Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stephen Cochrane/Cockrale - anyone kill him off, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Cochrane/Cockrale - anyone kill him off, please?

(Sorry this is long.)
    Stephen Cochrane ( a name rife for spelling variants & mistranscriptions) was born 1860 at Willington/Howden on Tyne,Northumberland.
    1871 in the parental home, 1881 he married Bridget (he was recorded as Cockrale) & in census that year they were in South Blyth & Newsham (Northumberland) - he was a riveter in the shipyard.
    1891 & 1901 Bridget was at home with their children –Stephen had changed jobs and was a fireman on ships and was away from home both times.
    Bridget died in late 1901 – the elder Cochrane children fended for themselves and the younger ones were taken in and homed by various members of the extended family.
    I know Stephen was still alive in March 1901 – he appeared at court in Blyth for being drunk and assaulting a publican.
    I can find no relevant record of his death or anything else about him after that
    (His descendants believed he was “lost at sea” c 1894 – I think he just “lost” himself from his responsibilities after Bridget died.)
    I didn’t see him on passenger lists, but as he was a seaman I suppose he could have put ashore anywhere and just not rejoined his ship.
    Open to any offers, please!
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 07-07-13, 21:00. Reason: addition of spaces
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

have pmd you

Comment

there are 3 reports in the paper about a Stephen Cochrane able seaman Blythe

Local & District News
      Publication: Shields Daily Gazette
      Publication date: Friday 08 March 1901
      1901 says residing at Cowpen Quay
      Drunk and disorderly

BLYTH POLICE COURT DOINGS.
      Publication: Morpeth Herald
      Publication date:Saturday 21 May 1892
      In 1892 there is a report of an eviction at the Wood Houses in Blythe Folly which matches 1891
      4, Folly Wood Houses, Folly Terrace, Newsham And South Blyth, Blyth

BLYTH POLICE COURT DOINGS.
      Publication: Morpeth Herald
      Publication date:Saturday 22 October 1892
      Drunk and disorderly
      Last edited by Elaine; 07-07-13, 21:35.
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Sorry, so busy writing them out put all 3 , hope the other 2 help
        Last edited by Elaine; 07-07-13, 21:41.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Val, have replied. ------------- Elaine, thanks for your help - I have seen those and also a trial for "feloniously ravishing" a woman on the road to the beach at Blyth. His poor wife.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

you found one I didnt Elaine

Comment

Thanks for second pm Val - I really appreciate your efforts.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There is a Maritime Death for a S Cochrane in Nov 1900 but as he is in court in 1901 wont be him ?

Comment

I've discounted that death because of the court appearance Val. ;) Aren't the newspapers a remarkable source?
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

They sure are, I found the wedding announcement on my husbands Uncle when he was already married, I have found some amazing things and so has Nightowl she is a genius.

Comment

Yes, as well as Stephen's drinking, I also found out about his trial for rape (which it wasn't) - and a report on the family home; a hovel with no drains, privy or ash pit, no tap to provide water and the roof leaked. The medical officer got the houses blacklisted, the landlord served an eviction order and still Stephen had to be taken to court to get him out. Bridget was 38 when she died, probably childbirth related, as she'd just had her tenth child. 20 years of marriage sounds like 20 years of hell - poor, poor soul, - makes you weep.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay,

do you know where Bridget is buried? could Stephen be buried with her? [and yes, it does sound like she suffered, poor soul]
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie, Thank you for your interest. No, I don't know where she was buried (Cowpen cemetery probably. I'll see if her descendants know, when they get back from holiday.) Her family seem very "vague" about Stephen - I'm now beginning to think there may well have been a good reason for this as he doesn't sound to have been amongst the best of providers for his dependents. Maybe the daughters were only too pleased to find husbands and settle down. (I hope history didn't repeat itself in their households!)
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

its just odd that there doesn't seem to be much info about him after 1901, I don't suppose that any of Stephens siblings would have taken him in??

I did wonder also if his name may have been mistrans as Cockayne too.. I did have a look, but only found the 1887 case that you mentioned previously. :(
                            Julie

Comment

how about this marriage
                              Stephen Cochrane
                              Jun 1914
                              Tynemouth Northumberland
                              10B 552
                              to a Nora Moad

Comment

oh I think thats his son ?

Comment

Thanks for trying Julie. Bearing in mind the alleged assault on the woman and the continuous stream of children Bridget bore him, I feel he probably teamed up with another woman. But I can't find a possible death anywhere in England and Wales. I do wonder if he had an accident away from home (drunk and fell in a dock) and no-one knew who he was, went overseas and settled abroad etc. Trouble is the newspapers online are very sparse for Northumberland post 1910, so if there was anything in the press about him being "lost at sea", I wouldn't find it yet anyway. Bridget was my great-grandmother's sister and I just wanted to tidy up a loose end.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Val - yes that's the son Stephen Jnr. He went to sea as a fireman, like his father. There is a record for Stephen jnr on FMP, which included his photo.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

hmmn, are there any FHS for Blyth area? might be worth having a look there, or any local history/library and see if they have any publications that might help.
                                      Julie

Comment

This is odd just found a newspaper article in Hull and a Stephen Cochrane Fireman is in court for walking ashore when his ship was about to sail ? surely he would have been too old?

Comment

Working...
                                        X