X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rootsireland discount

been meaning to post this for a few days:
    40% off Baptism / Birth Records

Rootsireland.ie is delighted to announce that all Birth/Baptism records will have a discount of 40% until Sunday, July 14th 2013 (midnight IrishTime/GMT). You can purchase any Birth or Baptism record for just 15 credits instead of the usual 25 credits.

To obtain this offer just go to the following site and login using your existing IFHF login details.
    Search Irish Family History records online: parish registers; church records; Roman Catholic and Protestant. Irish Family History Foundation online research service for the 32 county genealogy centres throughout Ireland. Largest online Irish Genealogy records database for 32 counties. Ireland ancestry, baptismal, birth, marriage, death, census, gravestone, Griffith Valuations, Tithes, ships passenger lists records. Family History research provided by centres.

We now have over 20 million records online.

Remember that you can purchase and spend your credit at any of the IFHF online centres.

Please check out our interactive map to see which centres are currently live.

If you have any questions or comments please check our Online Help and if this does not provide an answer, then do not hesitate to contact us or one or the county centres.

Yours sincerely
    IFHF

Researching Irish ancestors has always been a nightmare for me. I just don't have much success understanding of course the destruction of records during the earlier troubles..................might have another go before the weekend.

Comment

I'd love to pay for the information on the Irish marriages I need - but they were before civil registration and NOTHING shows up when searching the indexes :( .................................................. ........... Alan have you any idea WHEN & WHERE? Most of the RC registers for parishes I might have found useful aren't early enough. (The apparent paucity of available information does make me wonder a little about the validity of all those allegedly proven pedigrees of the rich and famous in the USA!)
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Its a nightmare for me as well. I have a Scottish death of Patrick Lennon giving the parents as Matthew and Mary Mackay/McQuay/Mckey and so forth but they don't exist in the Irish birth where he comes from.
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Outside Dublin and the bigger cities, few RC parishes have any records prior to the 1820s; about 50% of the Church of Ireland records were destroyed in the 1922 fire, but many of the surviving Church of Ireland records aren’t on the Rootsireland site anyway. Hardly any Presbyterian or other nonconformist records are on the site either so far as I can tell. So apart from the problem of lost and missing records (over which they have no control), there are still significant gaps in what Rootsireland has on their site.

A lot of Irish church records are not on-line anywhere at all, particularly Church of Ireland and nonconformist records.

If you know your family’s denomination and the parish or townland they came from, and you can’t find a record, it’s worth checking the paper copies of the relevant records. Unfortunately the paper/microfilm copies are kept in various different locations eg RCB Library, National Library Dublin, PRONI, Belfast, Presbyterian Historical Society etc depending on the denomination.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I find it a vicious circle - without any paperwork to consult, I have no idea of parish or townland.(Galway could mean city but I suspect it means county.) Without some idea of parish or townland, I have no idea where to look for paperwork! A further complication is ancestors who couldn't read or write (resulting in several name spelling variations ) and couldn't calculate (so no real guesstimation of year of birth.)
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

It's the names that I'm having trouble with, the Scottish death says that Patrick's parent's are (see #4) but searching IrishRoots doesn't bring up any births for a Patrick with a Father named Matthew so I tried Mary and there is one there.

Patk Lennan
              Mother: Mary Callaghan
              Father: Anthony Lennan
              Date: 13 Aug 1813
              Parish: Upper Greggan
              County: Armagh (We knew this one)
              Denomination: Roman Catholic

I'm wondering if it was a brother named Matthew and whoever filed the death has mixed things up. Mind you that's happened on a few on the Lennon entries.

Comment

Lennon, I think we all have to bear in mind that Irishroots is like the old IGI & familysearch and that NOT everything is going to be on there in the first place. Just because we can't find something on these sites doesn't mean we have the WRONG information; a more probable explanation is that what we want hasn't been included on their database. (As opposed to very different scenario of not being able to find something on e.g Freereg, when that site database says the PR for that place and time span HAVE been transcribed and added.)
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I do have another hint to go on- Matthew was reported as being a Soldier in the Royal Artillery but I've had no luck with that either.

Comment

Working...
                  X