PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Cochrane/Cockrale - anyone kill him off, please?

Janet in Yorkshire
07-07-13, 20:56
(Sorry this is long.)
Stephen Cochrane ( a name rife for spelling variants & mistranscriptions) was born 1860 at Willington/Howden on Tyne,Northumberland.
1871 in the parental home, 1881 he married Bridget (he was recorded as Cockrale) & in census that year they were in South Blyth & Newsham (Northumberland) - he was a riveter in the shipyard.
1891 & 1901 Bridget was at home with their children –Stephen had changed jobs and was a fireman on ships and was away from home both times.
Bridget died in late 1901 – the elder Cochrane children fended for themselves and the younger ones were taken in and homed by various members of the extended family.
I know Stephen was still alive in March 1901 – he appeared at court in Blyth for being drunk and assaulting a publican.
I can find no relevant record of his death or anything else about him after that
(His descendants believed he was “lost at sea” c 1894 – I think he just “lost” himself from his responsibilities after Bridget died.)
I didn’t see him on passenger lists, but as he was a seaman I suppose he could have put ashore anywhere and just not rejoined his ship.
Open to any offers, please!

Val wish Id never started
07-07-13, 21:23
have pmd you

Elaine
07-07-13, 21:34
there are 3 reports in the paper about a Stephen Cochrane able seaman Blythe

Local & District News
Publication: Shields Daily Gazette
Publication date: Friday 08 March 1901
1901 says residing at Cowpen Quay
Drunk and disorderly

BLYTH POLICE COURT DOINGS.
Publication: Morpeth Herald
Publication date:Saturday 21 May 1892
In 1892 there is a report of an eviction at the Wood Houses in Blythe Folly which matches 1891
4, Folly Wood Houses, Folly Terrace, Newsham And South Blyth, Blyth

BLYTH POLICE COURT DOINGS.
Publication: Morpeth Herald
Publication date:Saturday 22 October 1892
Drunk and disorderly

Elaine
07-07-13, 21:40
Sorry, so busy writing them out put all 3 , hope the other 2 help:)

Janet in Yorkshire
07-07-13, 21:41
Val, have replied. ------------- Elaine, thanks for your help - I have seen those and also a trial for "feloniously ravishing" a woman on the road to the beach at Blyth. His poor wife.

07-07-13, 21:42
you found one I didnt Elaine:)

Janet in Yorkshire
07-07-13, 21:54
Thanks for second pm Val - I really appreciate your efforts.

07-07-13, 22:09
There is a Maritime Death for a S Cochrane in Nov 1900 but as he is in court in 1901 wont be him ?

Janet in Yorkshire
07-07-13, 22:16
I've discounted that death because of the court appearance Val. ;) Aren't the newspapers a remarkable source?

07-07-13, 23:09
They sure are, I found the wedding announcement on my husbands Uncle when he was already married, I have found some amazing things and so has Nightowl she is a genius.

Janet in Yorkshire
07-07-13, 23:58
Yes, as well as Stephen's drinking, I also found out about his trial for rape (which it wasn't) - and a report on the family home; a hovel with no drains, privy or ash pit, no tap to provide water and the roof leaked. The medical officer got the houses blacklisted, the landlord served an eviction order and still Stephen had to be taken to court to get him out. Bridget was 38 when she died, probably childbirth related, as she'd just had her tenth child. 20 years of marriage sounds like 20 years of hell - poor, poor soul, - makes you weep.

Darksecretz
08-07-13, 14:11
Jay,

do you know where Bridget is buried? could Stephen be buried with her? [and yes, it does sound like she suffered, poor soul]

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 17:09
Julie, Thank you for your interest. No, I don't know where she was buried (Cowpen cemetery probably. I'll see if her descendants know, when they get back from holiday.) Her family seem very "vague" about Stephen - I'm now beginning to think there may well have been a good reason for this as he doesn't sound to have been amongst the best of providers for his dependents. Maybe the daughters were only too pleased to find husbands and settle down. (I hope history didn't repeat itself in their households!)

Darksecretz
08-07-13, 17:41
its just odd that there doesn't seem to be much info about him after 1901, I don't suppose that any of Stephens siblings would have taken him in??

