Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever get conflicting information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever get conflicting information?

I really hate it.

I was doing some research and came across an article on trove.com, I found a marriage notice
    Kingsmill John Dobson, to Amy Rebecca Cox 1881

I also found a death notice for Kingsmill Dobson, saying he was the husband of Amy Cox and Amy was from the famous pioneering cox family.
    Which made me do some more research. I found out that Amy came from William Cox the guy who built the first road over the blue mountains.

Recently I decided to do a search on the BDM's site and couldn't find any of this information.

I found a marriage for Kingsmill Dobson and Amy Rebecca Cose, but can't find a birth record for a Amy Rebecca Cose.
    I found a marriage record for Amy to a John D Kingermill, and on ancestry it's listed as Jno D Kingermill
    I found 0 records for any births with the last name Kingermill

All newspaper articles show that Kingsmill John Dobson married Amy Rebecca cox who was a descendant of William Cox - road builder
    but I am unable to find any actual records with the same names.

Do you think that the record of "marriage for Kingsmill Dobson and Amy Rebecca Cose" is a typo and it's supposed to be cox, not cose ?

Do you have a newspaper article from the time saying Amy was the daughter of the road builder? Or are the articles from much later when someone could "embellish" the story?

Comment

The Dobson/ Cose marriage is 1880. Was the Trove article early in 1881? I wouldn't worry much about Cose/ Cox. You'd need the cert to see what it is.

You could ring the office and ask. I've done that. If they think you might buy the cert anyway. I think sometimes they like to do something different to serving rude customers...lol
      Last edited by Harrys mum; 28-06-13, 12:34.

Comment

The NSW BDMs have the marriage in 1880, but also another for Kingsmill J Dobson to Minnie M Taylor in 1908. I can't find a death for Amy. I thought it might be their eldest son, but can't find a birth for a Kingsmill Dobson.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
          The NSW BDMs have the marriage in 1880, but also another for Kingsmill J Dobson to Minnie M Taylor in 1908. I can't find a death for Amy. I thought it might be their eldest son, but can't find a birth for a Kingsmill Dobson.
          Kingsmill J Dobson is Kingsmill Joseph Dobson, he is the son of Kingsmill John and Amy Rebecca.

Comment

The Sydney Morning Herald 1 January 1881

DOBSON-COX.June 6, at Sydney, by the Rev. Dr. Fullerton, Kingsmill John Dobson, to Amy Rebecca Cox.

Comment

I can't find the article with the road builder information, maybe I read it some where else.

Comment

From ancestry

Amy Rebecca Cox (1852 - 1932)

Found 10 Records, 10 Photos and 4,398,064 Family Trees

Born in Wybong, New South Wales, Australia on 23 Dec 1852 to William Hobart Cox and Eliza Iselton. Amy Rebecca married Kingsmill John Dobson. She passed away on 21 Apr 1932 in Lakemba, Sydney, Australia.

Comment

Do you have the marriage cert? It should have Amy's father's occupation and you will be able to make sure it's Cox. You need the cert anyway to double check. You must always have a couple of sources and at least one primary source. Some people say three primary sources but sometimes that is not possible.

Comment

I would think that Amy was more likely a grand-daughter of William Cox the road builder than a daughter, given that he was an adult in 1813 and she was not born until 1852 !

If I remember rightly, on WDYTYA, actor Jason Donovan discovered that he is a descendent of William Cox, so you might be able to find some information by looking for information on that episode.

From Ancestry:

William Hobart Cox (1814 - 1883),
                    Born in Hobartville on 3 Dec 1814 to William Cox (1789-1837) and Elizabeth Piper. William Hobart Cox married Eliza Iselton/Islington and had 8 children. He passed away on 4 Jul 1883 in Muswellbrook, New South Wales, Australia.

William Cox, road builder, was the father of William Hobart Cox, according to many websites.
                    Last edited by dicole; 29-06-13, 00:32. Reason: more info
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Link to Amy's death notice in the SMH

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...searchTerm=amy dobson&searchLimits=l-decade=193|||l-title=35

DOBSON-April 21 1932 at her residence Sylvester-avenue Lakemba, Amy Rebecca widow of the late Kingsmill J Dobson and dearly loved mother of Henry C King Violet Doris and Marie aged 79 years.

No mention of Kingsmill Joseph Dobson, I see !
                      Last edited by dicole; 29-06-13, 00:43.
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

That makes sense about being a grandfather.

In that notice Diane, could "King" be a shortened Kingsmill or is Henry C King one person?

Comment

Yeah William cox the road builder is not her father. She is a descendant from him.

William cox (road builder) 1764 - 1837
                          His son - William cox - 1789 - 1850
                          His son - William H cox - 1814 - 1883
                          His daughter - Amy cox - 1852 - 1932

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...searchTerm=amy dobson&searchLimits=l-decade=193|||l-title=35

DOBSON-April 21 1932 at her residence Sylvester-avenue Lakemba, Amy Rebecca widow of the late Kingsmill J Dobson and dearly loved mother of Henry C King Violet Doris and Marie aged 79 years.

"King" is Kingsmill

He was well know around the Penrith area and had the nickname King

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                              That makes sense about being a grandfather.

In that notice Diane, could "King" be a shortened Kingsmill or is Henry C King one person?
                              Yes thats right King is Kingsmill

Comment

She is the widow of the late Kingsmill J Dobson ( Kingsmill John)
                                Kingsmill Joseph is their son.

So this article shows that a Amy Rebecca Cox married Kingsmill J Dobson

Comment

Here is Kingsmill Obituary noticeKingsmill J Dobson obituary Nepean Times 1961.jpg

OBITUARY
                                  MR, K. J, DOBSON
                                  A Penrith descendant of the famous pioneering: Cox family died in Penrith recently,

He was Kingsmill Joseph Dobson, popularly known in Penrith as "King". His mother was a Miss Cox before her marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanne View Post
                                    Here is Kingsmill Obituary notice[ATTACH=CONFIG]16836[/ATTACH]

OBITUARY
                                    MR, K. J, DOBSON
                                    A Penrith descendant of the famous pioneering: Cox family died in Penrith recently,

He was Kingsmill Joseph Dobson, popularly known in Penrith as "King". His mother was a Miss Cox before her marriage.
                                    Maybe it should have read "Henry C, King, Violet, Doris and Marie"
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Maybe it should have read "Henry C, King, Violet, Doris and Marie"
                                      If you zoom in on the article it does read like that

Comment

Working...
                                      X