Road help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road help please

Hi guys, can any of you make out the name of this Street? I'm trying to figure out if it's Main, Matis, Martin or Matin.

Untitled.jpg

Cheers for the help
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Can you tell us the town/parish and the year of the document - sometimes helps to determine what it could be.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry. It's Stockton, 1891 Census and St John's Parish which I think is opposite Durham Road Cemetery.

Here's the link if you'd like to see it yourself: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

Comment

Wasn't sure if it was Maris Street or Mario Street ... looks like Mario to me!
        Elaine

Comment

Agree with Elaine looks like Mario.
          Jay

Comment

Well I certainly never thought of Mario. According to a Google search there's a thread on Rootsweb with the name of the Street being in Stockton.

Thanks for that Elaine.

Comment

I thought Maris/Mario, too. I think it actually looks more like "Mario", but I'd want to compare with other ending-in-s words in the same hand: sometimes a final flourish confuses the appearance quite radically. I have n-endings which look much more like w: so BARRON, becomes BARROW - both plausible, but it should be BARRON, without doubt (other records confirm). Mario is an Italian name, "Maris" is Latin for "Of the Sea" (if I remember correctly!), so quite likely to be a surname, too.

I had a look on http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ There are several "Maris" somethings (though not in Stockton), but don't seem to be any "Mario" somethings.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-07-13, 19:18.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The description of the enumeration district shows Mario written more clearly, there's also an Alberto Street and Garibaldi Street, which are all Italian.

Jay

Comment

I've definitely heard of Alberto. I think it may still be there, unless it's Albert.

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                    The description of the enumeration district shows Mario written more clearly, there's also an Alberto Street and Garibaldi Street, which are all Italian.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...ReturnBrowsing
                    With that as a context, "Mario" seems more likely.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It was part of a number of streets with back to back housing now demolished. Roughly 50 yards to the left of the mark A on the Google Map.

Go to
                      Why is Old Maps no longer available? Over the last 10 years Landmark has partnered with the team at Old Maps to sell our historical mapping data to consumers keen to learn about local history or purchase printed maps for personal or decorative use. Viewing and printing these maps from the Old Maps website was […]

type in the coordinates: 444382 519817
                      Click> Go
                      On the right select> 1893 Town Plan.
                      You should then be able to zoom in and see Mario Street.
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk
                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

That's it! I remember where Alberto is, I have it on a map..
                        I scanned it at the Library, I really can't believe that I forgot about it.

Alberto is on my map but not the other one, I'll have to go back to the Library for another scan I think.

Thanks for that Keldon. ;D

Comment

Sounds like these houses were built around the time of Garibaldi or just after. There is a late 19th century area of Luton full of Crimean War street names.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The map that I have is for 1878, if I could share it on here I would.

Comment

Working...
                            X