No announcement yet.

New on FMP Current Electoral Registers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New on FMP Current Electoral Registers.

From 2002 till 2013

Linda

oh I thought somebody had already said this so I didn't ? brilliant isn't it I found me

Comment

Yes I found ME too...sad aren't we lol :D

Linda

Comment

I'm not on it. It's the edited register. You opt out when you fill out your electoral registration form. Remember this when searching it. The person may have opted out.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

This actually makes me quite cross!

You just try going to your local library or council office and asking to be allowed to browse the current electoral roll - they won't let you, they will only let you view your own entry, citing Data Protection. So how come a COMMERCIAL site is allowed to publish all this data-protected information?

OC

Comment

I sort of agree with you OC as I found somebody I know would be horrified to know its so easily available.

Comment

it is quite intriguing, maybe it's part of the 'living relatives' section they used to have. not any different to the phone book though is it?

Comment

I believe these records have been available on Findmypast for some time. The difference now is that they are included in a FMP subscription - previously you could only view via ppv.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

You just try going to your local library or council office and asking to be allowed to browse the current electoral roll - they won't let you, they will only let you view your own entry, citing Data Protection. So how come a COMMERCIAL site is allowed to publish all this data-protected information?

OC
                  I didn't know that OC...how strange then.

Linda

Comment

OC
                    I always understood that the Electoral register was a public record that anyone could view but of course your local library would only have the records for your area and in address order so very difficult to find someone just by names apart from scrolling through the whole lot!

I wonder if your local library got it wrong - looking at the organisations who can buy the (edited) register it includes direct marketing companies and they are no different to us looking at it and they could indeed choose to got to a library and hand copy it!

Margaret

Comment

According to the Information Commissioners Office this is the difference between the registers and how they should be used. Reading this, the local library was right to refuse you to browse as it is the Full register and therefore would breach the Data Protection Act.

If you're upset that commercial companies have your information then this is solved by ticking the box to stop commercial access next time your registration form comes through your letter box. Or contact your electoral registration officer now to have it removed.

This all changed in 2001. That's why with pre-2001 registers anyone can view them in an archive or library.
                      Last edited by keldon; 19-07-13, 10:57.
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

No, I couldn't care less who sees my information, that's not my beef.

I am extremely annoyed that I was categorically refused permission to browse the current electoral roll at my county library. They passed me onto the council offices who similarly refused me permission because, they said, this was contrary to Data Protection rules. (I was trying to find someone's full name and address in order to issue a county court summons).

Next time I'm near the county library I shall ask them what the current procedure is. If I am still refused permission then I shall be asking questions as to how FMP were allowed to BUY the information which I am not allowed to see.

OC

Comment

I am extremely annoyed that I was categorically refused permission to browse the current electoral roll at my county library. They passed me onto the council offices who similarly refused me permission because, they said, this was contrary to Data Protection rules. (I was trying to find someone's full name and address in order to issue a county court summons).
                          They are right. They cannot disclose the information. See my link my previous post.

If I am still refused permission then I shall be asking questions as to how FMP were allowed to BUY the information which I am not allowed to see.OC
                          I'm not trying to be flippant and sympathise with you, but in theory you could buy the Edited copy of the register yourself. Quote from the above link: "The edited register is updated and published once a year and can be sold to any person, organisation or company and used for any number of purposes, including direct marketing. "

However, the relevant entry you are seeking may not be in it if they declined an entry in the Edited version.
                          Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

I am confused! So why do the council offices/library hold copies of the complete register but not the edited one?

OK, I think I understand (!). I can check my own entry against the complete register but they have no obligation to let me check the edited version.

OC

Comment

now deleted contained incorrect information.
                              Last edited by keldon; 19-07-13, 14:35.
                              Phil
                              historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

OC
                                Any council who refuses you access to the full Electoral Roll is breaking the law.
                                Citing Data Protection is nonsense it is a legal requirement that the Electoral Roll is open to full public scrutiny. This may involve being monitored as one accesses the register but it is open to public inspection by law.
                                It should however be remembered one is not allowed to copy or make notes from the full register.

The edited version is open for sale to anyone.
                                Cheers
                                Guy
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I'm pleased Guy has arrived. Someone who always knows these things!
                                  This seems to go against the ICO page. I wish they would make their mind up.
                                  I do see from the Elmbridge Borough Council website that they do allow access (unless this phrased wrongly). 'A copy is held at Elmbridge Civic Centre and anyone can view it under supervision.'
                                  If you can't find what you are looking for, it could have been moved or deleted.

This document from the Electoral Commission OC may find useful. (page 8 sets out the rights of access)
                                  Phil
                                  historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Thankyou Guy - I did suspect they were slapping me in the face with the Data Protection thingy (which does seem to be the fallback position for almost everything they cannot be bothered to find for you these days, lol).

As it happens I did find the information I needed by going to the area where I THOUGHT the person lived and asking in the shop! They were very helpful and had obviously never heard of Data Protection.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                    X