No announcement yet.

Father not named on birth certificate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father not named on birth certificate!

My mother's father (my granddad) isn't named on her birth cert. Is there anywhere else that I could possibly look to find out this information? I don't think my grandmother ever told any family members who it was and she is long gone now so can't ask her!!

I think you'll find it pretty difficult I'm afraid.

I presume your mother asked and didn't receive a reply - only possibility is an old family friend who she might have confided in.

Did she get any child maintenance - probably not if she didn't reveal who the father was. Even so I don't think the records would be available.

Only thing I could think of is perhaps your mother having a middle name being a surname? Have you checked your mothers christening/baptism - the vicar may have written something in the parish record.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I'm pretty resigned so it being impossible to find out. Mum wasn't given a middle name. My Mum was brought up in a children's home and foster home until she was 13, her brother was actually her cousin and my granddad was actually her step-dad (lots of other stuff going on as well!)......this has all only been coming to light over the last 15 years or so, well after my Grandma passed away and all of her peers. Are parish records something I can check online? I'm in Australia which makes it difficult when this all happened in Edinburgh.

Comment

A long shot - but you could try the local newspapers for up to a couple of years after the birth, using the forename and surname of the child's mother as search criteria. I don't know what date span you're working in, but I found a couple of reports (1920s - 1930s) of magistrates' court proceedings, which included orders for child maintenance. They named the mother who was claiming maintenance and also the man who was served with the order. In my two cases, the men concerned must have accepted responsibility for maintenance as they agreed to the payment orders. In my book, they were admitting paternity.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

genetic testing. It will depend if an ancestor's on that side is in the database (now or in the future). The closer to the ancestor in question, the better.

Not cheap, but getting cheaper!

Comment

Wonder if there are any records in the kirk sessions? I found some records in the 1860's in Scotland where the presumed father was summonded to the kirk sessions to account for his behaviour - but this was in Kincardineshire.

I don't know what Edinburgh was like or if it carried on into the 1900's.

No I think the church records have to be viewed at the National Archives in Edinburgh - do you know the parish.

Perhaps the children's home records might be available?
            Last edited by JBee; 16-07-13, 18:19.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

One peculiarity of Scottish birth, marriage and death registrations is that they can be corrected/amended at a later date. With deaths this happens if there is an inquest which changes or clarifies the cause of death. With an illegitimate birth, there is sometimes a statement of enquiries made as to the father's details. These changes are recorded in a Register of Corrected Entries (abbreviated RCE). The birth index entry will make reference to the RCE; the RCE entry will be supplied by ScotlandsPeople along with the birth certificate. The only example I have is from the 1850s.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X