Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honora (Anna/Hannah) McDonough -where are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honora (Anna/Hannah) McDonough -where are you?

Sorry, another member of my "Irish knot" to unravel.

GRO index - birth reg Honora McDonna Q4 1877 Tynemouth Northumberland

familysearch - bp Anna McDonough (d/o Michael & Julia McDonough) 23 Dec 1877 at our Lady & St Wilfrid Blyth, Northumberland

1881 census - in the family home Blyth Northumberland http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=17256867

1891 census - with parents http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=16276572

I can't find anything for Honor/Honora/Anna McDonough/McDonna after this date e.g a marriage, death, census return, newspaper reference :(
    Can anyone help, please,?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

don't forget 'nora/norah' either. can't see anything, unless she married, there is a honora carpenter b.1878, newcastle wife of james living in all saints, northumberland in 1901.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 18-07-13, 12:14.

Comment

Not having much luck with this!
      Elaine

Comment

there is a death in newcastle, dec qtr 1976. nora mcdonough, b.25 dec 1887.
        i notice you have her birth dec qtr 1877.......since she is irish, and they had no idea of their ages, could this be a possibility? do you have a birth date?

also, did she have any other given names? like a confirmation name?

Comment

also a nora mcdonogh in northumberland north second district 1963, age 79, b.1884

Comment

Thanks everyone for your efforts

Kyle, Mrs James Carpenter was nee Honora Blewett.
            If either of the Nora McDonough deaths were for my lady, that would mean she hadn't married and so, theoretically, she should have appeared under her own name in both 1901 & 1911 census.
            I've done blanket searches of census 1901 & 1911 for Honora, Nora, Honour, Hannah & Anna born Blyth 1877 +/- 5yrs and then tried to check the marriages in the results. (Her sister Mary Ann married as McDonald not McDonough) I've also tried Cowpen for place of birth, but with no success.
            Her sisters all married in their late teens and then remained in the town or next village until they died.

I don't have her BC, but Q4 reg would indicate birth mid Aug at the earliest and December bp reinforces 1877 as year of birth.
            I don't have confirmation details for any of the family.

I'll now try to track back from both the deaths that Kyle found.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Honora's been on the back burner for several years. She's not vital to my research , but you know how we like to fasten off all those loose threads. ;)

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think the 1976 Newcastle death reg was for Mrs Austin McDonough, nee Norah Toole.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

is it possible she went to scotland or ireland? maybe even the US?
                Last edited by kylejustin; 18-07-13, 14:46.

Comment

Anything's possible, Kyle -

As she's at home in 1891 census, I was able to have a quick look at sailings FROM the UK post 1890, but I didn't see anything likely. However, that wouldn't exclude Scotland or Ireland, although I feel leaving home and a move to either of those would have followed a marriage. Except for an older brother of Honora (who couldn't marry his woman because she already had a husband who'd cleared off to Ohio) all the rest of the extended family married. I suspect this could, perhaps, have been due to pressure from the church. The first two parish priests at the family church ministered there for 88 years between them - so I don't think much would have gone off without them knowing about it. The priest was certainly a regular visitor to the home of one of Honora's sisters who had married a non-RC and whose younger children attended the C of E church.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...0738239&recoff=

This is all I can find right birth reg area but nothing else. Can't even see anything on the children. Put it up but will look further to eliminate.

Vera

Comment

That's an interesting find, Vera.
                      Can't find a before or after though ????

Thomas Stoppard, theatrical manager - well, he'd be very acceptable, but sounds a bit posh for the coalminer's daughter.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thomas Stappard mar Honoria Lynn Q2 1896 Croydon reg dist

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'm trying to stop myself chasing them down. Back to the original query. One of the children was b in Croydon.

Vera

Comment

Vera, thank you so much for your time and effort on my behalf.

Could be, but I had thought that that death might have been for this young lady

She doesn't seem to have been with her parents (or anywhere else) in 1901 and I haven't found a marriage for her 1891 - 1901.

Honora will have to go back on to the "missing" list.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes that looks good for that death Jay. These Mc's are v difficult to find. You would think with a name like Honora however she couldn't hide. Vera

Comment

Lol, I have enough "missing" McDonough persons between the north bank of the Tyne and the south bank of the Blyth to keep this forum fully engaged in look ups and inquiries for a month.
                                They give me a headache and I have to go and lie down in a darkened room.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Apologies for getting your name wrong Janet. Its this heat. My grandfather was b in Willington Quay but then the family moved south of the Tyne. I had a McCoulough/Mc Coulough/McCullogh the second wife of my great grandfather. Got lucky and revealed previous marriages, many children, workhouse residence. You just need to get lucky on that McDonough. You would think the enumerators had learnt how to spell the Irish Mc's by then. Anyway that's who I'm blaming until Honora turns up.

Vera

Comment

LOL, Vera - you had McCoulough/Mc Coulough/McCullogh in Willington Quay :D - One of my McDonoughs had moved to there from Blyth by 1914 when he enlisted at Wallsend. Across the road from him lived another family also named McDonough and alleged NOT to be connected. ( I think they might have been.)
                                    McCoulough & McDonough in the same neighbourhood -enough to give anyone the heebie jeebies.

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have resurrected this thread re Honora/Honour McDonough because the following 1901 census return caught my eye

Place & date of birth for Mrs Honour Miller not a match for my Honor/Hannah/Anna/Nora (born Q4 1877 in Blyth, Northumberland) BUT in 1901 James & Honour Miller lived at 21 Crofton Terrace, Cowpen, Blyth, whilst my Honor McDonough's parents lived at 13 Crofton Terrace.

I can't find a possible marriage for James Miller to a Honour, or a Miller & McDonough/McDonna/Donach marriage 1897 - 1901.

I tried going forward 10 years to follow through the Millers, but it seems their family circumstances had changed:-
                                      Death of Honour Miller, 30 yrs, Q2 1908 burial 4 April 1908 Blyth RC church

1911 James was still in Cowpen, but with a new "wife" and also a daughter Honor

Honor's birth was reg Tynemouth Q2 1910
                                      There is a Q1 1911 Tynemouth marriage reg for James Miller & Sarah Walsh.

Can anyone find anything to tie in James Miller with my Honor McDonough, or Honour anything else?

(A Honor Miller went on to marry a Joseph Carroll in 1927 - a couple of generations earlier one of the extended McDonough clan married a Carroll, before sailing off to the USA. Probably nothing to do with Hannah's husband, but this lot did seem to marry distant relatives/family contacts.)

Jay
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-07-14, 12:31.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                      X