Need your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your opinion

So I've been dating this girl for over 7 months... Turns out her grandma has some inside knowledge I knew nothing about. Try to follow along:
    my great grandma, and my girlfriends great grandpa were first cousins. Is this cause for alarm? It's a little strange but neither of us are too worried by it. I know at that level there are like 8,000 people, but still. Is it too close to mingle? Your guys' thoughts would be appreciated.

no cause for alarm at all, it is perfectly ok to date and possibly later marry and have children with your first cousin.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I would only be worried if it was first cousins marrying - particularly into a family of inter marriages.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Since my maternal grandparents were first cousins, I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

At least one of our members has married her first cousin.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

so you share a set of great great grandparents? big deal! there's usually one sometimes two cousin intermarriages in anyone's tree.

Comment

It is only a cause for concern if either or both of you have serious inherited diseases in the family - and that concern would apply just as much as if you were not related at all, so nothing to worry about.

OC

Comment

Since first cousins are allowed to marry then you and your girlfriend who are much removed from that closeness would certainly not have any impediment as far as the law is concerned.
              As has been said the only issue is a genetic consideration in respect of any children you might produce and the statistics would suggest it is not a problem unless there is a suggestion of inherited medical problems.

Margaret

Comment

No problems whatsoever. My OH and I are 1st cousins and our son is as normal as any other child. Well as normal as he can be!!!!
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Skjay View Post
                  So I've been dating this girl for over 7 months... Turns out her grandma has some inside knowledge I knew nothing about. Try to follow along:
                  my great grandma, and my girlfriends great grandpa were first cousins. Is this cause for alarm? It's a little strange but neither of us are too worried by it. I know at that level there are like 8,000 people, but still. Is it too close to mingle? Your guys' thoughts would be appreciated.
                  So you share Great Great Grandparents making you 3rd Cousins........ most countries in the world 1st cousins can legally marry and legislator wouldn't make it legal if there was any greater risks to having healthy children...... only if you both have family history of the same genetic problems and that goes for anyone regardless of related or not would you have a greater risk of passing those genetic issues onto children.

So no need to be concerned....
                  Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
                  X