Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland company records 1790's

Hi

Has anyone got any idea if there are any sources for records in the 1790's related to company records.

In the trade directories there is a George Randolph & Co, tobacconist and grocer in King St Glasgow. This later became Thomas Randolph's business post 1801.

As with many of the Georges in my family, he is a bit elusive with his birth and death and further ancestry. There are best guess scenarios, but I would like to substantiate this.

I have his marriage to Caroline Lepper and the birth of son John, but have been unable to find any more children. It is possible he died in 1800.

A list of people in the company may help move forward, or to find the link between George and Thomas.

Many thanks
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

I wonder if the Glasgow City Archives - based at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow could help you.
    Have a look on their website for records held. Or perhaps email them - they may be able to point you in the correct direction.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I don't want to be a killjoy, but I think it would be a miracle if any records survived. It simply wasn't necessary for anyone to keep records back then, although they may have done of course.

Are you able to tell from the street address how large the shop was?

OC

Comment

Thanks Herky, I had looked at their site and was unsure whether the records would be there. I think I need to look again tomorrow when less tired.

Yes OC I am probably clutching at straws, but worth a try, I'm not sure about the size of property however in the Scottish museum and online I have found that they produced their own tokens, so I imagine the business must have been fairly noteworthy, although for all I know all tobacconists may have done the same.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Out of interest - if you do a google you can see a rare 1799 farthing token for George Randolph.
          Just google "randolph tobacconist king st Glasgow"
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Sorry - crossed threads.
            herky

Comment

Thanks Herky
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Ah, right, then there may be some records or some history of the shop via the token collector interest!

OC

Comment

Pretty obvious suggestions, I know, but have you investigated wills and also leases on properties? The vast majority of property belonged to a tiny minority of people and was leased out to tenants. if you can find the owner of the properties in King Street, it could just have been some local big-wig, the whole of whose personal papers have been deposited somewhere, catalogued as "the X collection." All sorts of things turn in these collections!
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you Janet, I have been unable to find a will, and another contact stated that she had also checked and there is nothing shown as being proved through Canterbury. Thank you for the suggestion of the landlord, I will look into that.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

I don't know anything about Scottish wills, but if you've found nothing in Scotland, I would have thought York was perhaps a better place to look than Canterbury. Basically, there were two C of E provinces - Canterbury served the south and York the north. So if a will was proved "over the border" York would be more likely than Canterbury. (I think it's Origins that have indexes for some of northern courts where wills were proved.) You may have to register with the site, but I think you can look at indexes for free and then buy a 48/72hr sub if you want to investigate further. In my experience, wills could be proved in the home area of the executor, which wasn't necessarily the court local to where the testator lived.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you again Janet, I will have a look at your suggestion, as Catherine was from Kent and it is possible he may have died there, that was why looking down south. I have found nothing on Scotlandspeople
                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                        X