Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's Noah before and after his marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Noah before and after his marriage?

In 1868 Noah Matthews married Elizabeth Bryan at Leicester
    In 1872 Elizabeth Matthews (24, widow) married Joseph Blower at Leicester.

I can't find a death registration for Noah - can anyone please find any info about him?

In 1871 Elizabeth Matthews is living with her parents William & Caroline Bryan at Friday Street, Leicester - she's listed as married. There are 2 grandchildren listed, Sarah & Thomas, both aged 2 - surname Bryan. Are these Elizabeth's children? - maybe surname incorrectly noted.
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 07-07-13, 12:25.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Hi
    It looks like Thomas was Elizabeth's son & Sarah was the daughter of Elizabeth's brother William.
    Thomas in 1881 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=12434794

Moggie

Comment

There is an entry in Leicester Journal - Friday 18 December 1868 -
      Noah Matthews was charged with neglect of family - One month's hard labour.
      .. not that it helps much!
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Moggie & Elaine .... every bit of info helps!

Noah Matthews was charged with neglect of family - One month's hard labour.
        Do you think that Elizabeth divorced Noah and then married Joseph Blower?

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post

Do you think that Elizabeth divorced Noah and then married Joseph Blower?
          ... cannot see one en the National Archives catalogue - possibly too expensive for ordinary folk to divorce. Without a death for Noah then I suppose you have to consider a second bigamous marriage, if indeed the Noah in the newspaper article is the one we are looking for.
          Elaine

Comment

Without a death for Noah then I suppose you have to consider a second bigamous marriage
            Hi again Elaine .. that's sort of what I thought may have happened.

There is an entry in Leicester Journal - Friday 18 December 1868, Noah Matthews was charged with neglect of family - One month's hard labour.
            Must have been serious neglect, they'd only been married for less than 8 months ???

Comment

The problem is, without the marriage certificate to get some idea of who Noah was (e.g. father's name & occupation) it's difficult to see if he is around in 1871 or later.
              Elaine

Comment

hi again Elaine .. it was info from Joseph & Elizabeth's marriage in 1872 that drew attention to her 'previous' marriage, as her status is listed as age 24, widow ... however 1871 census lists her as married, so presumed Noah died between 1871 and 1872, although unable to find his whereabouts, dead or alive, in 1871.

Comment

Problem is you don't know anything more about Noah. If you had the 1868 marriage certificate it might at least give you a clue which would help find him in the 1861 census - and then in 1871 and any subsequent census.
                  There aren't that many Noah Matthews around at that time, but I can't see one that might fit.
                  I even tried searching just using the initials N.M. thinking he might be in prison - but even that didn't help!
                  Elaine

Comment

thanks for persevering Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X