Newspaper report for Coroner's inquest Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper report for Coroner's inquest Manchester

I have a death cert for Robert Lloyd age 45 died from a scald informant is Coroner Jas Chap(man) of the Borough of Manchester and he died at the Infirmary, Robert Lloyd, Engineer of No10 Pos........ Square, Hulme 30th Oct 1840.

I have searched the newspapers but not found anything but I am not very experienced at using the site from the library (gale)

any help appreciated

Edna
    Last edited by clematised; 20-07-13, 22:06.

Nothing coming up for the name in Manchester in 1840 on the newspaper archive website that I can see I'm afraid.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for looking glen there are no coroner records for that time period as they were destroyed so I am told.
      I think my only hope is the newspapers but its a bit hit and miss

Edna

Comment

I can't find anything for Robert Lloyd Lancashire 1840/41 - sorry.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for trying Jay, I am now at a brick wall here as I have no wife or parents for him so this was my last hope

Edna

Comment

As a thought maybe he isn't indexed (though they seem to be pretty good on that side of things), I wonder if there is a way of searching through an entire paper? A real long shot I know but I only used his name and Manchester as search criteria.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

i just put in the word 'inquest' and the town of the address. narrowing it down using years has worked in the past. but my relatives with inquests lived in small villages, so it was easy to find them with the name of the town, as they did not come up in a name search. maybe just see if you can get your hands on a manchester newspaper for the day or 2 previous to the date of registration on the death certificate.

Comment

Hi
                You could try emailing Manchester Family history society, they might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Comment

Death cert signed same day as death so 30th October 1840,

I tried for a couple of hours last night searching gale

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
                    Hi
                    You could try emailing Manchester Family history society, they might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/index.php

Thanks for the link Janet I have just sent off an e mail giving details and asking for advice

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                      Thanks for trying Jay, I am now at a brick wall here as I have no wife or parents for him so this was my last hope

Edna
                      Edna - if you have no wife or parents for him, can I ask how he fits into your tree? Is it via siblings?
                      Elaine

Comment

I, Robert Lloyd, Engineer of No10 Pos........ Square, Hulme 30th Oct 1840.
                        Trying to find the address on the 1841 census .. could it be Pomona Square ?
                        Elaine

Comment

With regards to newspapers and search methods, I found a couple of inquest reports en route when doing a blanket search by entering just surname, 20 year date span and name of a county. I then looked through the hits to see if there was anything of interest about MY family.
                          I've also used the same method and entered just a place name (villages only) - I've found reports of lots of inquests doing this, amongst all sorts of other stuff.

Maybe you need to go into the database and check which newspapers are included for that area of the country in the time frame of interest? It could be that the newspapers you want are not online yet.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have a marriage record for a son Edward Lloyd who gives his fathers name as Robert Lloyd and all the info I have for the family are in the Hulme area mostly Bloom Street, but the son died Mar 1840 the same year before Robert died, and Edward's son Edward Thomas was also born within days of Edwards death so no census details to be gained either, I am not certain this Robert is Edwards Father but clutching at straws at the moment.

The marriage said father was Plumber/Glazier so not an engineer

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Trying to find the address on the 1841 census .. could it be Pomona Square ?

Yes Elaine Pomona Square could be it, can you see who is living there in 1841 No10

Edna

Comment

There was nothing there that linked to the Lloyd surname. There appeared to be some numbering against the Ponoma Square entries but there wasn't a no.10 recorded.

.. so not a lot of help!
                                Elaine

Comment

I have the information now of the newspaper article from the Manchester Times and Gazette
                                  17th October 1840
                                  Man Scalded to Death, It seems he was in the employ of a Mr Jones Manufacturer of Hunt Street, he died the same evening in the Infirmary after noticing a screw leaking steam which he tightened and it came off leaking steam and scalding him badly. Verdict of accidental death.
                                  Still no further on with proving he is part of my FH

Thanks for looking Elaine

Edna

Comment

I wonder if it would help trying to find where Robert Lloyd (died 1840) is buried - there may be other family members buried alongside him.

I have a marriage record for a son Edward Lloyd who gives his fathers name as Robert Lloyd and all the info I have for the family are in the Hulme area ...
                                    The marriage said father was Plumber/Glazier so not an engineer
                                    No clues from the witnesses on the MC for Edward Lloyd???
                                    Elaine

Comment

robert lloyd bur.18 oct 1840, rusholme road cemetery, chorlton upon medlock, manchester.
                                      of hulme, age 45. cause of death: scalding. no.32031, grave number 155.

from FMP burials. with image. if you would like it (if you don't have access) PM me your email, and i'll send it to you.
                                      Last edited by kylejustin; 22-07-13, 09:23.

Comment

Thanks Kylejustin I have the burial record a friend sent it to me, I had that before I ordered the cert hoping to find the family member who reported the death, it looks like he was buried in a public grave Elaine.
                                        The witnesses on their marriage record were the brides brother and sister so no help there.
                                        I don't have a baptism for Edward Lloyd/Loyd (sometimes the name has just one L) with father Robert and have no idea if he was born Manchester or elsewhere.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X