Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for missing m cert ?

Hi,

This is one of my longest standing brick wall, and I am hoping that you may be able to give me some more suggestions to try on my next visit to the UK - hopefully later this year.

Thomas William Bowyer b. 1856. Islington, Middlesex married ? Louise Richards b. 1857 . According to the censuses she was born St Luke's, Pancras, Middlesex or City Road, London. I have not found this marriage yet.

They had Louise b. 1877 St Pancras, Annie b.1879 Islington, Thomas b. 1882 St Pancras. I have their birth certs and Louise nee Richards is their mother. Other children are Alice b.1888, Edwin b. 1889 , George b. 1893 all born St Pancras, Lilly b. 1896 Hampstead London.

I would like to take this family back, but without parents I can't.

Family stories from a relative with a fantastic recall has said that the Bowyers were plasters and builders, and that someone in the Bowyer family was from Petersfield.

I think this might be Thomas's line.

Thomas Bowyer 1 b.1806, builder m. Caroline Prideau, in St Pancras
    Their son Thomas Bowyer 2 b. 1834, plasterer m. Hannah ( Anna ) Underwood b. Petersfield, m in St Pancras
    Thomas William b. 1856 , plasterer m ? to Louise Richards.

Interestingly, all Thomas William's siblings were married in church and all their children were baptized. Thomas William's children appear not to have been baptized.

I have tried to collect all the Louise/a Richards and marry or kill them off. But my Louise seems to have dropped in from outer space.

Any suggestions , please ?

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Could this be your Louise? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VBD6-W6F
    Foxyloxy

Comment

Have you found Thomas William Bowyer before his marriage?

OC

Comment

Hi Foxy,

This could be my Louise, but I just don't know ! I tried to trace forward the mother ( transcribed by ancestry as Causte ), the sons and the aunt Betsy ( transcibed by ancestry as Betsy Genidge ), but had no luck there. I can find Louise in all the censuses from 1881, along with Thomas William Bowyer, until her death in 1912.

There are no stories handed down about Louise. Like I say she aapears to have dropped in from outer space !

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi OC,

If the family stories are correct, and I have the correct parents for Thomas William, then I can find him on the 1861 and 1871 censuses with his parents Thomas Bowyer 2 and Anna Underwwod. The 1881 census on, he is with Louise and the children.

If I could just find a marriage, that would hopefully confirm his parents and help me to get Louise's line back.

I have used ancestry and FMP, family search etc but just can't find a match.

If Louise had been RC, would the children have been baptized as Catholics ?

Thank you,

bcbrit

Comment

bcbrit

So, have you eliminated any other Thomas Bowyers, same age, same occupation, before 1881? What I'm trying to get at is how likely it is you have found the right one pre marriage.

If Louisa was RC then the children ought to have been baptised RC, but if Louisa wasn't married she might have been too afraid of the Priest to have the children baptised. It is also possible they were some other kind of nonconformist.

OC

Comment

I see Louise says separated on the 1911 census ? have you seen this in 1911
              Thomas William Bowyer born abt 1858 Paddington Builders Labourer with wife Sophia Agnes and family says married 30 years ???living in 5 Bryett Road Upper Holloway
              Maybe he and Louise never married ???

Comment

This Thomas married in Chelsea in 1881 to Sophia Agnes Davis, could be completely wrong of course? might be completely unconnected.

Comment

Nice find, Val!

Is the marriage of Louisa Bowyer in 1897 the daughter? DURH, yes of course it must be!

OC

Comment

bcbrit

I take it that is your post-it on Freebmd against the birth of Louisa Ellen? May I suggest you put a contact email address on it (use G-mail if you want to be safe). I got a very good contact this way!

I'm putting this here although I don't really think it is relevant:

June 1874 Bethnal Green, Thomas Bowyer to Harriet LOUISA Gibson. Can't see a Richards/Gibson marriage so as I say, most likely irrelevant.

OC

Comment

There is a Birth for a Harriett Louisa Gibson born 1856 Rotherhithe

Comment

i saw the bowyer gibson marriage too. i don't think thomas and louisa married.

Comment

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have worked my way through all the Thomas/Thomas William Bowyers of approximate ages, and married or killed them off. The Bowyer/Gibson marriage lived in Rotherhithe , and definitely not mine.

In the 1911 census Louise put herself down as separated. When she died in 1912 her daughter Annie put Louise down as a widow. However Thomas didn't die until 1930, and lived with Annie's sister Louise !

I haven't found Thomas William in the 1911 census yet. The general feeling is that he was out drinking somewhere.

On my next visit home, I think I will go to the records offices and trawl through the marriages, and see if it was missed.

Other than that, I will have to accept that there was no marriage, and that my brickwall will have to stand for a little longer.

bcbrit

Comment

It seems strange that they did not marry especially as Thomas as well as all his sibs were baptised. That is if Thomas and Anna are his parents of course. I had hoped to find a marriage for one of the possible sibs, with Thomas and Louisa as witnesses but it seems a lot of the children died young in that family.

I wondered about this one for Thomas 1911. Maybe the family knew little about him.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Vera

Comment

Ohh, Vera,

I hadn't seen that one ! It is a possibility - I shall write it down and see if I can find any further information.

Thank you,

bcbrit

Comment

Working...
                              X