Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here

Hi my name is Leanne and I am new here.
    I apologise if this is in the wrong area. I've hit a brick wall with my family tree and I'm not sure what to do now.

I have a marriage certificate for the person I am looking for but he doesn't have any parents listed. He has his age and his country of origin and thats it.
    I have found him in a few other family trees online but they all have the same information I have.
    His name is a little bit different on his marriage cert compared to the birth certificate of his first child.

Hi Leanne, welcome to the forum.

I am going to move your thread into our Family History research forum where hopefully some of the members can help.

If the person you are referring to is still alive, then please don't post any details on the open forum. If members think they can help they will send you a PM (personal message) and you can pass on all the details in that way.

If the person you are referring to is deceased, then why not give us some names and dates and we will see what we come up with.
    Elaine

Comment

I assumed he is dead. I think he was born around 1860.
      His marriage cert is dated 7th August 1884 and it says he is 25 born in France. His name is Adolphe Normand laborer from field of mars, he married Elizabeth M Ketley she is listed as 17. His parents aren't listed on it. Married at Church of St Anne's Ryde NSW Australia. Noted on the cert "This marriage was dissolved by decree of the supreme court 1894"

On his daughters (Frances Catherine Norman 1884-1965) birth certificate his name is Adolphus Norman 25 from france .
      On the birth cert her name is Francis but on the BDM website index her name is Frances

They had another child Neville Dundas Norman 1887 - 1925. I don't have a birth certificate for him.

On one family tree I noticed that had a ship record for him from the "Sorata" but I can't confirm if it really is him because the listing just shows " A Norman" it has no first name, and I'm thinking if his marriage certificate shows Normand, then wouldn't his ship record be in Normand ?

Comment

Sorry I couldn't see how to edit my post.
        I just checked and the Sorata ship record is dated 11th August 1884, but he was married here on 7th August 1884 so I am pretty certain it isn't his record.

Comment

For what it is worth, here's the divorce case announcement (under the headline: decrees absolute)
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
            For what it is worth, here's the divorce case announcement (under the headline: decrees absolute)
            http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...nore*|*ignore*
            Thank you The part where it says with custody of children after his name does that mean he had custody ?

Comment

I would assume that field of mars was "Champ du Mars" which is the area that is now just underneath the Eiffel tower in Paris, so maybe see if you can find any Parisian records.
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by Leanne View Post
                Thank you The part where it says with custody of children after his name does that mean he had custody ?
                That's the way I read it.

It may be worth searching for Norman Adolphe. There are several articles on Trove which refer to a Frenchman by this name AND living in Ryde (which you mention above). He's getting up to all sorts of mischief.
                try this search:
                Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

DECREES ABSOLUTE
                  Decrees nisi were made absolute in the following causes

Does anyone know what these words mean. I'm pretty sure it means divorce and I looked it up and it seems to mean that if 2 people had been separated for a while the marriage was officially ended. I know Elizabeth married again so I curious to know if she got the divorce so she could marry again, or if the marriage was ended before that could it have been because Adolphe had died?
                  I don't know if he ever married again, I can't find anymore records for him.
                  I did find a death record for an Adolphus Norman from Newtown but father in law says it's a different Adolphus, but it's only death record in Australia for Adolphus Norman and there is no death record for Adolphe Normand. So I'm thinking he either changed his name or he moved to another country before he died.

Comment

That's the way I read it.

It may be worth searching for Norman Adolphe. There are several articles on Trove which refer to a Frenchman by this name AND living in Ryde (which you mention above). He's getting up to all sorts of mischief.
                    try this search:
                    http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/re...man+Adolphe%22
                    Thank you, I was searching for Adolphus Norman and Adolphe Normand. I didn't think to try Adolphe Norman,

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                      I would assume that field of mars was "Champ du Mars" which is the area that is now just underneath the Eiffel tower in Paris, so maybe see if you can find any Parisian records.
                      Sorry Field of Mars NSW Australia

Comment

It is possible that she may have married again. See this newspaper article which mentions her full name and Ryde. You would need to research this further.
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

I've found some for a Norman Adolphe, but I think it's a different person and not Adolphe Norman

Comment

It is possible that she may have married again. See this newspaper article which mentions her full name and Ryde. You would need to research this further.
                            http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...nore*|*ignore*
                            Thank you, Yes she did marry again, I have all the details of her new marriage. I am more focusing on Adolphe / Adolphus

Comment

Sorry Field of Mars NSW Australia

Ooh -how come I've never heard of it when I used to live just down the road at Chatswood! :o
                              Linda

Comment

Ooh -how come I've never heard of it when I used to live just down the road at Chatswood! :o
                                Oh sorry, I'll check my records

Comment

Oh sorry, I'll check my records
                                  NSW marriage record

usual place of residence - Field of Mars is listed for bride and groom
                                  Birth place - groom - france, bride - Pennant Hills

I done a search and could only field field of mars reserve and field of mars cemetery.

Further search, I found this
                                  On the 3rd January 1792, the first land in the Ryde area was granted to eight marines, along the northern bank of the river between Sydney and Parramatta. The area was named by Governor Phillip the 'Field of Mars', Mars being the ancient God of war, named to reflect the military association with these new settlers.

The Field of Mars Common, an area of approximately 5,050 acres located north of the Field of Mars and the Eastern Farms, covered most of the Ryde municipality. The village itself comprised only a modest scattering of houses in a few streets around the church, surrounded by farms, orchards and some large estates. Nevertheless the name was well-established by 12 November 1870 when the Municipal district of Ryde was officially proclaimed.

Comment

Oh Leanne, I wasn't doubting you! It's been years since I lived in Oz, and I'm sure I've forgotten more than I remember!

do you have Ancestry - there's quite a few entries for him in the australian Criminal records, including a photo and description. He was only 5 foot 1 1/2 inches. It says he arrived in Australia on the Alexander in 1868.

Here is the link to the page http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...ssrc=&pid=3221

Let me know if you don't have Ancestry and I'll forward more info to you.
                                    Last edited by ozgirl; 26-06-13, 15:23.
                                    Linda

Comment

Thank you so much for your help.
                                      That says Norman Adolphe, do you think that would be the same person ?

What does that first conviction say - Is it wife desertion ?

Comment

Also it looks like it says native place franuel ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X