I did wonder also if his name may have been mistrans as Cockayne too.. I did have a look, but only found the 1887 case that you mentioned previously. :(

08-07-13, 18:32
how about this marriage
Stephen Cochrane
Jun 1914
Tynemouth Northumberland
10B 552
to a Nora Moad

08-07-13, 18:36
oh I think thats his son ?

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 18:37
Thanks for trying Julie. Bearing in mind the alleged assault on the woman and the continuous stream of children Bridget bore him, I feel he probably teamed up with another woman. But I can't find a possible death anywhere in England and Wales. I do wonder if he had an accident away from home (drunk and fell in a dock) and no-one knew who he was, went overseas and settled abroad etc. Trouble is the newspapers online are very sparse for Northumberland post 1910, so if there was anything in the press about him being "lost at sea", I wouldn't find it yet anyway.:confused: Bridget was my great-grandmother's sister and I just wanted to tidy up a loose end.

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 18:39
Thanks for the suggestion, Val - yes that's the son Stephen Jnr. He went to sea as a fireman, like his father. There is a record for Stephen jnr on FMP, which included his photo.

Darksecretz
08-07-13, 18:42
hmmn, are there any FHS for Blyth area? might be worth having a look there, or any local history/library and see if they have any publications that might help.

08-07-13, 18:55
This is odd just found a newspaper article in Hull and a Stephen Cochrane Fireman is in court for walking ashore when his ship was about to sail ? surely he would have been too old?

08-07-13, 18:57
oh I didnt read the posts first this Stephen must be his son then ? sounds like father like son

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 19:23
I'm off to read the Hull paper Val - thanks! Julie not sure about the Blyth FHS - can't find anyone online researching the family; nothing helpful about Stephen sen on Ancestry. I really appreciate your efforts, ladies - thank you both.

08-07-13, 19:24
its The Hull Daily Mail 1941

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 19:35
Stephen jnr also had a son Stephen, born 1916, so it could have been him who abandoned ship (or his father.) Have found a death of a Stephen Cochrane in Sheffield in 1942 - 71 years. That would be 10 yrs out of date, but as we know, any date is only as good as the knowledge of the informant. Off to investigate this chap.

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 19:39
Bother - chased him up yesterday. He was born in Retford in 1871/2 & was recorded in Sheffield in 1911 census.

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 19:47
There are some Cockerill deaths at sea (neither initial nor first name given.) But too many to consider buying certs. I would have expected crew members to have needed their papers and consequently their names to have been known.

Darksecretz
08-07-13, 20:32
Jay,

what was Stephens fathers name please

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 20:36
William Cochrane - in 1871 the family were at Willington, Northumberland

Darksecretz
08-07-13, 20:40
thanks Jay, put paid to that idea then.. :(

08-07-13, 20:42
I did look under his Mothers maiden name McKie too, as maybe he used that

Darksecretz
08-07-13, 20:53
http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/branches/blyth-branch/

they have a forum, not sure though whether it is members of the FHS only though.

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 21:18
I think it is members only. My contact belongs to this group I think, in which case he is the only person with an interest in the Cochrane surname.:(

08-07-13, 21:25
On Ancestry is MAM1102 you ?

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 21:27
No - I don't have a tree on Ancestry, Val

08-07-13, 21:35
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2997/40610_B000421-00215/44898474?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.u k%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3frank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26ms T%3d1%26gss%3dangs-g%26gsfn%3dstephen%26gsln%3dcochrane%26msydy%3d186 1%26cpxt%3d1%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3duld%26msy dp%3d2%26cp%3d11%26pcat%3dROOT_CATEGORY%26h%3d4489 8474%26recoff%3d7%2b8%26db%3dUKOutwardPassengerLis ts%26indiv%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord
just found this on Ancestry a Mr S Cochrane says born 1863 going out on a ship in 1903

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 21:37
I only have Ancestry basic at home Val - where was he sailing to. please? (Could indicate possible census searches)

08-07-13, 21:44
pmd you

Janet in Yorkshire
08-07-13, 21:57
Have replied.................. Julie & Val thank you both so much for all your hard work. I really appreciate the time you've each given to this. I'm going offline now as I need to brew some coffee and then do a few kitchen fatigues. Night both............ Jay

08-07-13, 22:30
there are 3 records from The Boer War on FMP 2 just say Cochrane and one says S Cochrane

Janet in Yorkshire
09-07-13, 08:23
Thanks for that Val - anything's possible, but as he would have been 40, wasn't he a bit old and wasn't mid 1901 a bit late for joining up?

