Dcm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dcm

George Attewell b. 1842 in Oxfordshire was in the 2/23rd Welsh Fusiliers, where he eventually became Sergeant. In 1873 he took part in the Ashanti campaign where, according to a book on Google, he was awarded the DCM (http://archive.org/stream/shorthisto...e/232/mode/2up)

In 1879 he retired and became a Chelsea Pensioner (I have copies of his records) but nowhere on his records is a DCM mentioned. In 1881 he is in Wales with his wife Emma, but I can't trace him after that.

The only other mention I can find of him is about a painting in the Royal Collection, although his name is misspelled. http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/co...elsh-fusiliers

How can I find out more about this DCM - I have tried the London Gazette and the Welsh Fusiliers site and TNA

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I've found a newspaper article, Morning Post 18 May 1874 which says he had the medal at Windsor Castle along with another sergeant and a private, but no details of how it was won.

Comment

The Royal Collection catalogue entry is an Albumen Print - that is a photograph not a painting. It may be worth contacting the curator to see if they can let you have a copy..

Historic Photographs
      The Curator
      Royal Photograph Collection
      The Round Tower
      Windsor Castle
      Berkshire SL4 1NJ
      F. +44 (0)1753 831834
      rpc@royalcollection.org.uk

The entry on the medal roll is on Ancestry:

Last edited by AntonyM; 01-07-13, 19:27.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

thanks Jill and Antony - I wonder if they would let me pop round and have a look, I live just up the road from Windsor :D

Will try an e-mail anyway, you never know!
        Linda

Comment

Here's a free newspaper article on the presentation should you not have access to a pay-for-view-site. This article is shorter than the Morning Post one.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

The medal roll has a remark by his entry referring to the Caernarvon Militia - if that is where he lived, it would be worth looking for a report in a local newspaper either at the time he was awarded the medal, or perhaps in an obituary. They are more likely to give information about the circumstances in which the medal was won, rather than the court announcement of the presentation.

From experience I can tell you the Royal Collections are very reluctant to give access to original material, but they may well send a copy - still it is always worth asking.

Looking at his discharge papers from 1879 on FMP - two medals are mentioned (on page 1) ...

" In possession of the medal for the West Coast of Africa (which will be the Ashantee Medal) & clasp for Coomassie and medal for distinguished service in the field "
            Last edited by AntonyM; 01-07-13, 20:08.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for the tip Antony - I found this website http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home which has a fuller account of the medal award ceremony, but unfortunately nothing specific for George. Great reading though!

The ceremony:http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/e...ART32/attewell
              Linda

Comment

I have now found a marriage for Emma Attewell, George's widow in June 1890 in Liverpool to John Warren, which means George died sometime between 1881 and 1890, but as yet I can't find his death entry. However on looking at FMP, I can see an article on the Western Mail, under the heading The Newbridge Elopement which mentions George Attewell and Rose Rees. Rose Rees was George's sister-in-law, so I think this might refer to him. It is dated Saturday 5 Nov 1887. Could someone please have a look and let me know what it says, as it might help narrow his date of death a bit more.

Thanks,
                Linda

Comment

The elopement case is a different item in the same column. The Attewell case is headed "Extraordinary case at Newport". George is described as a pensioner and licensed victualler living in Wrexham and was summoned by Rose Rees of 3 Upper Jeddo St to show why he was not supporting her illegitimate child. He was represented by his wife who was Rose's step sister. He was adjudged to be the father of the child and ordered to pay 4 shillings a week (I think it says 4 but its not clear)
                  Jackie

Comment

There's another article in the Wrexham Advertiser dated 17th December 1887 that says that the license of the Dolphin Inn was endorsed to Ezra Edmund Pugh "the former tenant, George Attewell, having left"
                    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie - thats really interesting. I'm pretty sure it's my George, and Rose was living with George and Emma in 1881. I'll have to try and find her in 1891 then, hopefully she'll have the baby with her. George and Emma didn't have any children that I could see.

Thanks also for the second article - I wonder if he went to Liverpool?
                      Last edited by ozgirl; 01-07-13, 23:42.
                      Linda

Comment

OK I've found another article dated 19th November 1887 which is quite long and where Emma issued a summons against George for assault. George didn't appear and they were granted a judicial separation and he was ordered to pay a fine and a weekly allowance

If you want the full article, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy
                        Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, PM on its way.
                          Linda

Comment

Article sent
                            Jackie

Comment

Working...
                            X