Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone on here cancelled a Sub to 'FindmyPast' Site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone on here cancelled a Sub to 'FindmyPast' Site?

Has anyone on here had any success in cancelling a subscription to the 'Find my Past' Site?

I took out a years sub to that Site last January, but have become increasingly dissatisfied with it. Often records that I know to exist return a NIL result to searches, and the search facility itself seems cumbersome and non-user friendly.

I tried to cancel my sub by email today, but had a reply saying that this cannot be done. I've had no problem cancelling subs to Ancestry, and had no idea that you couldn't cancell a sub that you weren't happy with on FMP.

Has anyone on here ever managed to cancell a sub to FMP?

Holly

I doubt you would be able to cancel half way through a years sub ,do you mean this January you signed up?
    I personally have both FMP and Ancestry and prefer FMP , as I find if you cannot find a record on one you usually can on the other.

Comment

Looking at the relevant terms and conditions (below) I don't think you can cancel a sub part way through the year, but you can cancel the continuous membership so that they won't renew your sub next January.
      To be fair, as you have already used about 6 months of your sub they could say you aren't entitled to a refund as there's no way of knowing whether you may already had access to as many records as other subscribers do in a year.
      I must say that I find their search facility easier to use than some other subscription sites so haven't ever tried to cancel.

Continuous membership
      :
      When you take out a subscription, it is on a continuous membership basis, meaning that your subscription will automatically renew unless you cancel it. This is to protect your loyalty discount and to make sure we don't cut off your access to findmypast. You can easily turn off continuous membership at any time from the 'my account' area – we don't make you call us or do anything else horrible. If you do not cancel the continuous membership within five days of the expiry date, we will automatically renew your subscription and will take the next payment two to three days before your current subscription ends. We will send you an email before we do this. You must opt out of the continuous membership before the expiry date if you do not want your subscription to automatically renew, and we cannot provide refunds for a continuous membership subscription which has been renewed in this way. If you do cancel and your subscription expires, you'll no longer get your loyalty discount.
      Cancellation and your right to a refund
      : If you buy a subscription or PayAsYouGo credits, you can contact us and cancel within seven days of receipt of our confirmation email and we will happily give you a full refund as long as you have not viewed any records. Sorry that we're strict about this, but you can use a Free Trial to see what the service is likebefore you decide to buy.
      Last edited by JudithM; 28-06-13, 16:55. Reason: spelling correction
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I've previously subscribed to Ancestry, and they have no problem at all if you wish to cancell. In retrospect I also find that Site more user friendly.

I've been finding the FMP Site increasingly frustrating, in particular the main search facility. It is very annoying to get a NIL result when you know for certain that a record exists!

Having read through the terms and conditions again, I can see that I'm stuck with it, but it annoys me intensely that they won't help if you are stuck with a particular record. Ancestry do at least try with problems like that. Whereas I've just had a reply back from FMP saying that they 'don't undertake paid research', - when that's not what I was asking for:-(

Holly.

Comment

Have to say that I don't have a problem with the FMP search - it's certainly better than the "new search" on Ancestry!

Holly, if you are stuck on a particular record post up some details and we can see if we can help.
          Elaine

Comment

I have found Ancestry to be the one that can't find records I know exist, mainly because the transcription is much less accurate than FMP. FMP search is much 'tighter' than Ancestry, so it often pays to put less terms in, whereas Ancestry works better the more information you have. It is a bit swings and roundabouts really.

However I have an Ancestry subscription rather than FMP as Ancestry have more of the data sets I am interested in at the moment, plus I can always buy a few pay-as-you go credits for the odd record I might need on FMP.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Have to say that I don't have a problem with the FMP search - it's certainly better than the "new search" on Ancestry!
              Holly, if you are stuck on a particular record post up some details and we can see if we can help.
              Elaine,

I've Posted about it on here before, & people looked, but it seemingly couldn't be found.

