Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Bishop c1810 - Brickwall as he doesn't know where he was born

Hi,

I first come across Charles Bishop (my husband's 2xgreat grandfather) when he marries at St. Nicolas, Brighton, Sussex on 8 September 1836. He states that he is a bachelor otp and marries Eliza Hornsberry (aka Elizabeth Hollingsbury) spinster otp. They both make their mark and the witnesses are Charles Denyer and William Shilley or Skilley.

Charles and Eliza go on to have 8 children all baptised at St. Nicolas between 1837 and 1855 viz. Maria, Charles, Martha, Thomas, Mary Ann, William, George and Margaret. Eliza's parents were James and Grace so no obvious naming pattern.

He is the perfect ancestor in that he appears in all the censuses between 1841 and his death in 1887 however he doesn't seem to know where he was born as all censuses show a different birthplace, although always Kent.

In 1841, living in Air Street, Brighton he states that he was not born in that county so not Sussex. His occupation is stated as Chair Maker which remains consistent in all remaining censuses in which he is either a Chair Maker or a Chair Bottomer.

The remaining census records show his birthplace as:
    1851 Kent - Audley
    1861 Kent - ?Pudsey
    1871 Kent - Widley
    1881 Kent - Tudley

Apart from 1841 when ages were rounded which produces a birthdate of 1811, the remaining census records indicate a birthdate of 1809 or 1810. He and his family are living in Brighton, where he dies, for all censuses apart from 1871 when he and his wife are found at Portsea in Hampshire?

I've searched the obvious Tudeley cum Capel registers and can find nothing verifiable.

Did Chair Makers/Bottomers have to be apprenticed?

Any ideas as to how I might locate a birth for Charles Bishop and thus break down this brickwall and take my husband's ancestry further back would be most appreciated.

Regards, Pheno

somebody has him in their Tree on Ancestry, says Parents were John Bishop born abt 1799 Kent and Joanna Haley born abt 1780 in Kent ,but I would be surprised if John could be born in 1799 as that would make him 11 when Charles was born .
    Also John Bishops Parents were William Bishop born abt 1740 and Elizabeth Mullet born abt 1750

Comment

another one has the same Parents but John is born 1779 in Tonbridge Kent Married to Joanna Haley 9 Apr 1803 in Tonbridge Kent

Comment

Thanks Val. Have checked these out and only one suggests 1799, the other trees show 1779 as birth of John Bishop which makes more sense but there are no source records to back any of this up and the tree owners last logged in 6 months to a year ago so not much chance of making any connection here.

To me this looks like taking an entry on familysearch and making it fit the scenario without any verifiable evidence and then other users copying and thus establishing the info. They may all be correct but I would like to find some solid evidence.

Thanks, Pheno

Comment

Sorry Val posted my reply at same time as your second post.

Comment

I did find one baptism for a Charles Bishop 9 Oct 1808 in Newenden Kent Parents Edward and Dinah ?

Comment

Yes I've pondered about that one but nothing concrete and nothing to link Newenden to any of the places Charles has listed as his birthplace on the census records. I feel I would be doing what I've more or less accused those with the Ancestry trees indicating John Bishop 1779 as the father appear to have done if I assume this is the appropriate entry.

Comment

have you tried familysearch ?

Comment

Charles Bishop of Newenden died same day as birth, Edward Bishop 17 November 1811 Newenden Kent, death 17 Nov 1811 parents Edward and Dinah
                  Charles Bishop 9 Oct 1808 Newenden Kent death 9 Oct 1808
                  Elizabeth Ann 22 June 1806 Parish Curch of Benenden, Kent
                  Joseph Bishop 7 May 1815 Newenden, Kent ........................Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna, thats the Newenden Charles Bishop ruled out then. Pheno

Comment

That was from Familysearch Pheno....Edna

Comment

Bishops in Brighton... I have them too !!

And if only I knew exactly where Benjamin Bishop was born, and when, things would be going a lot better.

Benjamin died in 1844, and the only indication I have is that yes, he was born in the county of Sussex (1841 census). But IS he the son of John and Elizabeth Bishop who was baptised in 1790 ? I would like to think so, but the ages dont match up very well with the rounded age of the 1841 census, or his burial (52y).

I too woud love to find apprenticeship or indenture or guild membership information, as Benjamin was a bricklayer.

Commiserations, I hope we can get some answers

Diane

If only I could be sure.......
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                        X