Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info about Allan Thomas Dale

Hi

I'm posting from Oz and I'm rather new at this. I'm doing family research and wondered if anyone knew anything about Allan Thomas Dale. Born in Bream, Monmouthshire in 1916 and died in Cheshire in 1989. Death registered in Congleton.

His parents were William Alan Dale and Edith May Dale, nee Preest. He had three sisters, Phyllis May (married name I think Norris), Winifred Edith Roper and Irene Gothard, then Mclellan.

We think he served in the Gloucestershire Regiment during World War Two and was a collier like his father William.

Maybe had a son called Allan William? I can't seem to make a firm connection on that one.

I know it's not much to go on, but he's proving a bit elusive to track down from this side of the world.

I'd be grateful for any pointing in the right direction and any clues.

Thanks

Felix :o

William and Edith married in Monmouth in 1912 (Jul-Sep). Are you looking to go backwards or forwards from what you already know ?

There is a birth in Monmouth of Edith May PREEST in Oct-Dec 1897, which (if that is her) means she would have been only 14 at the time of the marriage ...it would be interesting to see what the marriage certificate gives as her age.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 09-07-13, 13:55.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi

I'm looking to go forwards right now. To see if and who Allan Thomas Dale married and what he did for a living if I can. Get some sort of picture of his life.

I've gone backwards through the census records as far as I can and there are still some gaps there I'll have to try and fill, (for instance, I think William Allan may have been born a British citizen born in South Africa, though I can't confirm it yet) but right now I really need to go forwards.

As far forwards as I can. :o

Comment

do you have the birth or death certificates? the death could have an informant such as a child or wife.

Comment

the parents marriage isn't showing up on findmypast, so could be a register office wedding, maybe the bride was a minor, like antony suggested.

Comment

Felix, just be aware that as Allan Thomas Dale was born in 1916, posting information about his siblings and descendants could be against the T & C of the site, which does not permit us to publish information on people who could still be alive. (We should only post their names if we know they are deceased.) You may find that members send you a personal message, displayed as "notifications" at the very top right of the page.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi

No, I don't have the birth or death certs yet. The mail from the UK takes ages to reach Qld! But they've been ordered.

Comment

Yes, that's the right marriage and the right Edith May Preest. She was only 14 at the time of her marriage. William Allan was born in 1878 so 19 years older (I've got their 1939 wartime registrations and traced them through the census)

On their marriage certificate she gives her age as 18 and he as 27. They were married till 1957 when William died. ;)

Comment

Hi

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure that all Allan's siblings are dead and a few of his nephews and nieces as well.

And thanks for the heads up about notifications. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X