Darksecretz
09-07-13, 10:26
just been doing a little bit of rooting round, Cowpen Cemetery has burial books for lots of years, these are at Northumberland Archives, they do provide a 'search service' but for £13!!!

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/research-service/

Janet in Yorkshire
09-07-13, 10:44
Thanks Julie - Woodhorn is on my "list," but as it will involve a couple of night's stay, I'm going to wait until I've got a good stock of look ups to do and then take a little break up there and perhaps to the Newcastle library as well. Ideally, it will be a once only trip to tie up any remaining loose ends. (Earliest connection with Northumberland is when my Irish brigade arrived in Newcastle in the 1850's, then my Norfolk grandfather went to sea and sailed off up there, with most of his siblings following in the 1890's. So, I'm not exactly of good Northumbrian stock!)........... I don't mind paying £13 if it's something vital I need to know and IF I know the information is definitely there, but Stephen's children and grandchildren claim not to know about him, other than he was lost at sea c1894. (And as we've proved on here, that is just a myth.)

Darksecretz
09-07-13, 11:36
yep, I know what you mean, someone obviously hasn't looked into this very deeply [or looked in the right place!!] to find the newspaper info of 1901.. I wonder if he was in prison at the time of the 1901 cens?

Janet in Yorkshire
09-07-13, 11:53
Thanks for your continued searches Julie. He could have been anywhere at 1901 census weekend - he was away in 1891 too. I'm more concerned that he seems to vanish into thin air after Bridget's death - the family home must have been packed up then and the younger boys taken in by Bridget's brother. (They hit the headlines too over the next 10 yrs - court appearances for playing rowdy games in the street, or playing brag and pitch & toss - both gambling games.) I've suggested to the direct descendent that it might be worthwhile investing in Bridget's death cert as it should say either wife of or widow of. It would also give the cause of death, which I think was probably childbirth related. I think that IF Stephen HAD been deceased by the time this last child was baptised in September 1901, then the priest would have written child of Stephen C deceased & Bridget, or child of Bridget C widow. The same priest ministered in that parish from 1862 to 1906, so he would have known about all the shenanigans of his flock!

Darksecretz
09-07-13, 12:06
Thanks for your continued searches Julie. He could have been anywhere at 1901 census weekend - he was away in 1891 too. I'm more concerned that he seems to vanish into thin air after Bridget's death - the family home must have been packed up then and the younger boys taken in by Bridget's brother. (They hit the headlines too over the next 10 yrs - court appearances for playing rowdy games in the street, or playing brag and pitch & toss - both gambling games.) I've suggested to the direct descendent that it might be worthwhile investing in Bridget's death cert as it should say either wife of or widow of. It would also give the cause of death, which I think was probably childbirth related. I think that IF Stephen HAD been deceased by the time this last child was baptised in September 1901, then the priest would have written child of Stephen C deceased & Bridget, or child of Bridget C widow. The same priest ministered in that parish from 1862 to 1906, so he would have known about all the shenanigans of his flock!

oh definitely the death cert would prove interesting indeed, and I totally agree with what you are saying by the parish records too.. shame we can't really dig about online for those.. :(

have been hopping back and forth in the census, following different members of the family, but haven't found anything one way or the other I'm afraid.

Darksecretz
09-07-13, 12:15
I suspect you have seen this?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J75J-9QW

Janet in Yorkshire
09-07-13, 13:59
Yes, thank you for the link though, because I might NOT have seen it.

Darksecretz
09-07-13, 16:30
Yes, thank you for the link though, because I might NOT have seen it.

true, though I don't expect it to say dead on there, though at least you know that the last child [Martin] was Stephens, [which is very probably right, as you wouldn't dare lie to a priest, would you?] do you know what happened to him?

Janet in Yorkshire
09-07-13, 17:34
Martin died Q2 the following year. :( Auntie Bridget's hard life has got to me a bit. Her sisters were poor, money wise, but seemed to have had a much warmer family life.

Darksecretz
09-07-13, 18:36
:( thing is she probably loved Stephen as we all know, you can, and do, stick with folks for love... but it does sound like she had it hard, and end up with someone that wasn't able to look after his family after she died. sad really. :(