The Corrigans of Fermanagh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Corrigans of Fermanagh

My great grandfather, Anthony Corrigan, was born in Farmanagh in 1835. His father is shown on Anthony's marriage certificate as "John Corrigan - Farmer". Anthony had a youngerv brother Patrick and may have had other siblings. Anthony joined the British Army in Glasgow at the age of 18 and served until 1871.

Any helpwelcomed.

Tony Corrigan

With the exception of a part of the 1821 census for Fermanagh, nearly all the Irish censuses prior to 1901 have been destroyed and so you won’t find the family from that source. Anthony’s birth is long before the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland (1864) so you won’t find a birth certificate for him. You might find his baptism if you can track down where he came from. Without some idea of which parish he came from it can be tricky. You also need to know what denomination he was. Though the vast majority of Corrigans in Fermanagh were RC, the 1901 census shows some to be Church of Ireland.

Griffiths Valuation of Ireland was conducted in Fermanagh in 1862. It lists properties with a rental value of £5 a year or more. Most farmers would be listed. If John Corrigan was still alive in 1862, and was a farmer, he is probably listed there. There are 16 people named John Corrigan listed, in 9 different parishes. You could try searching the 9 parish records for Anthony’s baptism. Unfortunately not all RC parishes have records that go back as far as the 1830s. You can see what RC parish records survive and where copies are held on this link:

Here’s a link to Griffiths Valuation:

You can take the Griffiths valuation records forward, right up to 1930, and see when a farm was vacated etc using this link:

PRONI is the official archive for Northern Ireland and holds documents covering a period from 1600 to the present day
    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyCorrigan View Post
      Anthony joined the British Army in Glasgow at the age of 18 and served until 1871.
      So it sounds like you have his attestation papers/pension record?

Comment

I have his Service Documents but it does not give the Parish of birth or |\next of \kin.

Comment

Working...
        X