ancestry trees....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ancestry trees....

ok so i am now onto researching my great grandads sister. ELSIE MAY FAIRBANK, father henry endersby lived in islington. on all of the ancestry trees it states her date of birth as 14th feb 1904 (even in mine at the minute) but when you search for the birth certificate i found elsie may endersby 1901 bedford,bedfordshire which is where her dad was born.http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...DBirth&indiv=1

somebody even has a birth certificate attached to there tree which states ELSIE MAY FAIRBANK which is her married name.

im thinking i am in fact right with the 1901 certificate and would like another opinion before i order the certificate. am i barking up the wrong tree or is it possible all those people have it wrong?

1911 census states she was born about 1904 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...dpidz0q257caid

thanks in advance.x

also she was married to benjamin james fairbank and remarried to herbert a tasker (i think) found death certificate for elsie may tasker and date of birth is 1904 12th feb?? seriously confused are these two different people?

Comment

On FreeBMD there is an Elsie May Endersby born March Quarter 1904 in Islington, who I think is more likely to be yours. Ref Islington 1b 214 Mar 1904.

That does tie in with the date given on the trees, but I think it's better to get the certificate to make sure.
      Last edited by ozgirl; 17-06-13, 20:44.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

ok thanks ill check it out.x

Comment

Ancestry have incorrectly indexed a huge number of birth records as 1915. They have been informed, but seem to be dragging their feet doing anything about it.

See here for further details....

Rick

Comment

why cant i see it on ancestry free bdm even when typing in the volume and reference number?x

Comment

Originally posted by jammin208 View Post
              why cant i see it on ancestry free bdm even when typing in the volume and reference number?x
              Because they have it as Q2, 1915 - along with over 800,000 other errors
              Rick

Comment

how do you know this? i looked at your above link. linda found it on free bdm and didnt mention the date being incorrect. i will look into it tho thanks

Comment

ive found it on ancestry as what you said 1915 so does that mean that on other sites they have the correct certificate?thanks

Comment

how do you know this? i looked at your above link. linda found it on free bdm and didnt mention the date being incorrect. i will look into it tho thanks
                    I've hit this problem many times and have reported it to Ancestry, as have others. The problem is described in detail in the article I linked to. There were around 800,000 births registered in 1915, but Ancestry list more than 1.6 million - twice as many. The original data on freebmd is correct and other sites like Findmypast match the freebmd results, so it's a problem with Ancestry's indexes.
                    Rick

Comment

ive found it on ancestry as what you said 1915 so does that mean that on other sites they have the correct certificate?thanks
                      Yes - if you want to order it from the GRO, then it is as Ozgirl stated above - Islington, march quarter 1904, volume 1b, page 214. Her place of birth on the 1911 says Holloway, which registers in Islington, so that look spot on.
                      Rick

Comment

so maybe ive gone to alot of hard work for nothing LIKE THOUSANDS OF OTHERS.paying monthly for a service which is unreliable. so you can see why i was confused when i couldnt find any proof for birth date glad i checked now. when i order my certificate i give them the volume and ref shown above by linda and my correct certificate should come? lol. and dont worry i dont order certificates through them TOO EXPENSIVE AND MAY RECIEVE A WRONG CERTIFICATE

Comment

It took me a while to work out what was wrong too. I've got a dozen or more examples and I logged a fault with Ancestry, but I just couldn't get them to see it was a wider problem. They just wanted to correct individual errors and wanted a link to the original image to take it further. Of course, if you click on their incorrect link then it doesn't take you to any image so it makes it pretty much impossible to get them to take it forward.
                          Rick

Comment

thats another reason why i didnt move on if you havent proof of things you can never really move on anywhere in you tree

Comment

so maybe ive gone to alot of hard work for nothing LIKE THOUSANDS OF OTHERS.paying monthly for a service which is unreliable. so you can see why i was confused when i couldnt find any proof for birth date glad i checked now. when i order my certificate i give them the volume and ref shown above by linda and my correct certificate should come? lol. and dont worry i dont order certificates through them TOO EXPENSIVE AND MAY RECIEVE A WRONG CERTIFICATE
                              do you mean to order a cert from Ancestry?? I would never do that as they charge extortionate prices for a cert that costs roughly £9.25, [I think when I last looked they were charging £23.00 GBP for a cert.]

If I were ordering a Cert it would either be from the GRO at Southport OR a local Register Office.
                              Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-06-13, 07:42.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

always GRO :-) CERTIFICATE ORDERED :-)

Comment

just to update and thank everyone who helped with this. elsie may endersbys birth certificate arrived and was indeed the correct one. i have also emailed ancestry to let them know of there mistake :-)

Comment

brilliant really pleased for you

Comment

thankyou :-)

Comment

just came across this post (it is my first time using this site) I believe my great grandfather, Herbert Robert Fairbank, was Benjamin Fairbanks uncle and I was wondering if you had done any research on the Fairbank family or if that is just a sideline that you are not researching

thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X