Census records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census records

If my grandparents moved to Australia in 1960, would they be in the 1963 census ?

Did Canada take a census in 1963? I thought it was 1961 and if he moved in 1960 then he would have filled in a census however it is not open for you to see..... From what I read Canada releases census for public viewing after 92years
    Foxyloxy

Comment

Canada???

Comment

Australia.

Ancestry has census on there up to 1980

Comment

Presume you are referring to electoral rolls rather than a census?
          Elaine

Comment

Oh yes sorry Electoral rolls

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              Canada???
              I had just been looking at a Canadian passenger ship record in the 1960 and that was still in my head..Sorry
              Foxyloxy

Comment

I'm pretty sure that British subjects did not need to become Australian citizens to have the right to vote in Australian elections in the 1960s....so I would think that your grandparents would have been on the electoral rolls if they chose to exercise that right.

(My computer is on a 'go slow' at the moment so it is taking a while to bring up the article I need to confirm that statement)

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that British subjects did not need to become Australian citizens to have the right to vote in Australian elections in the 1960s....so I would think that your grandparents would have been on the electoral rolls if they chose to exercise that right.
                  My 2x Great Aunt (Sarah Newsholme) moved to Australia in 1912 and she's in the electoral role for 1913 so I wouldn't imagine that you would need to be an Australian Citizen with the paperwork etc. Wait, is that what you actually meant Beverley?
                  Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

The first 5 year cycle census was begun in 1961 , but it is my belief that after the records are processed by the ABS the records are then destroyed because of a lack of storage space. Also much of previous records have been destroyed for the same reason.

If you google Australian census records you will find quite a lot of articles on the subject.
                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I know that things changed in later years. My husband's grandparents (Scottish) arrived in 1915 and were on the electoral rolls, but I have a feeling that after the European Common market etc etc, late 1960s, you didn't have automatic right to vote as an immigrant from Britainbut had to take out Australian citizenship ...but I can't remember exactly when the changes occurred and as I said, my computer is going so slow right now, it is making googling difficult. I googled for 'British voting rights in Australia in 1960' and a reference came up, but I can't open it as yet

Beverley

Comment

I do know that my Nanna and Granddad Phillips were going to Immigrate to the same place in the 60/70's and they needed to have a reference, jobs, a home and so forth before they could go over but luckily they never went in the end. Imagine having to put up with hisses *shudders*

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                          I do know that my Nanna and Granddad Phillips were going to Immigrate to the same place in the 60/70's and they needed to have a reference, jobs, a home and so forth before they could go over but luckily they never went in the end. Imagine having to put up with hisses *shudders*
                          My family has told me that My grandfathers brother and my grandmothers sister came out first. They were married.
                          My grandfather and his brother, married my grandmother and her sister.

What does putting up with the hisses mean ?

Comment

I have a phobia of very large worms, something which Australia is known for.

Comment

Oh the snakes lol They aren't too common in the built up city areas. Mainly only a problem if you live on properly or close to the bush.

Comment

Don't have to worry about the "hisses" Lennon they are normally more scared of you than the other way around. and will scarper if given a chance.
                                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X