Trying to find parents of Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find parents of Mary

John Moss and Mary Jennings were married on 22 Aug 1808 at St Deny's Cold Ashby Northamptonshire.

Mary died and was buried in Cold Ashby in 1852

I am trying to find Mary's parents and wondered if someone could look at the 1851 census to see if she has written down where she was born ?

I have found
    Ursilla Jennings, mother of Mary (illegitimate) bap St Mary and st Leodegarius Ashby St Ledgers Northampton 10 Jul 1785. However I have found this Mary was buried in Aug 1785, so it isn't her.
    Foxyloxy

do you know when she was born as there are a couple on 1851

Comment

there is a Mary Moss born abt 1784 a Nurse born in Addston Northamptonshire living in Cold Ashby Husband John born abt 1780 Cold Ashby he is blind and an annuitant
      Last edited by Guest; 01-07-13, 12:12.

Comment

Does this sound like the right family 1851 England census

Comment

Mary Ann Moss
          abt 1824
          Wife
          John Masters Moss
          F (Female)
          Shirstone, Northamptonshire, England
          Whilton
          Northamptonshire
          England

Comment

If she is the one still married to John Moss in 1851 , she is 67 (b 1784ish) in what I think says Addston (although transcribed on Ancestry as Addstop), probably now Adstone ?

Adstone was part of the parish of Canons Ashby until 1866 so you will need to look at their baptism records.
            Last edited by AntonyM; 01-07-13, 12:26.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

they have a daughter Betsy born abt 1828 also in Cold Ashby

Comment

oops didn't check the dates, I guess it can't be her if she was married in 1808 and this record shows Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824

Comment

John Moss was a shoemaker, he was born in 1779 Cold Ashby Northamptonshire and died in 1857

Val
                  Betsy born abt 1828 also in Cold Ashby yes she was their daughter

AntonnM yes that sounds like her

Leanne
                  possibly some part of the Moss family but a later generation maybe a nephew etc, but nothing is wasted as far as knowing later generations, it is noted for later

OK at All Saints 'Adstone' there seems to be a couple John and Mary JENNINS baptising children but I can't find a Mary baptised there, the only Mary I can find is baptised at St Mary the Virgin Burton Latimer in 1780 Samuel and Mary JENNINGS.
                  Foxyloxy

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    there is a Mary Moss born abt 1784 a Nurse born in Addston Northamptonshire living in Cold Ashby Husband John born abt 1780 Cold Ashby he is blind and an annuitant
                    1813-28 he was a shoemaker ( written on baptism of his children) but of course by 1851 he could have been blind
                    Foxyloxy

Comment

Mary Moss
                      abt 1784
                      Wife
                      John Moss
                      F (Female)
                      Addstop, Northamptonshire, England
                      Cold Ashby
                      Northamptonshire England

The writing is hard to read and I don't know England at all, looks like birth place is Addslop

It says John Moss is blind.
                      Mary is a nurse, Betsy is a dress maker?
                      Last edited by Leanne; 01-07-13, 13:45.

Comment

Thanks Leanne as far as I can work out Betsy was their youngest child and she married in 1855. On her baptism record ( and some of the other siblings) John was a shoemaker, so it is sad he was blind in later life
                        On John and mary marriage record it says Mary was previously of Adston Northamps, but that doesn't always mean she was born there, but everything looks like she was, I just can't find a baptism for her, although there are a couple in the village baptising children at that time with the name of Jennins, which looks likely to be her parents, but would really like to find proof of her baptism.
                        Last edited by foxyloxy; 01-07-13, 14:26.
                        Foxyloxy

Comment

jennings/jennins same name. take a look at both. i have a bilson family from rutland that swaps with bilsdon all the time. it is common in the parish and with families swapping between the two it makes it hard.
                          my point is, you will come across a lot of names and changes, so remember to look under any variants you come across, even if they are separate surnames ie morton and martin can be found according to the records.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            jennings/jennins same name. take a look at both. i have a bilson family from rutland that swaps with bilsdon all the time. it is common in the parish and with families swapping between the two it makes it hard.
                            my point is, you will come across a lot of names and changes, so remember to look under any variants you come across, even if they are separate surnames ie morton and martin can be found according to the records.
                            Yes I agree and I do and I have often found it is simply a change of curate/parish clerk will depend on the spelling of the name in the same parish records. I have several who had children baptised in one parish each and every spelling of their surname was different BUT I was able to prove with other records, such as census returns, the childrens marriages etc it was the same family 'group', it just makes it harder at this time in history to find other records to prove what I think, with this Jennins family they only baptised two children in that village but no Mary and no sign of them in other local villages baptising other children. Both of these 'brothers' stayed locally as I found them in the 1841 census, so I think I need to research them both and see if they married, if there are witnesses at their marriages, you never know might even be a Mary Moss ( wishful thinking) that doesn't prove anything I know but it does tell me there is some sort of 'connection'
                            Mary married in 1808 and the witnesses to the marriage were both 'Moss' I am assuming either John's father or brother both called William and a Mary Moss ( he had a sister called Mary who would have been over 21 yrs when he married)
                            Foxyloxy

Comment

i don't think wittnesses had to be over 21.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                i don't think wittnesses had to be over 21.
                                Really? I thought they were not legally an adult until they were 21, but she was over 21 anyway

Add: Just shows what I assumed, having looked at another marriage record/witness I have in another line they would have 13 years old at that time.
                                Last edited by foxyloxy; 02-07-13, 12:09.
                                Foxyloxy

Comment

i don't remember what the age in england was (13?), but in france i have 10 year olds being godparents at younger siblings births.

Comment

Apparently even now there is no minimum age for witnesses ..... so I phoned to get some advice and was told

"The law does not give any guidance on the age of witnesses at weddings, but if you’re thinking of having a witnesses under the age of 18, ask your Vicar for further advice, as it depends on what they say, normally they will advise you to have at least one over 18, even if you have an extra witness"

and for getting married prior to the Marriage Act 1929 boys aged 14 and girls aged 12 could marry, after that it was over 16yrs ( with consent)
                                    So that is my new bit of education I have learned for today;D
                                    Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
                                    X