Taylor from Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor from Scotland

I'm trying to trace the Taylor side of my family.

My dad was born in **** in Scotland and came to Australia in abt 1960

His parents names are William Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor (nee Raeburn) William was born **** and Elizabeth was born ****
    I don't know any marriage details, I don't know where they lived. I don't have any other details for them.
    My dad once told me he fell down the hill at Edinburgh castle, not sure if he was just telling stories.
    William had a brother named Alex Taylor and Elizabeth had a sister named Mary Raeburn.
    Alex and Mary got married apparently Alex and Mary came to Australia first and then William and Elizabeth came over after them.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:55.

Looking on Scotland's People, there is a William Taylor married Elizabeth Raeburn in 1938 , marriage registered in Leith, Edinburgh. It seems an early marriage for a child born in ****...did your dad have many older siblings? If this looks like a possible marriage, I have a few credits I can use to look at the image of the marriage cert ....otherwise you can buy credits yourself (I think it is £7.00 per 30 credits these days) and it will cost one credit for the initial search, five more to download the image.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:55.

Beverley

Comment

William and Elizabeth's children :

William - Don't know year of birth or birth order
      E - 1939
      M - 1950
      D- 1956
      M - 1959

If anyone can possibly help Leanne, it would have to be via PM [Private Message] as these children are very likely still living.
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:46. Reason: [post edited to remove the names]

Comment

If I was to find a marriage certificate there is no real way I could confirm it's them because I don't their parents names.

Comment

Apologies for that Leanne. Given those birthdates, it certainly looks like that could be the marriage you need, but the site says there is no image available and according to the site info, it will cost £12.00 to order the extract from the Scottish G.R.O. I'll have another look to see if his brother Alex's marriage is available to view....if so, there should be the same info regarding parents, especially if he married Elizabeth's sister.

Beverley

Comment

It looks like there will be no short cuts here....those births are listed on SP but because of a 100 year ruling, the images aren't available and you will have to order the extracts. Normally, you would begin with your dad's birth cert, then get his parents' marriage cert which will give you enough information to get back to your dad's grandparents. There was only the one marriage between a William Taylor and Elizabeth Raeburn listed in the relevant time frame and it was in Edinburgh....where the children's births occurred...so it is pretty likely it is the correct marriage.

Beverley

Comment

Thank you for your help, I always thought his brothers name was Alec and my brother added it to our tree as Alec but my Aunty told me that his name was Alex.

I thought all information was on ancestry, thats why I got a world membership :(

Comment

I don't know if the births occurred in Edinburgh, I don't even know if they lived there. All I know is my dad visited Edinburgh castle when was about 8 and fell down the hill and hurt his leg.

Can I get the certificate online or will they have to post it to me ?

I can't even find William and Elizabeth on the Australian Electoral Roll.

Comment

Ancestry certainly carries a lot of data, but the Scottish info is almost exclusively on SP. There are census transcriptions, but they are poorly done. I will continue to forage around and see if I can narrow the search in any way. I am looking on the Australian Archives site ( http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/ )at the moment to see if I can find the arrival in Australia....do you know if they came by ship or plane?

It might be worth looking through Trove (http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper) as well, as notices in the papers can give very useful clues. Both these sites are free.

From what I can see on SP, you can order online but the cert will be posted to you
                  Last edited by Macbev; 28-06-13, 02:29.

Beverley

Comment

Pretty sure they came over by ship in abt 1960
                    I have done a few searches on trove but haven't been able to find anything.
                    I'm not sure if the names have been changed only because my dad once told that his name used to be G M but he hated it so changed it to M G ( I've never seen his birth cert so I'm not sure)
                    My brothers middle name is G, and my other brothers middle name is W.
                    So I'm thinking my grandfather was either W G Taylor or G W Taylor.
                    Apparently they first lived in Kingsgrove NSW when they arrived in Australia.
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:47.

Comment

In that case, there is a G M T listed on SP, born ****, registered in the CANONGATE AND PORTOBELLO district of Edinburgh. Once again, I can't get an image for you and the cert will have to be ordered. There is also a D T registered in the same district....so it look to me as though the family came from Edinburgh.

I haven't found a marriage for an Alec/Alex/Alexander Taylor to a Mary Raeburn however. Any idea how old Alex was?
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:48.

Beverley

Comment

Found the passenger list with your family....... 1960 on the 'Fairsea'. The family had been living at 126 Walter Scott Ave, Inch, Edinburgh. William was a factory worker. With him was wife Elizabeth and children E (b.39);W (b.40); R T. (b.48);G M. (b.50)D (b.56) M (b.59)

Ammended: W, b. 47 (might be 41....hard to read)

Wonder if W. Snr was away at the war?
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:50.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                          Found the passenger list with your family....... 1960 on the 'Fairsea'. The family had been living at 126 Walter Scott Ave, Inch, Edinburgh. William was a factory worker. With him was wife E and children E (b.39);W (b.40); R T. (b.48);G. M. (b.50)D (b.56) M (b.59)

Ammended: W, b. 47 (might be 41....hard to read)

Wonder if W. Snr was away at the war?
                          Oh yes 'R' I forgot him when listing the children
                          G. M - was b. 50 Do you think the record could have made a mistake when writing his bday ?
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                            I haven't found a marriage for an Alec/Alex/Alexander Taylor to a Mary Raeburn however. Any idea how old Alex was?
                            No sorry I don't have any other information, but I think Alex was the older brother.
                            Is there an option to search for marriages between Taylor and Raeburn.

It's ok if you can't find it, it's not that important to me I am so happy about the ship record I was starting to think there was something sus going on because no one knows anything. My dad and his siblings do not know their grandparents names, they don't know their parents marriage details, they don't even know where they were married.
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanne View Post
                              Oh yes 'R' I forgot him when listing the children
                              G M - was b. 50 Do you think the record could have made a mistake when writing his bday ?
                              Sorry - my error. His birthdate was entered as 50. It was quite clear when I zoomed in on the screen. Now that I have taken a fresh look, I think W. was b. 41, not 47. That is still quite a gap between W and R.

Children quite commonly don't ask for the real name of their grandparents....they may just call them 'Nana' or 'Grandma'....and don't think to ask about anything else. Your dad would have been separated from his grandparents when he was quite young and may not have thought to ask the important questions until it was too late. I know I used to quiz my dad about his Irish parents and got very little real satisfaction...not even a birthplace and I have only just recently located the family after looking for about thirty years. :(

However, if you can get the certs from SP they may give you a lot of information.....I have found Scottish records to be extremely informative and much better than English ones.
                              Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:57.

Beverley

Comment

Is there an option to search for marriages between Taylor and Raeburn.
                                I did that, but only found William and Elizabeth. of course, Alex/Alec and Mary may have married earlier than I was looking....might have another go

Beverley

Comment

If he is born 41 then there is a 7 year gap between W and R. There is a 6 year gap between G M and D.
                                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:58.

Comment

If you google 126 Walter Scott Avenue Edinburgh, you can see the street your dad lived in before they emigrated.

Beverley

Comment

leanne, your father's birth place and age, should be on your birth certitificate. and you should be able to get a copy of your parents marriage certificate.

Comment

Thanks for the tip
                                        I just checked my birth certificate - My dad was born in Edinburgh Scotland.
                                        His name on there is G M but it's spelt m***** not sure if that's how it was spelt or if it's a typo.
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-06-13, 14:58.

Comment

Working...
                                        X