X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Err I think I've made a mistake

I have 2 John Phillips, Father and Son.

Father's details:
    Baptism- 26th January 1791, Barton Le Street (Ancestry)
    Marriage- 31st October 1819 Houghton Le Spring (Ancestry, Family Search)
    John Junior's Baptism- 20th August 1820 Houghton Le Spring (Free Reg, Family Search)
    Daughter Ann's Baptism- 8th December 1822 Houghton Le Spring (Family Search)
    Daughter Sarah's Baptism- 26th June 1825 Houghton Le Spring (Family Search)
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I have John's death as the day of Sarah's Baptism through Free Reg and 2 other dates through Family Search, but only one matches 1791.
    Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Son's details:
    Baptism- 20th August 1820 Houghton
    Marriage- 1838, Stockton-On-Tees
    Daughter Sarah's Baptism- 1839, Great Stainton
    Son Thomas Baptism- 1841, Great Stainton
    Son Robert's Baptism- 1844 Great Stainton
    Son William's Baptism- 1849 Great Stainton
    1841 Census
    1851 Census
    1861 Census
    no 1871
    1881 Census
    This is where I've made a mistake as I had an 1881 for a John Philips, wife Sushannah and a Grandson named John.T.Philips but I've realized that it's the wrong person and I can't find an 1871 Census but there's a Death in Teesdale for the year 1865 on FreeBDM and Ancestry, it's the only one closest to my locations. Does anyone think it's him as I originally had one for 1895, Stockton with a birth year of abt 1822.

Hoping someone can help with my mistake,
    Sarah.

P.S. I'll be going at 10 so please don't think I'm being ignorant if I don't reply.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

What about John and Susanna Phillips living in Darlington in 1871? His occupation, age and Susanna's age match previous census.
    Jay

Comment

Hmmm not sure that John was born/baptised at HLS. Going off the census he looks to of been born in Durham City. Durham records online have a baptism in 1818 in Durham District, from the free search the abode is given as Crossgate .... And from family search the details are

John son of William and Sarah baptised 11 Oct 1818 at St Mary the Less, Durham City.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
      Jay

Comment

The Teesdale death is most likely to be for the John Phillips who was living at Staindrop.
        Jay

Comment

Goodness, unless there are two Barton le Streets, it's a long step from Barton near Malton to Houghton le Spring, between Durham and Sunderland. Are you sure it's the same John Phillips?
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm not 100% about the birth Janet, this is a mysterious man, the marriage and birth of the children is correct though. There's talk in the family that the Phillips lot came from Thornaby-On-Tees but obviously they didn't, then they say it's Welsh but that's through Granddad's Mum though.

I did find a Thornaby death a while ago but now I can no longer find it. Plus one of the John's is meant to have committed Murder but I have yet to find proof of that as well. John Senior did disappear after the baptism of Sarah, it's only recently that I found the death but I'm not 100% about that either.

John Junior WAS baptised at HLS as I have it here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N1D1-YKM

John Junior's marrriage: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/...C=25&locale=en

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
              I have 2 John Phillips, Father and Son.

Daughter Sarah's Baptism- 26th June 1825 Houghton Le Spring (Family Search)
              https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ber%3AC03079-3

I have John's death as the day of Sarah's Baptism through Free Reg and 2 other dates through Family Search, but only one matches 1791.
              Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Image of baptism entry for Sarah which shows father John was deceased.

and image of burial entry for John Phillips on the same day - abode matches that of baptism entry

.. so you can definitely forget about the 1836 burial on freeREG,
              Elaine

Comment

Elaine, you are a star! Thank you immensely, I don't know how you found that one but I will be forever grateful for it. Now I just need to confirm a birth place for him and find Junior's death.

Comment

We seem to be working the wrong way round here Sarah.

Are you sure that you are correct back to the marriage on 6 Dec 1838 for John Phillips and Susanna Fairbain?
                  If so I would think the next step is to get the marriage certificate to confirm the father for John.

I don't see how you can get from the 1838 marriage, back to the possible baptism of John Phillips in 1820 Houghton-le-Spring with any certainty - unless of course you have found something that links the two!
                  Elaine

Comment

I saw on FamilySearch an 1820 baptism in HLS for a John Phillips which matched the age of the Census records on Ancestry:

I don't have proof of them being the same person but I couldn't find a birth near Stockton matching those years, plus the Phillips family do move about an awful lot for work etc.

Comment

I saw on FamilySearch an 1820 baptism in HLS for a John Phillips which matched the age of the Census records on Ancestry:

You are going to need more than that. The name is not an uncommon one.
                      I think you either need to order the MC or see if you can get to the archives to see if they have the PRs for Stainton-le-Street, which is where the marriage took place.
                      Elaine

Comment

Aye I will. Thanks for helping to clear most of it up though, thanks to the image link I now have the Baptisms of John Junior and Ann.

Comment

Aye I will. Thanks for helping to clear most of it up though, thanks to the image link I now have the Baptisms of John Junior and Ann.
                          .. providing of course they are the right family!
                          Elaine

Comment

True, but at least I have them saved just in case. It's always best to be prepared otherwise I'll never remember where I found the images.

I just wish that it had more Stockton information.

Comment

I don't have proof of them being the same person but I couldn't find a birth near Stockton matching those years, plus the Phillips family do move about an awful lot for work etc.
                              That census lists his birthplace as Durham, Durham not HLS. The other census don't list his birthplace as HLS either so I really don't think the HLS baptism is for the John you are looking for.

As Elaine says you need John and Susannah's marriage cert to confirm the name of his father and then try to find his baptism. I wouldn't be surprised if his father is listed as William on the cert as those census for John point to the baptism I posted up thread.
                              Last edited by JayG; 04-07-13, 15:41.
                              Jay

Comment

Oh and Robert (John Junior's Son) also traveled back to Houghton and got married. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

Comment

Bear in mind that percentage wise the number of baptisms and marriages included on family search is in the minority - there were far more which are NOT included. Also, coverage has always been patchy, both in the number of places covered and also in the years included, which can vary greatly from parish to parish.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

On the 51 and 61 census there's a John Phillips (aged 60 then 70) born at Butterwick, Yorkshire. Butterwick is in the parish of Barton le Street. Butterwick didn't have a church until 1859 so people born there would be baptised at Barton le Street. So the baptism you have found would appear to be for this John.
                                    Jay

Comment

Oh well back to the drawing board it is then. Like I said I did find a Thornaby birth but it's mysteriously disappeared.

Comment

Knowing me this is probably him: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/...g=5&cy=51&rC=1

Comment

Working...
                                        X