Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

medal rolls index,1914-1920, how to find out more info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medal rolls index,1914-1920, how to find out more info?

Hello, I am trying to find out more about my grandfather 1889-1961, I have found his name on the medal rolls index,1914-1920, but this is all I can find out, apart from regiment and his number, I would like to get a better idea what he did where he went, Also this may confirm that I have the right person! as my sister says he was never in the military, any suggestions? thank you

Have you checked on Ancestry to see if his WW1 service/pension records are available?
    If you want to give some info - name, year/place of birth, regiment no. etc. I will take a look for you.
    Elaine

Comment

Primrose

Do you, or anyone in the family have medals left by your grandfather - they will have his regiment and service number engraved on them.

If you are lucky and can find a service record or pension record on Ancestry they will usually contain the name of a parent/wife or other next of kin which will confirm you have the right man. Sadly many service records don't survive, and many soldiers didn't qualify for a pension. If he was an officer - their service records do mostly survive (at Kew)

The Medal Rolls Index is exactly what it says....ie. an index . Next to the mention of each medal you will see a long reference number. They vary from regiment to regiment but will be something like:
      RAMC/4A 267

Using that number you can look up the entry in the medal roll itself, which is just a big register of everyone in a particular regiment who qualified for the issue of a medal - and usually that will tell you the Battalion (or unit) your grandfather served in. Once you know that , you can look up the War Diary for the battalion and that will give a day by day account of the places the battalion was stationed and what they were doing.

The war diaries are now starting to become available online through the National Archives website, but the medal rolls aren't at the moment. So you will have to go and look up the document, or get the TNA or a researcher to do it for you.
      Last edited by AntonyM; 23-06-13, 16:54.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Have you checked on Ancestry to see if his WW1 service/pension records are available?
        If you want to give some info - name, year/place of birth, regiment no. etc. I will take a look for you.
        Hello Elaine, thank you for your offer, my granddad was Philip Evernden, born 19/12/1889 London. lived Kingston upon Thames surrey most of his life, but I don't know dates for this. I have his regiment as First East Surrey, L\9533. That is all that I know. Thank you very much for helping, it would be great to find out if this is really him, I think it is, as there are no other Philip Evernden's that I have found so far...

Comment

Hello Antony M, thank you for your reply. I have very limited knowledge about him as I was born after he died. I will look up the war diary at the national archives as you suggest, Thank you very much for helping, this has been very useful.

Comment

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/24...l=ReturnRecord
            wonder if this is him ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              That certainly ties up with the medal index card .... the only possible issue is that he appears to have been 25 when discharged in 1917 , so born about 1892.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 25-06-13, 09:54.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Here's the only Philip Evernden coming up on ancestry http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=10131267
                born c1890 living with aunt and uncle in 1891.

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-06-13, 13:55.

Comment

Here's the same Philip again in 1901 but now showing as adopted http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=21529975 by the aunt and uncle.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                  X