where is he

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where is he

I'm looking for Frederick Knight I've found him on the 1871 census he is in the Royal Military school Chelsea (with his brother Walter) his dob is stated as abt 1861. This clarified by the British library who found his birth details for me, born Rangoon, Bengal, India, 10/04/1861, his father is Henry Knight and mother named as Eliza his name is spelt Frederic on his Indian birth records but with a K when his at Chelsea.

I have found his brother Walter Knight born abt 1862 also India (British library had no birth details for him). I have Walter's M/C which confirms their fathers name is Henry who is occupation is described as a yaughtsman IOW. I have tracked Walter on the 1901 and 1911 census in London Lambeth and found his service record as he was in the 9th Lancers, he names his brother Frederick as his next of kin. Walter married in the IOW to Annie Blake I have tracked all their details.

I cannot find Frederick on any census after 1871 can anyone look to see if I missed him or I should be using a different search method only I'm all searched out.
    I cannot find their parents either I expect as children where born in India Henry was military too but cannot find him living on the IOW. I'm doing this for my cousin who lives in Australia she did say that Henry sometimes called himself Edward just to confuse me more.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions!
    GWEN

Admisssion ledgers for the school used to be available to search online, but it looks as though you now have to purchase a CD. Details are here

Doesn't help with your census problem, but his entry should give his father's regiment and what happened to Frederick when he left the school.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that its worth a go as I'm really stuck at the moment
      GWEN

Comment

There is a Private Henry Knight listed in the Worldwide Army Index of 1861, stationed in Rangoon with the 68th Foot (Durham), service number 2655. His service record is listed in WO97 through FindMyPast and gives his birth as Kingston, Surrey in 1830 - frustratingly the images linked to the index entry are not for him, but a completely different soldier (it appears to be an indexing error, which I have reported to FMP).
        Last edited by AntonyM; 14-06-13, 15:32.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi Anthony

Thanks for that information you dont know how grateful I am and my cousin will be we have been looking for him for ages of course assuming that's him.

How do you get access to the world wide army Index. I have a sub for FMP and will look on there and hope they rectify their error so I can look for more clues.

More than delighted thanks again
          GWEN

Comment

Also found Frederic IGI

India, Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947
            Name: Frederic Knight
            Christening Date: 10 Oct 1863
            Christening Place: Rangoon, Bengal, India
            Birth Date: 10 Apr 1861
            Birthplace: Chr. Rangoon Bengal India
            Father's Name: Henry Knight
            Mother's Name: Eliza
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C49325-2
            System Origin: India-EASy
            GS Film number: 499012
            Reference ID: v 106 p 415

my dad went to the Duke of York's!
            Last edited by Elaine; 14-06-13, 21:53.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

On Walter's military notes where it states next of kin, is the reference to ???Spt then says Delhi Railway India for Frederick? 1670 9 Les crossed out
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Elaine

Thanks for that information I will have a look at Walters military notes again as I did not notice that it read Delhi railway India I though it just said Frederick.

Thanks for the information
                GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                  Hi Anthony

Thanks for that information you dont know how grateful I am and my cousin will be we have been looking for him for ages of course assuming that's him.

How do you get access to the world wide army Index. I have a sub for FMP and will look on there and hope they rectify their error so I can look for more clues.

More than delighted thanks again
                  The 1861 Army index is one of the military sources available on FMP - I managed to find the wrongly indexed image of his discharge (WO97) record on FMP here...

Browse over 1000 years of historical records made available for you to search by Findmypast.

It confirms he was in Rangoon and he appears to have finally left the army in 1864. He gives his place of intended residence as Chelsea. But there is no mention of details of family to confirm he is the right man.
                  Last edited by AntonyM; 15-06-13, 14:21.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                  X