there's this one, which is relatively close by and seems to fit, date-wise (1842) for the birth of 1st child listed in 1851 as being 8yo (so b.abt 1843)

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I've tried looking for Smiths in Ticknall, but there are loads, so clearly more than one family which makes it tricky for sorting out who's who.

Comment

I don't have anything apart from the census returns etc as i was asked by my elderly neighbours to help with them with a couple of brick walls that they have. I will ask them if they have any information on William Smith especially a marriage from him and mary.
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                      Am still a bit stumped with that 1841 census.

Do you have his marriage certificate to Mary? If not, there's this one, which is relatively close by and seems to fit, date-wise (1842) for the birth of 1st child listed in 1851 as being 8yo (so b.abt 1843)

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I've tried looking for Smiths in Ticknall, but there are loads, so clearly more than one family which makes it tricky for sorting out who's who.

That seems to be about right STG as Elizabeth's birth is on familysearch too 4 months later. Melbourne, Derbyshire i've looked up on a map it's about 3 miles away from Ticknall so i'd say that's them.
                      Last edited by cpdavis35; 26-07-13, 14:53.
                      Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X