Ancestry pages freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry pages freezing

When I am adding records to my tree on Ancestry the page often freezes and it take forever for it to unfreeze I have to go into Task manager and cancel the site.
    This happens with both IE and Chrome,anyone know a reason why ?
    I am also back to having to click on everything twice on FMP before the page will open.
    Could it be my memory needs updating?
    Help please

Don't have a problem on Ancestry but I do have the same on FMP sometimes, when most things need a double click to open. So you're not alone there.
    Anne

Comment

Anne if you google which I have been tonight ,it seems its a problem on FMP for most people something to do with its memory ? very annoying as I sometimes do something thinking the page will be there when I come back and of course its not.

Comment

Val, what is the spec of the computer you are using, i.e. Operating System, Processor, Memory etc. I you can provide some details may be able to advise if any form of upgrade is required.

D

Comment

pc.jpgThanks for replying Dermot its Vista, and driving me nuts

Comment

Well with that spec, 2gb of memory should be OK. That model can take up to 4Gb (667 Mhz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM). You could install another 2Gb but I don't think that is the real problem. (Between £18 - £30 from www.ebuyer.com).

Is the PC up to dates with with updates and the latest versions of IE and chrome.

D

Comment

hi again yes I do all the updates as they appear, and have IE 9 and 27.0.1453.110m chrome ?

Comment

the pc just froze again completely ? I was trying to check to make sure all the updates were done

Comment

Hallo again Val, I always haveto click on records twice on FMP, but I generally use my Ipad so I don't know if that is way. Will have to see if it happend on the laptop and PC.
                  Jay

Comment

its very frustrating Jay dont know why it happens it never used to ?

Comment

Val, when the PC freezes next, start the task manager.

i) record the 3 numbers shown at the bottom of the displayed window i.e. Processes, CPU Usage & Commit change
                      ii) Click on the Processes tab at the top
                      iii) Sort the data by CPU usage by clicking on CPU. Record (or better still screen capture) the details of the top 5 items
                      iv) Repeat for Mem Usage

Send me those details.

D

Comment

will do and thanks Dermot for your help

Comment

well have to report a weird thing, suddenly got 18 updates ? dont know why as I always do them as they are needed, and now the pc starts up a lot quicker and its only froze a couple of times but I suppose even thats not right ?

Comment

There was a large Windows Update on Tuesday of this week - I had 17 come through - sounds as if it has just hit you!
                            Elaine

Comment

thank goodness Elaine wondered if I had missed any, thats an awful lot isn't it?

Comment

Certainly more than usual!
                                Elaine

Comment

Microsoft issued 21 updates on 'patch tuesday' not really a large amount, as last month it was 17

Researching:
                                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I dont remember having 17 in one go last month Trevor did we??

Comment

Microsoft routinely release update on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, Patch Tuesday that Trevor refers to above. The number will vary considerably from just 3-4 to 50+ on occasions.

The numbers that any given computers will pick up will depend on what is already installed on the computer and what needs updating.

Other updates may be released during the month depending on the urgency of the patch and if Microsoft think they need to 'patch the patch' they just released.

Val, certainly sounds like this round of patches have fixed a few issues. Don't forget to send me the details I mentioned if you want me to see if I can detect an issue.

D

Comment

thanks for explaining it Dermot, and thanks for offering to help me again, will certainly let you know if I need help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X