France birth records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France birth records

I was ancestry and trying to find france birth records, so I go down the bottom where you can choose other sites to visit. I click on france thinking it would be a good place to find france birth records. The site is in french lol

My Father in law was telling me that some records in france got burnt during the revolution or something like that.

Does anyone know if it's possible to find a birth record from france if the person was born about 1860 ?

Also can anyone confirm this for me,
    Ancestor born in france last name Normand, in Australia name is now Norman.
    Father in law said that the d on the end of Norman indicates where the person came from.
    Apparently there is Normand, Normanty, and Normanth and that will give you an indication of where that Norman came from, has anyone heard of this before ?
    Last edited by Leanne; 03-07-13, 12:36.

Leanne

I believe French bmds are only available on a regional basis, so you have to know exactly where a person was born. (Someone will correct me if that is wrong).

Never heard that a d on the end of a name indicates where they came from although I suppose there might be some historical influence at play.

There are some births/baptisms for France on family search.

OC

Comment

I am stuck ! I don't know how else to find out any information about him.
      I have his marriage certificate. His parents aren't listed on it and birthplace is just France.

Comment

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...French-records Pascal has offered help with French records/research.....Edna

Comment

Aren't his parents and birthplace listed on his Australian death cert?

Ancestry doesn't have many French records; a lot of French départements have their archives online, but as OC said, you need to know which département they were born in, because there's no national index.

Les archives départementales en ligne permettent de consulter l'état civil, les registres paroissiaux et d

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            Aren't his parents and birthplace listed on his Australian death cert?

Ancestry doesn't have many French records; a lot of French départements have their archives online, but as OC said, you need to know which département they were born in, because there's no national index.

http://www.guide-genealogie.com/guid...-en-ligne.html
            His parent's aren't listed on his Australian Marriage Certificate and I can't find any Australian death record for him.

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
              http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...French-records Pascal has offered help with French records/research.....Edna
              Thanks

Comment

Do you want to post his details (name, approximate year of birth, and whereabouts in Aus he lived) so we can have a look for him?
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-13, 13:29.

Comment

Do you want to post his details (name, approximate year of birth, and whereabouts in Aus he lived) so we can have a look for him?
                  approx year of birth 1859 / 1860 ?
                  1884 Marriage cert name Adolphe Normand, born france - age 25 years ( Parents not named) wife Elizabeth M Ketley 17 years
                  On the 1884 birth cert of his child his name is Adolphus Norman wife Elizabeth Norman ( nee Ketley)
                  Lived at Field of mars, Ryde, NSW Australia

Comment

Sorry, I've just realised you posted his details on your other thread:

Have you found him on any electoral rolls?

Comment

I've checked the Catholic Cemetery records for Field of Mars, but he's not listed there, or at Rookwood.

Is the Adolphus Norman who died in 1964 his son?

Comment

Sorry, I've just realised you posted his details on your other thread:

Have you found him on any electoral rolls?
                        No I haven't been able to find him, someone said he wouldn't have any rights to vote

Comment

Oh yes, I was forgetting he was French, so unless he was naturalised I don't suppose he could vote.

Can't see him on the 1891 or 1901 censuses, but I think they only list the names of householders.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-13, 14:22.

Comment

You can get a copy of the divorce papers from the NSW archives, but I don't know if they'd mention his parents' names or birthplace.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-13, 14:26.

Comment

I've had a look at the naturalisation records on Ancestry and NSW Archives, but the only Adolph Norman naturalised was born in Sweden c. 1867. Might be worth looking at the Ancestry image just to be certain that it's not your man, but I don't think it's him (I can't check it myself, because my Ancestry sub's expired).

His full name was Per Adolf Michael Hanson Norman; he married Eliza J Robinson in Newcastle 1897 and lived in Singleton.

Comment

There's a tree on Ancestry with Adolphus Norman born 1858 France, marrying Elizabeth Mary Catt in 1884. However, that tree also has Adolphus arriving in Australia 18th Dec 1884. So if they are correct, either he know Liz before he got here, met her on the way over (haven't checked her records) or was a very fast worker...lol

Comment

Forgot to add there is also two children for him on that tree.

Comment

Yeah there are a few trees online with wrong info.
                                    The ship record has to be wrong cause it says he arrived 12th Aug 1884. but he was married here on 7th Aug 1884
                                    He married Elizabeth M Ketly, but she has been married 2 or 3 times after him, hence the different names.
                                    Adolphus and Elizabeth had two children.
                                    Elizabeth M Ketley was born in Australia, Pennant Hills she was 17 when she married Adolphe/Adolphus and had her first child
                                    Their children are Francis Catherine Norman1885-1965 and Neville D Norman 1887-1925 ( Death index seems to indicate that Neville was also known as Patrick Ketley) We haven't got his death certificate but there is a death index for Neville and Patrick and they are the exact same registration number)

Comment

Have you got the marriage cert for Liz and Adolphus? That should have parents of both and a signature of Liz's father as she was underage. I have Ketleys in my lot but they didn't come out till the mid 1870s.

Comment

Sorry...just saw you have it and another thread. I'll check that out first.

Comment

Working...
                                        X