Who are Margaret A's parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are Margaret A's parents?

Can anyone solve a mystery and find this girl's birth and who her parents please and also what happened to her?

Here she is in the 1891 census in Broughton, Ashton on Ribble, Preston

Margaret A Norman? age 6 born Lewes? Broughton, Lancs - birth registration not found

with parents Frank Norman b1862 Oadby, Leics - general labourer
    and
    Annie Norman b 1860 Ireland

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1891&indiv=try&h=22211464

Now Frank & Annie didn't marry until 31 May 1891 in Broughton and Annie's maiden name was given as Bresland.
    So far I haven't been able to find a Margaret A Norman or a Margaret A Bresland being born in Lancashire. Could it be that Annie was married before and this child is the result of another relationship and registered under her father's name.

The place given on the census as place of birth is Lewes Broughton or perhaps Lower Broughton but is that in Ashton on Ribble or perhaps Manchester?

Then in the 1901 census - I can't find Margaret at all

This is Frank living with a Sarah Ashby using her surname and with her children and their son Frank Norman junior born 1898. He later marries Sarah in 1906 in Droylesden, Manchester. Frank dies in 1908 in Moston, Manchester.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Annie meanwhile is living in Burnley with her husband? James Andrews and baby son James born 28 Feb 1901. No marriage found.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

In the 1911 census Annie is a widow living in Salford with her son and gives her place of birth as Co Fermanagh. She dies in Salford in 1915.

So I really need to find Margaret's birth and what happened to her to determine who her parent's were which might help find where Annie was in 1881 and where else to start searching. Frank was living with his parents in Oadby in Leicester in the 1881 census.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JBee; 26-06-13, 13:56.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

I cant find a birth of a Margaret Norman or Bresland on lancs bmd or on lancs on line parish clerk. but the latter has the marriage in 1891 and says Annie is a spinster not a widow.

Margaret may be daughter of Annie or indeed of Frank by a previous relationship or the child of both of them.

Sorry not much help to you
    Angelina

Comment

Thanks for trying Angelina.

I couldn't find anything either registered in Frank's or Annie's surnames.

I only have the remarriage of Frank and he said he was a batchelor!! lol and at the time he was still married to Annie. - unless there was a divorce!!!

Currently trawling the deaths as I can't find Margaret in 1901 to see if I can find a death before 1901 which ties in with a birth in 1884/5.

It doesn't look like Frank and Ann had any children with each other.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

there is a Margaret Norman born in Liverpool Lancs Dec 1887 8b 145 bearing in mind middle names weren't always registered.

Comment

according to the 1891 cencus on FMP she was born in Lower Broughton Lancs

Comment

a bit of a long shot but there is a Margaret Norman born abt 1889 and a Ann Norman born abt 1894 both in Liverpool Lancs in the Kirkdale Industrial school as pauper inmates ?
            http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/78...l=ReturnRecord

Comment

Thanks Val I have been trawling Preston and Salford as there's Broughton's in both districts.. I think the one born in Liverpool is with her parents in 1901 census in Liverpool. Margaret was 6 in 1891 so would be 16 in 1901 but I can't see anyone of that name born in Broughton. As both Frank and Ann ended up in Manchester I did wonder if that's the Broughton she was born in. The ones in the industrial school are a bit young I think to be Margaret and a possible sister.

Comment

seems odd she isn't with either parent in 1901 ? I'll have a look for a Manchester born Margaret then.

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1901&indiv=1 wondering if there is any connection. Born Lower Broughton. Not seeing a Margaret A Cosgrove in 1891. There is a birth on Lancs BMD for Broughton/Salford for Cosgrove, Margaret A 1885. BRO/43/17. No maiden name. Vera

Comment

That sounds promising Vera - will have a dig around and see what I can find.

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=22596673 This could be the Margaret of 1901. Housekeeper. According to Lancs BMD both children with mother's maiden name Cosgrove and first child, Thomas, born Burnley, Lancs. Vera

Comment

I've bit the bullet and sent for Margaret A Cosgrove's birth certificate in Salford in Jun qtr 1885 as place of birth is given in 1901 census as Lower Broughton the same as Margaret A Norman in the 1891 census.

The more I look at it the more likely it seems to be right. I have Annie living in Burnley in 1901 census and in Salford in the 1911 census so if Margaret had a son in 1904 in Burnley it could well be at her mother's. Fingers crossed.

Comment

and toes. Hope you get a result. Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 27-06-13, 13:03.

Comment

Thanks Vera, Val and Angelina - yes fingers and toes very crossed!!!

Comment

that birth in 1885 is registered on FMP as a Margaret Annie Cosgrove ? so hopefully it is the right one.

Comment

wonder if this is Annie in 1881? as Annie Cosgrove

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...l=ReturnRecord

Comment

Thanks Val - I hope it isn't as I need her to be Annie Bresland/Breslin daughter of James.

Comment

leave me alone JBee she hadn't been born yet had she ?

Comment

It's ok Val.

I thought you were talking about Margaret's mother Annie BC1860 in Ireland.

Anyway I'm now impatiently waiting for the birth certificate of Margaret A to see if it's the right one - possibly end of next week.

Comment

I hate waiting

Comment

Working...
                                        X