It's my longstanding brickwall for my Grandfather, William James Wilson, (1860-1937). I've tried everything that I can think of, - but I'm completely unable to find him prior to his Marriage in Swansea on the 22nd June 1893:-(

He's on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Wales, and on both of them he says he was born in Manchester, Lancs. - but he's not there. I can't tell you how many Wilson Census entries I have waded through... I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I don't know what else to try:-(

I was hoping that the FMP helpline would be able to offer some advice, but it seems not.

Holly.

Comment

I am surprised you are having so much trouble with FMP, are you maybe using too many details in your seach?

Comment

Do you know his parents names ? and fathers occ

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    Do you know his parents names ? and fathers occ
                    On his Marriage Cert, (in June 1893) he gives his father as 'William Wilson, (Deceased) Occupation: Mason'. My Grandfather's Occupation is: '.House Painter'

The Witnesses are the Bride's Father and Sister.

FMP gives a NIL result for William James Wilson, - which is strange because there seem to have been rather a lot of them.

Holly.

Comment

in 1881 there is a Alexander Wilson born abt 1828 in Kirby Lonsdale Yorkshire a Mason with a son William born abt 1863 in Blackburn Lancashire a Painter
                      RG11 piece 4197 folio 31 page 20
                      Last edited by Guest; 28-06-13, 17:59.

Comment

There is also a death for a Alexander Wilson in 1882 in Toxteth Park Lancashire age 51

Comment

You said in your first post that the records you want weren't on FMP even though you know they exist but in this case it seems we don't know that a record for this man prior to his marriage exists, at least not with the details he gives at marriage and on later censuses. Nil results could be because he wasn't truthful about his age in later censuses, or he was illegitimate and made up a father's name., or he adopted the middle name James as an adult, or he was originally James William and later changed the order of his names, or his mother remarried and he was listed under his stepfather's surname in earlier censuses , or............... Lots of other scenarios could explain the problem, but it doesn't seem to lie with FMP in this case as he doesn't immediately spring out of searches on Ancestry or Freebmd either.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I've looked art this family before.

I agree it looks promising. However, on the #1911 census it becomes clear that it's not my Grandfather.

Holly.

Comment

I wasn't just referring to this record Judith.

Obviously I have looked for records that I know do exist.

Holly.
                              Last edited by Holly; 28-06-13, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post

FMP gives a NIL result for William James Wilson, - which is strange because there seem to have been rather a lot of them.

One thing I would suggest, regardless of whether you are using FMP or Ancestry, is to avoid including a second name on your search.
                                If you look at census records, apart from the 1911 census, you rarely see a second name included on the census return.
                                Therefore if you search for William JAMES Wilson - and it is recorded as William Wilson or William J Wilson, then you will get a NIL return.
                                Elaine

Comment

Good point Elaine.

I agree that FMP is more 'literal' than Ancestry, - & so if your Search diverges even minimally, it won't show.

The Record that I've put up isn't perhaps a good illustration of the point that I was making. (Records that I know to exist not showing up, I mean.) I've posted it because it is my longest standing dead-end! (But I can trawl up others when I'm back at home & not on this titchy tablet!)

Holly.

Comment

maybe you can put a record on here which you do know exists but cannot find on FMP ,be interested to see them.

Comment

I couldn't find a "William" in census the other day. I found him eventually, after searching for his wife - the reason I couldn't find him through my original search was because he had been recorded with just the initial "W." The only times I have been able to find someone on Ancestry and NOT on FMP is for some East Yorkshire residents, where FMP has missed a whole piece off their 1851 database. I am very disappointed about this and about their very poor attitude - I reported the omission about 2 years ago and was asked to be patient. I asked again a year ago and finally for a third time a couple of weeks ago. It still hasn't been dealt with. I haven't decided where I go from here - I have told support that I am very inconvenienced as I do village studies and the problem affects 5 of the villages I look at, thus preventing me from getting on with my task. This is the third year I am not being provided with the service I am paying for and I think that's pretty poor. (Sorry, rant over - does anyone know how I get further up the FMP chain of command?)
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-06-13, 20:21.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Janet,

Findmypast.co.uk is part of brightsolid online publishing ltd. Publishers DC Thomson own brightsolid.

And so perhaps contacting DC Thomson might get you more of a result.

Holly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X