hamilton row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hamilton row

Could anyone tell me if there was a street called Hamilton Row ,Leith ,Edinburgh, Scotland . I am looking for number 3. The date would be about 1880.
    Much obliged
    EP

nothing showing up on the findmypast address search. the only results they come up with is for bethnal green in london.

Comment

Tried several databases and nothing at all for Edinburgh or Leith.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

maybe it was the name of a group of buildings owned by someone?

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
          Could anyone tell me if there was a street called Hamilton Row ,Leith ,Edinburgh, Scotland . I am looking for number 3. The date would be about 1880.
          Much obliged
          EP
          You could ask the local library as they often have local history stuff including maps that might show if there is such a street and if so where it is. The electoral rolls might also be a place to look the library will know where they are kept.
          Margaret

Comment

Many thanks to all for your suggestions, just couldn`t find it at all . The library might be an option ,Margaret .
            Much obliged
            EP

Comment

do you know if a neighbouring street? it's possible the street was renamed in 1880, prior to the census the following year. or maybe the address was 'hamilton row' but it was on 'x' street, so locals know what you meant by hamilton row, but the enumerator put it in the census as the actual street name?

Comment

I had a look yesterday but didn't have time to post, found these which may be useful. The first link is for the local history society and the second is a map of Leith 1870

Comment

Had a good look with a magnifying glass but nothing came up .Thanks for the maps Frazzled , what an interesting format , I will keep a note ,it will come in very handy in the future. Kyle , I think you could be right and it was under another name . I have quite a few relatives who stayed in Leith and will be able to pinpoint areas now. In fact have just found the street where my great great Uncle stayed . As always much appreciated.
                  EP

Comment

Places like, Row, Terrace, Villas and Cottages are often a short row of terraced houses along a street, that are not seperately named on a map.

There are at least 4 along one one road here in Bangor, and they are not marked on any map that I have seen. There are actually several number 3s on the road, but all in different terraces.
                    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Pete ,
                      I will look in to the local library next time I am in Edinburgh to see if any streets are known to the staff, but not on any maps . Sometimes you get lucky and get someone who really knows the area.
                      EP

Comment

Working...
                      X