Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Living on own means"

Hi

what could this mean other than someone having actual cash at their disposal? I have a distant grandmother who has listed this in the 1891 census, but whose lifestyle prior to this certainly doesn't tell me she would have the funds available to do that. She wasn't married long to her husband, but on the 1881 census he is listed as an unemployed glass flint blower. They also lived in Byker in Newcastle, which was a very run down area
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

It usually is an indication of what they weren't doing rather than what they were ....i.e they were not in paid employment,nor self employed or receiving any parish relief. Other than that it could mean a huge range of things, from living on inherited wealth/investments to being supported by other family members - it is impossible to say from a single census entry.

It could also mean they were obtaining their income from some sort of illicit/illegal means that they would rather not disclose !
    Last edited by AntonyM; 18-06-13, 15:01.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

This happens quite a few times in my husband's family, it usually seems to be the 'grandmother' or an older family member and I've assumed that they could be doing little bits of housework or child minding in return for bed and board.
      Margaret

Comment

most of mine listed as such lived off inherited wealth, and others were pensioners, from the army usually. in 1851 i have an ancestor and her daughter as 'annuitant', while i can't remember what the husband's will had, i don't think he left a lot of money, so wonder if it is from something else.

Comment

Thanks all, I do think it is probably something very simple. I don't think it was something illegal, however if I had to live in those conditions in the 1890's I probably would have done all sorts!
          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Censuses in the UK in the late 19th century were used to calculate taxation and work out numbers of people in towns and cities; then the original data sheets were destroyed.
            However from April 1841 a census was taken for the whole of the UK every ten years. The data was analysed to give numbers of people, their ages and needs, then the original data was locked away from the public for 100 years. So as to protect private information and ensures people can give an honest answer to the census questions.

So bearing in mind the calculate tax bit it very possibly is a catch all for unemployed/ working for cash in hand/ living off family/ living off money inherited
            Foxyloxy

Comment

Foxyloxy

Universal income tax was not in force in the 19th century and for the working man or woman, cash in hand was the norm rather than the exception - taxation applied only to the middle classes and upwards, generally. There was no PAYE.

In my experience "living off own means" tended to mean either just that (i.e. savings) or, for my lot, "mind your own business, I manage".

OC

Comment

INCOME tax was introduced by William Pitt the Younger nearly 200 years ago to finance the struggle against Napoleonic France.
                Foxyloxy

Comment

Yes, indeed it was. It was intended to be a temporary measure, ha ha. Income tax was repealed several times, then reintroduced.

However, it only applied to unearned income and a small percentage of earned income over £300 (?) per annum. The working classes were largely unaffected and indeed it wasn't until about the late 1950s that most working class people paid income tax.

Census information wasn't intended to be a check on income tax, it was intended (originally) to work out how many men of fighting age and fitness the Empire could rely on and also to do a bit of social forward planning.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by foxyloxy View Post

However from April 1841 a census was taken for the whole of the UK every ten years. The data was analysed to give numbers of people, their ages and needs, then the original data was locked away from the public for 100 years. So as to protect private information and ensures people can give an honest answer to the census questions.

Please do not repeat this total myth.

The 1841 Census was not locked away for 100 years, the 100 year rule did not occur until 1966, a century and a quarter after the 1841 census was taken and over half a century after it was released to the general public.

The 1841 census was released after 70 years with the 1851 being released after 60 years.
                    In 1871 the census officials in London divulged the names and addresses of all children 3-13 and their parents to the London School Board to help enforce compulsory education.
                    Only six out of the 15 pre-1910 United Kingdom censuses have been closed for 100 years.
                    The details of nine out of 15 have been released after less than 90 years. (Source Hansard 29 March 2004).

Cheers
                    Guy
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                    X