Hamilton: Twin sisters adopted separately in Belfast 1920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton: Twin sisters adopted separately in Belfast 1920

Researching into my maternal Grandmothers parents, she was adopted. Born Dorothy Hamilton Jan 1919, twin sister to Agnes, at the Belfast Midnight Mission, Malone Place, Newtownards, Co. Antrim, Ireland. They were adopted separately & didn't know the other existed until adulthood. Their mother was Mary Hamilton, father obviously unknown!!
    No matter how hard i try, i don't seem to be able to get anywhere with this one!!
    Any suggestions or help gladly recieved

Nic

Not sure what you are hoping to find? You seem to know the circumstances of their birth.

As legal adoption did not come into force until 1926 it will be pot luck whether any records exist...and whether anyone is allowed to access them.

I take it you have contacted the mission?

OC

Comment

I'm hoping to find Mary Hamilton....yes i have contacted the Mission, they don't have any records, lost in a fire.

Would love to find the father also, but i appreciate that very unlikely!!

As i'm reasonably new to this, i thought perhaps someone with more knowledge than me may be able to suggest something :o

Nic

Comment

The usual reply to a request for adoption records is lost in a fire, this never changes.......Edna

Comment

Is that right Edna...typical!!!!
          I do actually have a copy of her adoption cert, that's how i know her mother is Mary Hamilton.
          But can find no real leads on Mary at all.

Comment

Nic

Adoption certs do not normally mention the name of the birth mother. Are you sure that is what you have? Also, there were no adoption certificates before 1927.

Yes, any request for records to do with adoption/fostering gets a knee jerk response that the records were lost in a fire. I suggest you contact them again and ask when and where the fire took place! However, I doubt very much if they would tell you anything even if they do have the records as you are not directly involved.

Have you had a look for Mary on the 19112 census? Hopefully not too common a name!

OC

Comment

Do yu have access to Ancestry there is a Tree with the twins on it later in life,both born at 29 Malone t. Belfast Midnight Mission, they look like identical, Lizzy

Comment

Also her twins birth as was hers was Agnes born 12th Jan 1919 lizzy

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Nic

Adoption certs do not normally mention the name of the birth mother. Are you sure that is what you have? Also, there were no adoption certificates before 1927.

Yes, any request for records to do with adoption/fostering gets a knee jerk response that the records were lost in a fire. I suggest you contact them again and ask when and where the fire took place! However, I doubt very much if they would tell you anything even if they do have the records as you are not directly involved.

Have you had a look for Mary on the 19112 census? Hopefully not too common a name!

OC
                  Hi, sorry i have a duty of care agreement & a birth cert, from my Grandmothers documents.
                  Both contain mothers name & unfortunately Mary & Hamilton are quite common names in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by liz hutchison View Post
                    Do yu have access to Ancestry there is a Tree with the twins on it later in life,both born at 29 Malone t. Belfast Midnight Mission, they look like identical, Lizzy
                    Hi, yes i do have Ancestry, that could also be my Aunts Tree, she has the same info as me

Comment

Hi looking at the Adoption Papers which really is not it is a Formal Agreement between Mary and the couple involved.
                      So in saying that I checked out the address Mary gave on the Agreement,37 Victoria Street, in the 1911 Census and found this who I believe is your Mary
                      Maggie Hamilton Widow aged 50 years can read and write born Newtownards Presbyterian
                      Mary Hamilton Daughter aged 26 years Occupation Dressmaker Single born Newtownards Presbyterian. sorry plus she can read and write
                      so that would make Mary about 33-34 years old when she had her twin hope this helps Lizzy

Comment

Well done Liz, nice find!

OC

Comment

THank You took a while stll on the hunt for their Mum Mary,lizzy

Comment

I will do this again left the page and lost what I had wwritten
                            1901 Census
                            26 Bally Castle Road, Mount Stewart, not far from Newtownards maybe a mile;
                            Samuel Hamilton head of household aged 40 years labourer
                            Maggie Hamilton wife aged 40 years
                            Mary Anne Hamilton aged 15 years Embrodier
                            John Hamilton aged 16 years Game Keepers Boy
                            Samuel Hamilton aged 12 years scholar
                            William Hamilton aged 11 years scholar
                            James Hamilton aged 5 years scholar
                            Maggie Hamilton aged 3 years
                            All Prebytrians
                            All born in County Down
                            Worth a look so you can see if this is your family they are the only one with that suname that comes close, lizzy

Comment

Hi looking at the Adoption Papers which really is not it is a Formal Agreement between Mary and the couple involved.
                              So in saying that I checked out the address Mary gave on the Agreement,37 Victoria Street, in the 1911 Census and found this who I believe is your Mary
                              Maggie Hamilton Widow aged 50 years can read and write born Newtownards Presbyterian
                              Mary Hamilton Daughter aged 26 years Occupation Dressmaker Single born Newtownards Presbyterian. sorry plus she can read and write
                              so that would make Mary about 33-34 years old when she had her twin hope this helps Lizzy
                              WOW!!!! Well done Liz that's fabulous, Thankyou

Where is the address on the agreement, i can't see it? Nic
                              Last edited by NicWhiteley; 16-06-13, 21:37.

Comment

I will do this again left the page and lost what I had wwritten
                                1901 Census
                                26 Bally Castle Road, Mount Stewart, not far from Newtownards maybe a mile;
                                Samuel Hamilton head of household aged 40 years labourer
                                Maggie Hamilton wife aged 40 years
                                Mary Anne Hamilton aged 15 years Embrodier
                                John Hamilton aged 16 years Game Keepers Boy
                                Samuel Hamilton aged 12 years scholar
                                William Hamilton aged 11 years scholar
                                James Hamilton aged 5 years scholar
                                Maggie Hamilton aged 3 years
                                All Prebytrians
                                All born in County Down
                                Worth a look so you can see if this is your family they are the only one with that suname that comes close, lizzy
                                Superb, thankyou.......my Mum will be thrilled to bits

Would you mind posting links to the things you've found.....been on Ancestry can't find any of it :o
                                Last edited by NicWhiteley; 16-06-13, 22:15.

Comment

Its also known as Mount Stewart,Newtownards I know that James died in WW1, John marries will see what I can find about the rest of the family, Opps also at aged 41 Samuel the dad was on a Pension very sick still looking for his death between 1901 -1911. The address 37 Victoria Street is in Newtownards.Lizzy

Comment

Found this after much research and age checking and bare in mind with Census ages were not always spot on.
                                    Samuel Hamilton
                                    born 8th Nov 1872
                                    Parents James Hamilton aand Mary Martin.
                                    So this I believe is Maggies husband father of mary. Lizzy P.S. Big Hugs to your Mum xxx

Comment

Found this after much research and age checking and bare in mind with Census ages were not always spot on.
                                      Samuel Hamilton
                                      born 8th Nov 1872
                                      Parents James Hamilton aand Mary Martin.
                                      So this I believe is Maggies husband father of mary. Lizzy P.S. Big Hugs to your Mum xxx
                                      Hi Lizzy, have found this record, but am really struggling to find anything else.....could you post the links?
                                      Also where on the 'Adoption' record does it have an address for Mary? I can't find this either......am i just being really dense??
                                      Thankyou so much Nic

Comment

You are not dense its hard when i first started Gee Whiz!! I could cringe at the way I wrote things, the address is in the bottom left had corner the W O Upriahard is a Prebytian Minister so that is her witness to her signing that paper. will be away for a few days but will be back by friday if you have any questions and will send you the links, Im in Australia and just about to leave for the plane, Lizzy

Comment

Working...
                                        X