Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non conformist Baptism for one child not all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non conformist Baptism for one child not all?

I'm a bit puzzled why would a family have one child a non conformist Baptism but the rest a normal one?

Even more confused now as have found a ordinary Baptism for the same child ?
    Last edited by Guest; 21-06-13, 21:43.

only a wild guess but maybe they needed an ordinary CofE baptism to get poor relief as nonconformist ones were not recognised by the parish?????
    Angelina

Comment

thanks Angelina for that

Comment

or they changed their mind? my ancestor was christened in the non conformist church, and when the next child was born, they were both baptised anglican. and so was the third and last child. i have no reasons for why they swapped, but i think in the north they were more flexible.

Comment

I have a family in Bedfordshire who temporarily went to the non conformist church when the parish church was closed for repairs/rebuilding; also a family in London who seemed to use whichever church was nearest to where they were living at the time regardless of denomination.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have village families who fluctuated between church and chapel - some children were bp for a second time, in line with the current denomination. If the vicar/minister looked back through the register to check, he wouldn't come across any former bp into the other denomination and I think they worked on a principle of "better safe than sorry." My gt-gt gdma & her twin sister were both bp at the parish church as infants. However, they moved to another parish as adults and were both bp for a second time in the church of that parish. (They were bp at separate times when adults, but bp of each mother was just before the bp of her first child. Perhaps each acted as a godmother to her own daughter?)
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for your replies I hadn't realised people chopped and changed like that.

Comment

I've wondered if there were missing church records (I have an ancestor who recorded that he was baptized at home, naming the minister & affiliated non-conformist church - but the baptism is not in the church's records). Also, I've wondered with some, if the boys were taken to C/E for baptism, but girls were not.

Comment

I am the youngest of six children in my family and my father and I are the only two Catholics in the family.

Linda
                  LindaG

Comment

certainly have given me something to think about thanks

Comment

Some families do change around, for various reasons - my mum is RC, my dad is CofE. They married in RC church, and that's where I was baptised. But my brother is CofE. My ex-husband's family was mixed the same way, with 2 children RC and the other 2 CofE. The only reason I can think in both cases is that it was a compromise our parents reached?
                      I also know a family where their son was baptised as CofE as a baby, and then re-baptised as RC when he was 3, in order to get him in to a Catholic school.
                      Darannon

Comment

I dont think me and my siblings were ever baptised or christened ? never thought about it,wonder if we were ? ummmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                        X