Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FamilySearch Centers - Are they worth visiting

Hi

I was wondering if the LDS Family Search Centers provide any more information than is available from their website. Since I currently have a bit of time on my hands I was wondering if it was worth the 40 mile round trip to the Plymouth Center and would I be able to see extra information that is not available from their website.

Thanks

D

Yes, absolutely but depending on what you want to see, you may have to order in films. they don't keep everything at every centre.

Most of my research has been done courtesy of my local LDS centre and I simply would not have got as far as I have without them. Nothing beats seeing the original records - transcriptions are only ever as good as the transcriber and there is still much more NOT transcribed as there is transcribed, lol.

OC

Comment

Take a look at the Latter Day Saints Family History Libraries page in the reference library - gives you some information as well as a link to their libraries so you can see what records are available.
      Elaine

Comment

So the records avaiable would be images of the original docs rather than the transcripts?

On the website then, when it says no image is availabe does this mean
        i) There is no image at all
        ii) No image has been made availble but may be available at a LDS center
        iii) either of the above.

D

Comment

Dermot - hi. You would see the actual image of the original doc (parish register, etc.)

Re. no image available - it simply means that the original record is not available directly rom the familysearch website. However, the record has a film number and you can order it as OC said above to see the whole film containing the record(s) you want
          Last edited by Bertie; 17-06-13, 15:50.

Comment

If you phone your local centre they can see if they have your areas of research without ordering them in, or if they have to order this can take a couple of weeks and they will notify you of their arrival and then you get a month to use them.....Edna

Comment

My local FHC is very good and helpful but I had to order in films to view. They have film and fiche readers as well as the computers to cover all the records.

The price of the films has gone up fairly recently but you get longer to view and can also extend the time if you haven't had a chance to trawl through. You order the films online to be sent to the local FHC you nominate. Check the catalogue on family search to see what records they have.

If you live fairly local to where you're researching they might hold some records in the FHC which you can access. When I first went I found I'd ordered films in for the same area as another person was researching so we were able to share the films.

You can also book an hour slot for the FHC "volunteer" not sure if that's the right term - to help you research especially if you're a newbie.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Besides what is indexed on familysearch.org, there are many films that have not been indexed. If you search the catalog, you may see films that interest you, that you can then order to view at your FHC. Guild records and wills come to mind, but there are many other examples.

Not sure but you may be able to access various online subscription databases at no cost to you, as well. Anyone else have experience with that?

Comment

You used to be able to access Ancestry but it's a while since I've been to my local FH Centre so I'm not sure.

The LDS has just about the largest family history library in the world. Do look at their catalogue, not just for church records but for much much more.

OC

Comment

I use the London LDS Family History Centre resources regularly, which at the moment are very conveniently housed within The National Archives at Kew.
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Another point - don't just turn up! These centres are all manned by volunteers and if they are sick/on holiday/whatever, the centre might not be open. Phone and make an appointment - phone numbers on their website.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X