Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edward or Edmund DANNEL - are they the same person??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward or Edmund DANNEL - are they the same person??!!

Greetings members - I have been away from digging for a while but am now trying to tie up a lot of loose ends and have struck (yet another) problem.

My 4 x g g is an Edmund DANNEL, m to a Hannah HELLIER in Moreton, Dorset on 11 Oct 1779. The witnesses were not related as far as I can see.

I cannot find a birth for a Edmund DANNEL, who according to his Death was born in approximately 1748. There are no DANNEL's in Moreton, even using alternate spellings of the name (one of his sons was named as a DANIEL.

The only close match I can find is an Edward born in 1748 but in Tolpuddle, Dorset, which is about 5 miles away.

Details on A** are:
    Marriage
    Parish: Moreton. Banns of Marriage Edmund DANNEL marriage - Edmund DANNEL and Hannah HELLIER both of this Parish were published on 12th, 19th & 26th of Sept 1779 with Prohibition married in this Church by Banns this eleventh day of October 1779. Signed by Edmund DANNEL and the mark of Hannah HELLLIER. Witnesses: David HOOPER & Mary HOOPER.

Baptism
    Parish: Tolpuddle. 1748 Jul 28 Edward son of John and Luce DANNEL Baptised

My dilemma is - could Edward be Edmund but for some reason the name was changed when he married - or am I grasping at that elusive straw again???

Would appreciate any feedback from members on this.

Regards,

Marion
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

edmund is a dimunitive of edward, and in my experience, interchangeable. so it is quite possible. have you looked for a marriage of a daniel hooper to a mary?

Comment

I have had a hunt in case but couldn't find a Daniel and a Mary in a marriage. The Hoopers were quite prevalent in Moreton but so far have not found a Daniel in the area. Next step I shall take is to see if I can find any Daniel's that could be possibilities with a Mary in the same family - not sure if it will help but am prepared to follow any trail.

Comment

Found a David Hooper b 1744 and a Mary Hooper b 1740 both b to a James and Mary Hooper in Moreton. At this stage cannot find there is any relationship between the witnesses or their family to Edward/Edmund Daniel.

Comment

I'd not come across the idea of Edmund being a diminutive of Edward, as far as i know they are separate names BUT in my long line of ancestors, all called Edmund Evered, I have found several who appear in one register or another transcribed as Edward - explained I believe partly by the fact that in a certain style of old writing m n w u and several other letters appear just as a series of verticals linked by curves which need context to interpret, and partly by the fact my lot were known by the diminutive name of Ned which could be short for either name so the vicar or clerk may have jumped to conclusions.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

agree with judith in many shorter versions, i was thinking could have been called 'ed' 'ned' 'eddy' and the vicar assumed one name.

Comment

Hi Judith,
              This is about the only Edmund I have in the whole of my tree would you believe! Edward's yes but not Edmund - I studied both the baptism and marriage records and they are quite plain so it seems a case of whether it's a possibility that I could accept Edward is the same person and "adopt" the Tolpuddle family as 5x g grandparents.
              Marion

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                agree with judith in many shorter versions, i was thinking could have been called 'ed' 'ned' 'eddy' and the vicar assumed one name.
                So it is possible to assume I could link Edward to Edmund for parenting purposes!?

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                  So it is possible to assume I could link Edward to Edmund for parenting purposes!?
                  I have some in my tree that are interchangeable between Edward and Edmund on successive census returns.

Margaret

Comment

My father was Edward and on his marriage cert, which I bought as a copy from the GROS, he is clearly Edmund.

I agree with Judith, Edward and Edmund are barely distinguishable as separate words when written in cursive or copperplate. The outline of the words is exactly the same.

OC

Comment

Thank you good people one and all, I shall triple check that there are no more marriages for an Edward Dannel and no deaths and then add Edward's parents to the tree.
                      Now that I have started digging again you may hear more from me in the future again.
                      Many thanks again - much appreciated.

Comment

Are you getting the Edward/Edmund entries from original sources or from transcriptions ?

They are very often mis-transcribed as they can appear virtually identical in some old handwriting I have seen.
                        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

They are from A*** which has the copies of the originals from the Dorset Records Office - I have looked at them carefully and one is definitely Edward and one us definitely Edmund.

Comment

Working...
                          X