Find My Past Blog - Ask the expert – inmate ancestor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Ask the expert – inmate ancestor

Our resident expert Stephen Rigden, pictured below, answers your queries.
    From Ann Gibson:
    ‘How do I find out what Herbert Gibson was in Wakefield prison for? He’s listed in the 1911 census as an inmate.’
    Stephen says:
    ‘Thanks for the question.

I find the simplest way to try to locate possible archival holdings is to check the central Access to Archives (‘a2a’) website, which The National Archives runs. It contains catalogue information from a great many contributing local authority record offices and other archives. I use the advanced search tab. Doing so shows that the West Yorkshire Archive Service has a large holding of records for Wakefield Prison under ref C118. This includes admission registers 1879-1964 and calendars of prisoners 1872-1915, both of which should include Herbert Gibson.
    I’d also mention the growing collection of criminal justice records in the Crime, Prisons & Punishment 1770-1934 section on findmypast.co.uk. The first batch of records has already been released, with more to follow later this year. I know that the collection includes records relating to Wakefield Prison but I think not for the date you require, for example, we have digitised and will be publishing registers of prisoners in Wakefield 1847-1866.’
    If you’d like to send your question to Stephen, please register or opt to receive newsletters in ‘my account’. Stephen only has time to answer a couple of queries each month but if yours wasn’t answered this month, you could be lucky next time!

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X