Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed!

I am trying to find Roy Alexander Lawrence, born 07/05/1894 Kensington, on the 1901 census, but so far no joy. I have him on the 1911 census aged 17 living with his brother William,(aged 24) in North Kensington. I assumed I would find him on the 1901 with the rest of his family, but despite searching have not turned up any results. I may have overloked the entry, could someone have a look just in case I have please?
    Many thanks,
    Vonny.

Do you know where the parents are in 1901?
    Elaine

Comment

I am assuming they are in the Kensington area, I don't have their names so that is why I was hoping to find a family unit. His brother is the only clue at this stage, William Edward would have been born c.1887. I have also looked for him on the 1901, again I could have missed it. The surname is very common in London and that is probably why I could have missed it.
      I have found Roy Alexander's birth registration, so if all else fails I can send away for a certificate.
      Vonny.

Comment

Vonny, does your subscription give you access to the LMA parish records on Ancestry - I can see the baptisms there

Baptism for Roy Alexander - 27 May 1894
        Parents Charles and Mary
        Notting Hill Christ Church

There are quite a few other baptisms with parents Charles and Mary - just trying to see if they all belong to the same family.
        Elaine

Comment

This is William's marriage cert -
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Williams first marriage - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=3922233

Comment

I don't have a sunscription for ancestry, I use Find my Past, which also hasn't thrown up anything. Many thanks to everyone for looking.
              Is William's marriage cert. on free BMD?
              On the baptism is there any reference to Charles being a chimney sweep?
              Vonny.

Comment

Charles is a fishmonger on the wedding certs.

The first marriage is on Free BMD to Emma Cox on 5th August 1906. But the second one, on April 22nd 1909 to Alice Maud Carter had the wrong page number. You will find them both but under a different page.

Comment

This is way off field but in 1901 census there is a Roy H Lawrence at a St Cripians private school Eastbourne. Looking at the original it could possibly be Roy A.
                  But this boy was born in Camberley and aged 10, but a freebmd check only shows your Roy and one other born in 1900 in a birth search from 1885-1900

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 880; Folio: 16; Page: 23.

I assume you have the death record
                  Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

The baptism record for Roy Alexander gives a date of birth as 7 May 1894 - address at the time was 169 Wornington Road,
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, that is the correct date of birth which I have. I have his first marriage in 1919, this ended in divorce before 1954, he did re-marry and later divorced his second wife and then stayed single until his death, the date of which I don't have to hand but can find. It's the early years and particularly his parents I had been unable to confirm.
                      Vonny.

Comment

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/78...l=ReturnRecord There is this one but its a bit of a puzzler. Can't see Roy Alexander but some other things fit. Wonder about some of the first names not being correct. Vera Will transcribe. Must ask how I can get paras. Charles aged 36 b Marylebone, Fishmonger. Wife Emma aged 32 b Kensal Town. Charles aged 16 b Kensal Green, Fishmonger. Walter aged 14 b Barking, Fishmonger. Alfred aged 10 b North Kensington, as are Richard, 6, Phyllis 5 , William 4 and Bessie 2, Living 137 Wornington Road

Comment

I have been given the date of death for Charles Lawrence - father of Roy Alexander, as 3rd January 1937. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but it gives his year of birth as 1861. Can you verify that at all?
                          Vonny

Comment

The only death registration that I can see that would fit that date is this one:

Name: Charles Lawrence
                            Age at Death 76 yrs - therefore born c1861
                            Date of Registration of death: Jan-Feb-Mar 1937
                            Registration District - Tonbridge (Kent)
                            Volume: 2a
                            Page: 1572

It's impossible to say from this whether it is the right one unless you purchase the death certificate.
                            Elaine

Comment

It appears that the mother, Mary Frances Lawrence, died in 1904 .. which maybe why we are having trouble finding the family together in 1911!

Name: Mary Frances Lawrence
                              Age at death 40 years, therefore born abt 1864
                              Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1904
                              Registration District: Kensington (London)
                              Volume: 1a
                              Page: 96

Again, the death certificate would be the proof that this is the right person, but everything seems to fit with this one!

There is a tree on www.mundia.com which shows this family (apart from Roy Alexander)
                              Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

It shows the death for Mary Frances Lawrence in 1904, and also a second marriage for Charles Lawrence in 1933 - to Annie Jennings (1864 - 1950). ??
                              Elaine

Comment

Many thanks for that Elaine, it's something I hadn't thought of searching for! I need to find Roy Alexander in WW1. I have been told that he was a cpl in the 2nd London Regiment, no. 230589. On FMP, even though I put in a search for all military records I don't seem to find anything at all. Perhaps I am putting in too much or not enough or they might not even have a record?
                                I tried to log in on Mundia with my facebook account - I've forgotton the password - typical! I will try again.
                                Vonny.

Comment

His medal card is on Ancestry, although mistranscribed in the indexed as Rog Alexander Lawrence!
                                  It showed he enlisted 1 Sept 1914 and was discharged 8 Nov 1917.
                                  There don't appear to be any service records for him on Ancestry.
                                  Elaine

Comment

There are pension records.

He seems to have been shot in the head!

Poor bloke. No wonder he was excused further military service.
                                    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                                      There are pension records.
                                      Must have missed those!

Edit ... just found them - transcribed as Rog Alexandre Lawrence
                                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                      X