Now I'm confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I'm confused!

Sorry for the long post, but I have a lot of information for my 2x GGF, Wilhelm Bowinkelmann, but a lot of confusion. Bowinkelmann isn't common, even in Germany, so I think I have the right man all the way through until the naturalisation papers.

1858: Arrived London from Rotterdam 29th March, occupation baker, country of origin Preus? (abbreviation of Prussia?)

1860: Marriage to Wilhelmina Freckenhauser 11th Nov St Mary's and St. Michael's RC Church, Shadwell. He is aged 22 and a scum boiler, address 12 Luntley Place, Whitechapel. I have the MC.

1861: (RG9; Piece 267; Folio 93; Page 34). Still at Luntley Place with Wilhelmina, aged 22. I can't read his occupation, born Germany.

1871: (RG10; Piece 520; Folio 108; Page 23). Now at 74 New Road, St. Mary Whitechapel and still with Wilhelmina. Age 32 born Germany, but he is now a stick manufacturer. They now have 2 children, William 9 and Theresia 8, both born Middlesex followed by a word I can't read.

Theresia is my great grandmother, I have a possible birth index entry from Q2 1863 of Theresia Bowin Kelmann, Mile End 1c 551. I don't have the BC.

1881: (RG11; Piece 473; Folio 36; Page 3). Now at 19 Plummers Row, Mile End Old Town and still with Wilhelmina. Aged 42 and still a stick manufacturer, born Westphalia, Germany. They have 2 children William 19 and now Hannah 18. I suspect that Theresia/Hannah are the same child, but no idea why the name change; Hannah never appears again.

There are a further 8 potential children from this marriage on FreeBMD, all born and died between censuses.

1886: Theresia married Ernst Joseph Wieland (my great grandfather and the source of my surname), 7th March, St. Boniface's German RC Church, Mile End. Her address is 19 Plummers row and her father is William Bowinkelmann, walking stick manufacturer. I have the MC.

1891: (RG12; Piece 300; Folio 113; Page 3). Now at 23 Turner Street, Mile End, still with Wilhelmina. He is aged 52 and a stick manufacturer, born Westphalia (Naturalised B.S) Germany. William is still with them aged 29.

This is where the trail ends. Although William Jr married in 1893 to Helena Turpin (I don't have the MC), and went on to have a child he died in 1899. Theresia obviously went on to have children, including my grandfather.

A contact told me she had an email from someone who had a letter from the wife of one of Wilhelm's grandchildren, which said that Wilhelm went to Hohenwepel, near Warburg, Westphalia where he died in 1903. She didn't know where or when Wilhelmina died. I haven't been able to substantiate this.

This all makes reasonable sense. However I have been to The National Archives and now have the naturalisation records for a Friedrich Wilhelm Bowinkelmann, and now my head is about to explode trying to make sense of it all!

His naturalisation certificate is dated 7th Feb 1880. His address is 74 New Road East, Middlesex, where he had been living since 1870. He was born 6th Dec 1838 in Hohenwepel, Westphalia, Germany and he is a stick manufacturer. He is married (wife's name not stated) with two children, Henry Frederick William aged 17 and Josephine Theresia aged 16 both residing with him.

I cannot find any trace of any of the above in any census or BMD index, so is this my family?

To add to the confusion, I have now found electoral register entries for a William Bowinkelmann at 74 New Road, Whitechapel for 1883, 85, 87, 88 and 89. So if this is my man, why was he at both 74 New Road and 19 Plummers Row?

Thoughts, any one?
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 14-07-13, 23:19. Reason: Typo on a date!
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

send a PM to Wallaby or Naomlatt as they are both well versed in this type of research Prussia/Russia, Jewish names, maybe one or two other members OldCrohnHolden may help you.

Edna

Comment

Pete

Two addresses - he is entitled to vote at one because he either owns it or he is the freeholder, he doesn';t actually have to live there to be entitled to vote. Also, not all electoral registers were accurately up to date, not like they are now, so he may have been on there after his entitlement ended.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the details on naturalisastion records, they were very often wrong, either deliberately or because the person just couldn't remember the facts/dates etc.

I think you have the right man, from what you have posted above.

OC

Comment

Trade directories may hold a clue if one address is his business address, look for Historical Directories, Kelly's Directories, not sure which ones for the area's they were published every year

Edna

Comment

Oh, forgot - Preuss (looks like Preub sometimes because of the long double S) is short for Preussen which is Prussia, as you guessed.

OC

Comment

Not sure if this link will show Mundia which is Ancestry trees member Mildnerg has all the info on this person and a death for Wilhelm 1899 Romford Essex and 582 people in the tree

Edna

Comment

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...1GPOGRa6shgmkw same person has Wilhelmina Freckenhauser

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                http://translate.googleusercontent.c...RA1xv-3Mp3-5LQ

Not sure if this link will show Mundia which is Ancestry trees member Mildnerg has all the info on this person and a death for Wilhelm 1899 Romford Essex and 582 people in the tree

Edna
                Deaths Mar 1899

sorry this I think is the son
                BOWINKLEMAN William H F 36 Romford 4a 251
                Last edited by clematised; 15-07-13, 01:05. Reason: adding info

Comment

Edna, thanks for your input.

I have had contact with Mildnerg on Ancestry ages ago. He is only connected to me from a marriage to a daughter of a half brother of my 2x great grandmother on my paternal grandmother's side! He has no connection whatsoever to the Bowinkelmanns. He got most of his information from me, but has changed it to something that is quite wrong. That death in Romford in 1899 is for a 36 year old, which cannot be Wilhelm, but is almost certainly his son William. There is a Helena Bowinkelmann, widow, on the 1901 census in Ilford, right next to Romford.

The link you PM'd me could be a possibility, but unlikely. I have Wilhelm's father as Peter from his marriage certificate, and this is backed up by his sister's marriage certificate. If the naturalisation papers are correct then the dob is wrong as well.

I haven't seen the trade directories myself, but a contact tells me that his business address was 74 New Road, but that is confusing as the electoral register has it as a 'dwelling house'.

OC, thanks for the info about Preuss, I thought I was on the right track.

I have several branches in my tree where I have had to go with the best information I have, and make some assumptions about misspelled or changed names, but this time I thought there were far too many of these discrepancies. This is mainly why I posted on here, to see what the majority think, plus it has made me type it all up in a logical order, but that didn't help!

Pete

PS Didn't see your last post when posting this Edna!
                  Last edited by PeteW1959; 15-07-13, 01:36. Reason: Posts crossing over
                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

i would say it's all correct pete. do you know if william's parents came to england? and you say you have a sister present in england. now you have a town in germany to start digging in! you've made some wonderful progress from 'germany' or 'westphalia', especially since english records are very poor in recording birthplaces for anyone not english. can you get in touch with the person who said william died in germany in 1903? could they supply you with a death record? it may have wilhelmina's whereabouts mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                    X