Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had a child exten'd

Hi,

I have a disc of old Parish Registers which contains BMD records.

Against some of the entries 'had a child exten'd' i.e. 29 May 1729 Thomas Asquith had a child exten'd named Samuel.

In the same register there are details of children christen'd, baptiz'd and buried. What does exten'd mean?

Ian

no idea but interested to know. unless it has something to do with a home baptism being received into the church.

Comment

Christened - the X or ex being a shorthand form of Christ (as often used nowadays - Xmas = Christmas)
      Last edited by JudithM; 21-06-13, 06:48.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

That's a thought Judith.

Looking at the register again perhaps different Vicar's or Curate's entered the records and one used his shorthand.

June 16 1729 John, son of Grace Idle, was xten'd
        June 22 1729 Wm Hodgson had a child christen'd, named Mary

The records have been transcribed and are typed so no original handwriting to confirm theory.

Ian

Comment

Possibly it was cxten'd rather than exten'd in the original? Any idea when the transcription was made and by whom?
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi
            You often see in baptism registers that a child that has been privately baptised, (possibly because it wasn't expected to live) is later received into the church. Could extended be another way of saying received?
            Moggie

Comment

I agree with Judith - exten'd is the Vicar's shorthand for christened. The e is spurious.

I have often seen the name Xopher at this time, short for Christopher.

OC

Comment

I agree with OC, in a lot of old handwritten records, especially 3 to 4 hundred years old

the letter X was used a lot as an abbreviation for the Christ part of christened, so it is more

than likely extended means christened.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Yes, I think Judith, OC and grumpy have hit the nail on the head, Vicar's shorthand.

For Janet's info. the registers were transcribed by George Denison Lumb FSA, Leeds 1916. From:- The Registers of the Chapels of the Parish of Leeds 1724-1763. The Chapels are St John's, Holy Trinity, Armley, Beeston, Bramley, Chapel-Allerton, Farnley, Holbeck and Hunslet.

For Moggie, private baptism's are also listed.

Thanks for all your replies,

Ian

Comment

ian,

ancestry has the west yorkshire parish records online. have you looked for the original images there?

Comment

Hi kj,

No I didn't check the WR Parish records on Ancestry prior to my post, it was the wording which intrigued me.

Having now had a look on Ancestry the record of Samuel Asquith isn't on there as the WR Parish records on Ancestry are by no means complete.

Ian

Comment

it's not indexed, or you looked throught the year he was christened in and the entry was not there?

Comment

Samuel's name doesn't appear in the index or in years around the christening date on Ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                          X