Alfred Phillips, where are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Phillips, where are you?

I know this is a huge ask but I'm really stuck here and the Registry Office couldn't find it either.

George Phillips and his wife Emily Thomas had 11 children.

Alfred born in Oct 1903, Stockton and died in Oct 1904, Stockton. We have his proof of death but no burial, I picked up the Burial Certificate of his siblings yesterday and because I wasn't sure of WHICH children were in the grave I'd mentioned all 6 that we had found so the Registrar did a little search in their burial registers for Alfred but he couldn't be found. Does anyone have any idea as to what could have happened?

Another curious note is that Harry Phillips & Hannah Phillips (George's Mum & Brother) cannot be found in a grave either.

For those that helped me find them I also thought you might like to know the details that were on the Burial Certificate:

BEATRICE PHILLIPS, AGED 2 YEARS OF 16 BEAUMONT STREET, ST JAMES ON THE 12TH APRIL 1913

ANNIE PHILLIPS, AGED 3 DAYS OF 16 BEAUMONT STREET, ST JAMES ON THE 20TH MAY 1913

GEORGE PHILLIPS, AGED 20 DAYS OF 16 BEAUMONT STREET, ST JAMES ON THE 12TH JUNE 1913

EDWARD PHILLIPS, AGED 14 MONTHS OF 29 NEASHAM STREET, ST JAMES ON THE 28 APRIL 1920

GEORGE PHILLIPS, AGED 3 YEARS OF 29 NEASHAM STREET, ST JAMES ON THE 30TH APRIL 1921

​Granddad was born on the 7th August 1921, we are praying that it's the same house.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

There is an entry on Durham Records Online - http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/newsearch.php

Search shows an Alfred Phillips born 1903, abode Buxton Street
    Entry in Cemetery Registers for Stockton in 1904

That's all you get without paying!
    Elaine

Comment

Also
      Hannah Phillps born c 1845
      Cemetery registers for Stockton = burial 1893. Abode Neasham Street.
      Elaine

Comment

Really? I wonder why there's no record of them in the Registry Office then? Why did I not think of Durham Records? :(

You've really helped here Elaine. Angelina, Mum and I had all random ideas in our heads (burying in the garden, cremation and even aliens)

Unless Alfred isn't the child of George and Emily. I was only told George and E Phillips when I inquired about him a few weeks ago. Then again the street does match even if there is another George Phillips at the same time, I doubt he'd be in the same area of Stockton.

Comment

The list also shows that Harry is down as Henry.

Buxton Street is extremely faint compared to the others. I've cropped the image to show how close the streets are.

Comment

There is a Robert Phillips with wife Eliza Jane, living at 6 Buxton Street on the 1911 census - so perhaps the Alfred burial in 1904 belongs to them.
            Elaine

Comment

Their Alfred was born in 1911 I'm afraid Elaine. George & Emily are in 16 Buxton on the 1911 Census. That Robert is George's brother.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                Their Alfred was born in 1911 I'm afraid Elaine.
                .. but how do you know that they didn't have a son Alfred born in 1903, died 1904 ??
                Elaine

Comment

I think were getting confused here.
                  Robert is George's older brother (named after their Father) and he had an Alfred born in 1911.

When I first started searching for this missing child of George & Emily due to the 1911 Census (4 children, 3 living, 1 dead) I noticed Alfred and I knew that Emily had a brother named Alfred that she might have named the child after so I thought I'd try that when I noticed it had a death of 1904 so I popped to Stockton Roots.

On Stockton Roots you can inquire about the person if you unsure about it being your person, I asked this:
                  Hi, is it possible for you to tell me if his parents are George Phillips and Emily Thomas? I have 10 of their children but there's one more to find, Thanks, Sarah.
                  I got this reply:
                  Thank you for your inquiry.
                  I have checked the entry Death Book 103-378 and can confirm father is recorded as George Phillips and informant is mother who is E Phillips.
                  I knew that the grave only had 5 infants from when I asked about Robert and yet we already had 5 infants:
                  I can confirm that a Robert Phillips was buried in grave number A1 28 J in Durham Road cemetery, there are also two other interments in the said grave that share a different surname. According to our registers the grave was only ever reserved. I have been in contact with our Cemeteries Inspector who took a photograph of the said grave space, please find the photograph attached to this email.

On the photograph, the small memorial to the left marks grave space A1 27 H; the first gathering of leaves in the slight depression, to the right and below that, is grave A1 28 J. Unfortunately there is no headstone in place.

I can also confirm that there are five infants buried in grave number A1 30 J, all five infants share the surname of Phillips.

Comment

Sorry, didn't realise you already knew the parentage of Alfred born 1903!, died 1904.
                    Elaine

Comment

Oh no it's the way I'd said it Elaine, sorry for my part in the confusion #4 shows
                      Unless Alfred isn't the child of George and Emily. I was only told George and E Phillips when I inquired about him a few weeks ago. Then again the street does match even if there is another George Phillips at the same time, I doubt he'd be in the same area of Stockton.
                      I only know E, it might not be Emily, it could be Elizabeth or something because there is another George living in Stockton at the same time.

Comment

I thought you might like to know that I contacted Durham Records Office and got this reply back:

His burial is definitely in the cemetery register, but you will have to buy the record to find out which cemetery. We transcribed this register from a film of it in London. How far in the register did you look? In the winter, sometimes people are buried later than you might expect, due to extreme weather conditions or the difficulty of digging a grave in frozen ground and deep snow, so if you only checked the week or so after his death, you might have missed his later burial.

regards,

Blank

Comment

I now have Alfred's grave number and that of the other people that I wanted.

Comment

Is he buried in the same cemetery as the others?
                            Elaine

Comment

Sadly no but at least he has relatives in there. Apart from those below there's also his Dad's twin and his grandmother Mary Chapman Thomas.

Alfred Phillips – grave number T 61 C (old) Oxbridge Lane
                              Hannah Phillips – grave number P 56 G (old) Oxbridge Lane
                              Henry Phillips – grave number P 56 G (old) Oxbridge Lane
                              George Frederick Phillips – grave number H1 19 L Durham Road Entrance.

Comment

Ah, so is that why he didn't show up on the Stockton Roots website then!
                                Elaine

Comment

Indeed, they are on the death side just not the burial. At least I have it now. I just need to check which of my Annie's is George Frederick's Mother for proof but considering one of them ended up in the Penitentiary I have a good feeling it's her. His record says he died in the Union Workhouse.

Comment

Working...
                                  X