french help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french help please

can i get some help with a marriage entry please? i am trying to figure out where the groom came from, and where any children would have been born.

st pierre, beauvais, picardy (now oise) 1 feb 1717.
    sr balthazar antoine michault........diocese of mans (is this le mans?) son of the deceased antoine michault, royal notary at st just (st just en chausee?) and of marie le paige (also deceased) diocese of beauvais. (what does this bit mean? where the marriage took place?).
    spouse demoiselle theres francoise faguet, daughter of the deceased francois faguet and deceased magdalene goguet.

there are no children born at st pierre in beauvais up till 1735, and the wife was born in 1679, so getting on in years for childbirth. she was buried in beauvais 1760. so far, i have not seen a burial for the groom in beauvais.

Have you tried Pascal http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...French-records
    Foxyloxy

Comment

As I am waiting for someone to fix my washing machine, I reply to you immediately (I don't promise to be so quick next time...:-)
      Here is my transcription :
      Le Sr (Sieur) Balthazar Antoine Michault demt (demeurant) au Pont de Gegne (now Pont de Gennes, département de la Sarthe, 72) diocèse du Mans ("du" = "de le" so yes it is Le Mans, dépt. 72) fils des defunts Antoine Michault notaire royal à St Just (you read better than me and probably the father died in Saint-Just-en-Chaussée, which is very close to Beauvais) et de Marie Lepaige diocèse de Beauvais (dépt. de l'Oise, 60) a épousé le 1er février 1717 Dle (Demoiselle) Thérèse Françoise Faguet fille des deffunts François Faguet Coner (conseiller) du Roy receveur des consignations de Beauvais et de Dle Madelaine Goguet en conséquence de la publication des 3 bans du futur mariage dans la paroisse de ND de la Bassoeuvre (there is a Church called Notre-Dame-de-la-Basse-Œuvre in Beauvais et it is where Madelaine comes from) et de la publication d'un ban en la paroisse du Pont de Gegne et de la dispense des deux autres à eux accordée par Mgr (Monseigneur) l'Eveque du ...

It is very clear to me that marriage took place in Saint-Pierre in Beauvais, where you found the record. The four parents are deceased.

It is strange because my father family is splitted between dépt. 60 and 72 too, and I often go to Beauvais to search in archives. For that reason, I also subscribed to l'Association généalogique de l'Oise (free.ageoise.com, very bad interface but you can see what they got with a click on button [Travaux]) where I just saw that Saint-Pierre and Basse-Œuvre are linked.

On my mother side, I got few royal notaries too, and I just sent a question to national archives to ask if I can find something in Paris about their charges. In Beauvais, they have a book with all notaries and another one with "dispenses" sorted by name. I will check for you next time I go.

Pascal

Comment

Well, I don't know if I replied so quick for you as I see you posted your message on 02/07 but I received it only 2 hours ago, don't know why...

Comment

thanx foxy for the suggestion!

pascal, thank you for this. the faguet family is an old gentry one from beauvais. they were ennobled in 1635 i think it was. but i can't find any children, so i will look in pont de gennes. failing that, i can also check st just en chausee. thank for the help.
          st pierre became notre dame basse ouvre in 1737 i think it was. that's when the parish name changes on the oise archives website. i will look at the genealogy group. thank for the offer of the notary book. i have not heard of one before.

Comment

I got something interesting for you, and you can see it by yourself. Go on archives de l'Oise website. Click on [Faire une recherche], then on [Comment accéder aux documents], then on the word "inventaires".

That opens a new window with all on-line inventories. Many of them are very interesting, but click on [Toutes périodes], then on [Archives notariales], choose Saint-Just and open the PDF file...

Of course, you only got the documents reference, as notaries files are not on-line, but it will maybe give you some useful dates.

Another link is quite interesting. Click on [Avant 1790], then on [Contrôle des actes] (fees payed for any registering, such as contracts of marriage, wills, inventories after death, etc., and it is called "Enregistrement" after 1790), then open PDF files and see what they got for Beauvais or Saint-Just. If you tell me your email address, I can send you a picture I took showing where they pay the fees. Again, it will only give you the references to ask when you go to Beauvais... What you got there is sometimes the copy of notary record, and anyway his name. It is very useful to search there first. For the marriage we talk about, they probably sign a contract at Michault's on same day or day before.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me again if you need.

Pascal

Comment

thank you pascal. i followed the instructions and found the michault's that were royal notaries. family business i think! i think maybe antoine balthazar could have been buried at st just, and his wife in her home parish of beauvais. but is that normal? i havn't encountered it before. might be something to think about with their daughter, who i can't find a birth, marriage or death for! though the michault's and faguet's are listed as family on her children's births.
              i found the second one you were talking about, but wasn't too sure what i was looking at. dates mostly.

Comment

As a subscriber to www.geneanet.org (very good website whith optional English interface, €40/year), I have searched for Antoine MICHAULT in dépt. 60, and I found only one who was a godfather in 1724 in Ravenel. I will send you the picture. I also found something about Anne MICHAULT who was born about 1721. Maybe the woman you search for.

About Balthazar, nothing is said he was a notary too (I think it would have been written), but MICHAULT "le Jeune" is probably a brother. I have no idea where to search for the missing records. Good luck!

About the "contrôle des actes", it is only a track to find records.

Pascal

Comment

Working...
                X